QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Currently watching Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond. Since watching Tekkon Kinkreet I've really got into Studio 4degC and found a few of their music video animations such as Survival by Glay, the awesome Four Day Weekend by the Bluetones, Fluximation by Utada and Studio 4dC's own Amazing Nuts series.

All their work is really mind bendingly odd but very good, very powerful images that stick in your head. Some of the Genius Party shorts are just plain strange with a capital S. I'm glad I found this stuff, its quite unlike any other anime I've watched.

I've also started Kara no Kyoukai but it has a couple of really dubious plot loopholes so I'm not fully comfortable with it yet. Only seen the first episode.

Working my way slowly through Kimi no Todoke which is cute and harmless enough but has one of those annoying anime-girl- &-boy-almost-in-love-but-just-not-quite-getting-it things. So frustrating. I end up shouting at the screen, they are so dim-witted!

Still watching Mawaru Penguindrum, but its complexity is so dense I can only watch it in small doses.

Watched the two 'new' Ghost in the Shell "Arise" series movies. Quite good but this franchise is getting a bit old and samey now. If they are going to keep ploughing these out they need to get a new scriptwriter or storywriter in and have a fresh take on things.

Rewatching Welcme to the NHK. Just as funky and disturbing as it was the first time.

I too have got the urge to rewatch Utena in the last couple of weeks as well.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.01.2014, 10:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the creators of Nourin has a serious Miyazaki complex. The last episode had a really long homage to Mononoke Hime using virtually the entire scene of Ashitaka's first battle with the Tatarigami.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.02.2014, 11:19 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Started watching Aku no Hana. I went into this with trepidation because of the discussion about the rotoscoping but... I was blown away. It's brilliant. The hyper-realistic faces and the nearly photographic backgrounds fit the subject matter perfectly. I've watched 2 episodes so far and its intensly creepy, much more so than the manga.

The ending theme and the computer distorted voices that recite it are even creepier but fabulously moody.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.04.2014, 07:32 PM.

03.04.2014, 07:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not been on for a while, sorry guys life is keeping me busy. I have found the time to watch Death Note, I am on episode 30. Wow, just wow it's an amazing series honestly I am so In love with it.

03.05.2014, 04:54 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No problem, Spidey...

I watched the first disc of Samurai Gun today and immediately canceled the rest of the series from Netflix. I cannot believe that anyone would like that series...

03.06.2014, 02:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Up to Ep 6 of Aku no Hana. This is so unbelievably creepy. I'm almost at the stage where I want to watch it but can't bear to.

03.06.2014, 07:41 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Up to Ep 6 of Aku no Hana. This is so unbelievably creepy. I'm almost at the stage where I want to watch it but can't bear to.

Somewhat the way I felt... But I kept on, more to see just how it would end up than anything...

03.06.2014, 10:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seems like I should really check out the Aku no Hana anime next, although I'm afraid the story will seem incomplete after having read the manga. It's directed by the same guy who did Mushi-shi, so that's certainly promising.

03.06.2014, 06:11 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone know much about Love Hina ?, I managed to pick up the box set for £15.

03.08.2014, 08:06 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by SpideyIncarnated

Love it, actually have two sets, lol. I goofed and bought another set by accident, forgot about the first one. Very funny, poor guy, Keitaro...

From wiki:
The series has proved extremely popular around the world, both commercially and critically. In Japan, the manga sold over 16 million copies; over 1 million anime DVDs were also sold. The English release of the manga has been reprinted many times. Both anime and manga have received numerous industry awards in Japan and North America, as well as praise from critics.

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.08.2014, 10:52 AM.

03.08.2014, 10:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by SpideyIncarnated

Its a very average comedy harem series. Its harmless enough and you may like it if you enjoy goofy nerdy hopeless guys surrounded by sexy gals but who repeatedly "don't get it". Its the kind if thing I watched years ago but these days these sorts of things just annoy me.

03.08.2014, 02:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I finished Aku no Hana. That was a weird and wild and creepy6 roller-coaster ride. Superb in every sense except that it ended too soon. The point where I expected the story to end from the manga wasn't where it did and the choice of ending was an odd one. The closing music suggested a second season may be in the works, so lets hope so.

Back to Mawaru Penguindrum!

03.12.2014, 03:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll get round to Aku no Hana eventually... That and many other shows.

Let us know how Penguindrum goes!

03.13.2014, 09:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Koda
Ohmu

Started watching Fairy Tales, so far seems good anyone else seen this ?

03.16.2014, 12:40 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Finished Umineko no Naku koro ni, supposed the sequel to the Higurashi series. Problem is, the Umineko series ended without a conclusion, so it's hard to like it. Also, supposedly the anime was barely a shadow compared to the original game, which supposedly was comparable to any great whodunnit mystery series.

The premise of the story is simple: The witch Beatrice has come to claim back the gold she loaned to the Ushiromiya head, with plenty of interest. When almost everyone was dead, there were "revived" and acknowledged Beatrice as a witch... except for Battler, the head's grandson.

The idea is for Battler to explain every single one of Beatrice's "closed-room murders" using logic in order to disprove the existence of witches or magic. Most of the time, it is also challenged to remove suspicion from every one of the 18 victims in the setting.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.20.2014, 09:59 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Umineko stands out for me as a show that I dropped even after watching most of it. It was just so unbearably frustrating, because the way it was presented made it feel like watching somebody play Ace Attorney badly. I too have heard that the game is far superior.

03.21.2014, 12:19 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Umineko stands out for me as a show that I dropped even after watching most of it. It was just so unbearably frustrating, because the way it was presented made it feel like watching somebody play Ace Attorney badly. I too have heard that the game is far superior.

I'm worried that translations will take away some of the references originally in Japanese. It shouldn't be many, but if they exist, it'd be frustating trying to solve a puzzle only the japanese would understand. Wordplays are especially notorious for that.

That said, I found this link: http://witch-hunt.com/links.html

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.22.2014, 12:55 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Finished Noragami. I liked it even though the final arc felt a little bit short considering its overall importance. However, I've heard that it was an anime-only arc due to the next manga arc being too long. I might start reading the manga, because it was definitely a good show.

03.24.2014, 11:08 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished watching "Dragon Boy Taro" from 1979. About to be expected from an older film like that, good, but meh IMO...

03.28.2014, 11:30 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

So Kill la Kill finished today. It was a really fun ride while it lasted, and honestly I think it lived up to the hype. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like to be entertained and excited, it's well worth watching.

03.28.2014, 12:50 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks