QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Could it be a joke? Trains are fast, efficient, on time... so the story is paced likewise.

Haha, I hope not, that would kill the series before half the season is even over. That said, I doubt the rest of the series would be so cramped as the first. Hopefully.

@arren: The 1st ep is only an intro to the series and characters, so nothing about the actual show is known yet. It probably won't be as out of whack as FLCL, if that's what you're hoping for.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.07.2014, 12:06 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Another, Steins;Gate, Lucky Star, and about to start Higurashi no naku kori ni.

Got a lot going on, don't I?

07.07.2014, 12:18 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd like to hear what you think about Another. It's on my 'to-watch' list but I'm just not sure about starting it. I'm not a fan of horror and gore.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2014, 07:41 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@arren: The 1st ep is only an intro to the series and characters, so nothing about the actual show is known yet. It probably won't be as out of whack as FLCL, if that's what you're hoping for.

That's not really what I'm expecting. Rather, I saw the character designs a looong long time ago, years before I could have imagined an anime about railroad police women, so now that it's somehow turned into an anime, I'm hoping to get some entertainment out of how strange the whole thing is.

07.07.2014, 09:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On the subject of trains...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2014, 12:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Finished Bakemonogatari and now starting on Nisemonogatari...

07.07.2014, 02:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ooh, let me know what you think.

07.07.2014, 05:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Ooh, let me know what you think.

Interesting so far, but a tremendous amount of dialogue and I've seen some of the punning that was mentioned...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.07.2014, 05:49 PM.

07.07.2014, 05:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well the term "monogatari" literally means story, so yea you'd expect a literal truckload of storytelling I suppose, haha.

quote:
I'd like to hear what you think about Another. It's on my 'to-watch' list but I'm just not sure about starting it. I'm not a fan of horror and gore.

Then you'll probably be better of not watching it. If I had to give a description, it's loosely similar to the Final Destination series, where your "enemy" is death itself, but unlike the movie series, the deaths are not necessarily all freakish in nature; several were quite expected, even logical when explained.

Conversely, for anyone who loves horror/gore, Corpse Party would be way up there.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.08.2014, 12:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the first episode of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. It wasn't one of my main list of shows to watch, but the premise sounded pretty funny, and write-ups of the first episode sounded promising, so I gave it a shot. So far so good! I enjoyed the jokes, and the set-up provides plenty of scope for more.

07.09.2014, 09:04 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Oh, I also watched Sailor Moon Crystal. I had a few problems with it (the art style not being versatile enough to work with comedy, Usagi being obnoxious, and the fact that Sailor Moon just seems kinda cheesy in 2014) - but I think these are things that are likely to work themselves out fairly quickly, and it was still pretty fun to watch.

07.10.2014, 05:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Watched the first episode of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. It wasn't one of my main list of shows to watch, but the premise sounded pretty funny, and write-ups of the first episode sounded promising, so I gave it a shot. So far so good! I enjoyed the jokes, and the set-up provides plenty of scope for more.

I thought it was super cute/funny! Definitely the best first ep of a shoujo anime I've seen in awhile. It's sweet without being nauseating and is very self-aware throughout. Thus far it reminds me of stuff like Lovely Complex - cute without being overly self indulgent.

07.10.2014, 11:53 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

It seems to be more comedy than romance, especially from the bits and pieces I've seen from the manga, which is not quite what I expected, but considering how much the first episode made me laugh, I'm okay with that.

07.10.2014, 12:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

It's good hear good reviews on it, because I'm still on the fence on whether to watch it or not.

On that topic, Ao Haru Ride gives off the same atmosphere as Honey and Clover. It's a feel-good series, and I'm really enjoying the slow-paced sugar-sweet melancholy. At least, it's a refreshing change of pace from stuff like Train Wars or Akame Kill

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.22.2014, 03:14 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My dad and I started watching Mushishi last night. I'd been meaning to watch it for years and thought it would be one that he'd like too, judging by what I'd heard of it, so... we watched the first four episodes last night. The art in it is absolutely beautiful, by far the best I've seen outside of a Ghibli film; I really like the atmosphere, and the stories themselves are interesting and magical. The only thing that seems to be missing for me so far is some vein of continuity, anything at all to link the individual episodes together. I want to know more about Ginko and his story, since he (and the mushi of course) are the only constants. Or maybe this style is just something I need to get used to. Just seems a bit odd to have a series of twenty-six mini stories without something to tie them together particularly. Maybe this will unfold as we watch.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.22.2014, 04:49 AM.

07.22.2014, 04:48 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I haven't seen all of series one. After about 1/2 way though I found it harder and harder to watch for the exact reason you gave. It seems to be merely a random series of closed encounters with no over reaching story.

One of the things I do find curious and appealing about it is that its all set in medieval Japan, or at least seems to be, yet Ginko himself is modern. He's blonde and western-looking, wears contemporary clothes and smokes what look like modern cheroots.

Maybe this never gets explained. Maybe it just is and its a part of the strangeness of the series.

07.22.2014, 05:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Sometimes artistic choices like that are just pragmatic. There are lots of images out there showing screencaps of a classroom full of kids with black hair, and then there'll be one with bright pink hair and a different uniform or something, and the joke is that you can always tell who the main character is. It's because, especially with simpler art styles, giving the main character a look that stands out is really helpful even if it isn't exactly realistic.

07.22.2014, 05:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Another was pretty good, Saddles. It wasn't on my favorites list, but overall, pretty good.

07.22.2014, 10:39 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I haven't seen all of series one. After about 1/2 way though I found it harder and harder to watch for the exact reason you gave. It seems to be merely a random series of closed encounters with no over reaching story.

One of the things I do find curious and appealing about it is that its all set in medieval Japan, or at least seems to be, yet Ginko himself is modern. He's blonde and western-looking, wears contemporary clothes and smokes what look like modern cheroots.

Maybe this never gets explained. Maybe it just is and its a part of the strangeness of the series.

A number of your questions are answered at least partially in episode 12. But otherwise, yes, there is not much of an overarching story. I don't see it as being "merely" a series of vignettes, though; the fact that it's episodic isn't really a weakness, it's just a description. There are tons of shows like that. It's a valid style of serial storytelling, and considering how consistently high quality the stories are, I think the show definitely succeeds on its own terms. It's one of the best anime of all time, easily.

07.22.2014, 11:46 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Started Zankyou no Terror. The first episode was really good. It's unusual and exciting to be watching an anime series that's a proper thriller, and there's plenty of mystery to get me interested in seeing more.

07.23.2014, 12:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks