QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  ...    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Still really enjoying Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun! It's very funny and sweet.

I haven't watched Ao Haru Ride, I follow the manga closely and so I don't know how much it'd add for me. It's one of my favourite shoujo though. Even 42 chapters in it hasn't lost an ounce of it's sweetness or interest. I feel like despite being composed of a lot of tropes, it has an unusually strong refreshing feeling about it. The heroine is one of the most likeable I've come across, and the art design whilst not complex is still very lovely in my mind.

07.23.2014, 01:02 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm still enjoying Nozaki-kun too. The characters and situations are very funny. I'm glad they've got through the character introduction episodes though, because I feel that aspect is beginning to drag.

07.24.2014, 02:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Susuwatarii
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.20.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Susuwatarii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm watching Usagi Drop and... I thought there were others too, hehe... right, Flowers of Evil! I'm watching Baka to Test as well (that one is so funny, like the funniest one I've ever watched).

07.24.2014, 02:57 PM Susuwatarii is offline   Profile for Susuwatarii Add Susuwatarii to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Still watching and enjoying Mushishi. On episode seventeen now. I got what I'd wanted a few episodes ago, an episode on Ginko's past.

I find all these little stories original and interesting. No two are a bit the same and you can never predict the end; sometimes you expect a happy end and it never comes, and sometimes it does, and sometimes it ends bittersweetly. Dad's really enjoying it too, which is nice.

My Anime List

07.29.2014, 02:58 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Susuwatarii
I'm watching Usagi Drop and... I thought there were others too, hehe... right, Flowers of Evil! I'm watching Baka to Test as well (that one is so funny, like the funniest one I've ever watched).

Ah! Someone else watching Usagi Drop - please tell me what you think of it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.29.2014, 03:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the live-action film of Usagi Drop, ages ago. It was really sweet.

My Anime List

07.29.2014, 03:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Originally posted by Susuwatarii

Ah! Someone else watching Usagi Drop - please tell me what you think of it.

This isn't a new series right? It's the one with the grown man and the little girl? I think I've seen all of it it was very sweet and heartwarming. I may even give the manga a try since I know it follows quite awhile after the series ends.

EDIT: Okay so I finished up the manga (there aren't a ton of chapters from when the series ends and I had nothing on this evening. If you finish the series and want to know what happens next, look below. But obviously below are LARGE SPOILERS so be careful of that.

Spoiler!, highlight to read.
Mehh okay so halfway through the manga it transitions to Rin being a high-schooler, though you have a fair few chapters where it goes back to moments in her time in middle-school or whatever. I generally enjoy a time-jump in mangas which feature small children, and it was nice seeing the little characters grown up and what personalities they had taken on. Generally this is done very well, still maintaining a sweet atmosphere and building on the relationships between characters. However, towards the end (now SERIOUSLY do not continue reading this if you don't want it spoiled for you) Rin becomes aware that she has feelings for Daikichi. Earlier we've learnt that she isn't actually related to Daikichi and that she was merely adopted by his grandfather, but Rin is unaware of this initially. She is troubled by her feelings (well duh) and freaks Daikichi out a fair bit, but discovers the truth of her parentage when visiting her birth mother who she has re-connected with a little. She then re-confesses (sort of) to Daikichi and he tells her he needs 2 years to adjust to viewing her as a woman and not with parental feelings (she's only 16 at this time after all and he's 40). There is another time skip and we have her graduating and he proposes marriage and then another mini-skip and from what I understood the two are married. All through this though we don't see any physical intimacy between the two, and I think that's because the mangaka must be as aware as the reader that this all feels like a kind of uncomfortable ending. Daikichi raised her since she was a child of 5, viewing her as a parent would, than at 16 when she decides she has feelings for him he changes that? If I read in the news that a 40+ year old man had married the girl he'd raised since the age of 5, I would consider that super sketchy. I know these kinds of stories are quite popular in manga, but in this example particularly it felt reaaaally weird. I've read other manga with a similar concept where it didn't so much, and I think it's because we have no implication that Daikichi has those kinds of feelings for her at all until right right at the end there. It just doesn't feel like the healthy and natural solution to the story, in my opinion. I would have found it much more heartwarming to see him emotionally giving her away at her wedding, and then playing with his quasi-'grandkids'. This feels super creepy. Purely personal opinion though!

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.29.2014, 09:17 PM.

07.29.2014, 03:51 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I started watching DRAMAtical Murder. It's not bad, the eye candy is nice, but it's not quite setting my world on fire like I thought it might*.

*Translation: Kaz wants more BL.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 08.01.2014, 12:41 PM.

08.01.2014, 12:40 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

NC, I thought the rest of the story told in the manga was really nice and very well told. I loved the ending.

There's a lot of different views about the ending but its made very clear right from the start that Rin never sees Daikichi as her parent. "Daikichi is Daikichi".

Dai of course learns very early on (before she knows) that they are not related either. The mangkata has written other stories that explore taboo or almost taboo subjects, its her style (I think its a 'she') and this was clearly something she intended from the start; to make people explore their own feelings towards this situation.

The board I followed the story on was full of people ranting and raving and angry about "incest" and that to me only shows two things: their own narrowmindedness and that they didn't fully take in and understand the nuances of the story.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.01.2014, 03:24 PM.

08.01.2014, 03:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Once again struggling to keep up with the shows I've chosen. I think the problem is that each season, there are many things with potential to be good, but then I don't really have time to give everything a fair chance. Even so, I want to catch up with this season's stuff.

At the moment, I'm still up-to-date with Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, which is my favourite of the season so far. I'm also on the way to catching up on Zankyou no Terror, and it seems like it could turn out to be really good.

08.03.2014, 08:55 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I started watching The World Is Still Beautiful and so far it's making me happy, largely because King Livius is such an adorable little brat. He's like a little alternate-dimension Lelouche.

DRAMAtical Murder continues to fail to impress me.

My Anime List

08.14.2014, 06:20 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I started watching The World Is Still Beautiful and so far it's making me happy, largely because King Livius is such an adorable little brat. He's like a little alternate-dimension Lelouche.
I never made that connection but damn you're right. Although the series isn't anywhere as dark as Code Geass though.

Well I like gore, so Tokyo Ghoul it is for me. It's one of those horror series that attempts to humanize what we perceive to be monsters, where a human accidentally got turned into one of "them" and begins to learn their lifestyle.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.16.2014, 11:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm hearing good things about Tokyo Ghoul and I've seen a little fan art... I think I'll give it a try, I might enjoy it. Gore is kind of a non-issue for me, I neither like nor dislike it.

I finished The World Is Still Beautiful. Sweet little series. Very enjoyable, full of cuteness and warm fuzzies.

And I then started the new series of Kuroshitsuji! It's a little strange, in that this series is not a continuation of the last; instead it is set between the first and second series... more or less. That aside, it was quite glorious. Very reminiscent of the very first episode. I slightly dislike watching this now when I already know how the story ultimately ends; I'd rather they'd made this the second series rather than dropping it in between the series now, but that's not going to stop me enjoying it. It will be great fun, judging by how it's started. It's a little nostalgic; the elements and atmosphere and such are just how they were in the first series.

My Anime List

08.17.2014, 03:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally watched some anime.

Tried Ao Haru Ride which is pretty typical of school life shoujo romance but with some nice coming of age, finding yourself themes. I'm really enjoying it.

Also watching Urobochi's show, Aldnoah.Zero. Mecha goodness basically. Main male character reminds me of Heero from Gundam Wing.

08.17.2014, 11:51 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
NC, I thought the rest of the story told in the manga was really nice and very well told. I loved the ending.

Mhmm, I definitely understand your point Saddle!

I wouldn't say I had a strong reaction that it was 'incest' as such, but more that I felt like in a real life scenario it would be kind of disturbing. I think it was handled in quite a sweet way but I think I would have enjoyed it even more if they hadn't ended up together. I wouldn't say it spoilt it for me in anyway, I would have just preferred for it to end otherwise. I've read manga with a similar theme where I've felt I understood a parental-figure-raised-child pairing worked more comfortably. This is purely just my opinion though!

08.19.2014, 08:30 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Zankyou no Terror is amazeballs. My favourite thing from this season, and many previous seasons.

@Usagi Drop manga ending, I had pretty much the same feelings as NC. I felt that part of the relationship was excessive and unnecessary... like the mangaka was ticking off a box, almost.

08.19.2014, 01:57 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
hunters moon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.15.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hunters moon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just bought satoshi kon's third feature~tokyo godfathers.
I like this very much as I do his first two, perfect blue and
millennium actress.
regards J .

08.24.2014, 11:22 PM hunters moon is offline   Profile for hunters moon Add hunters moon to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has ended

It was so good! It was really cute and funny. The comedy aspect was really well done, it even rivals Love Com in that regard. The romance is almost non-existent I would say, but not in an overly-frustrating or irritating way.

The character of Mikorin is adorable as well, he is probably one of my favorite male characters now.

I'd recommend

09.22.2014, 11:08 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

^ If it's on Crunchyroll, I shall give it a go.

At the moment I'm watching Free! and Love Stage. Love Stage isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It isn't particularly good, not the biggest fan of the animation style, but it has its moments. Free is better. Still not fantastic, but definitely enjoyable.

My Anime List

09.22.2014, 06:10 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I was about to post about Nozaki-kun too! I'll really miss this show, as it was consistently enjoyable every week. It's a great romantic comedy that knows how far to press the romance without it getting in the way of laughs. I also love how it plays with various cliches, and ends up producing a great cast of original characters.

09.22.2014, 07:55 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks