QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  585  586  587  588  589  590  591  592  593  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Today's been odd.

I'm never sure how to react to death. Today I found out my uncle passed away.

Because of certain circumstances it's not in the "I'm sad he died" but in the suddenness and the fact he hid such a serious illness from us all.

There's also been other illness related news in my family. I'm a bit nervous..

WL: I kinda feel sad because I posted in a group about feelings regarding this but didn't really receive any posts that were helpful in return. But someone else posted on the death subject and everyone was cheering them on. Made me feel odd.

I think it's because I share pretty deep problems and I guess they don't have the experience to know how to deal with it or offer any advice. But still, it makes me feel put in the corner a bit.

06.04.2015, 11:49 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I went picnicking in the park with my sister today! We had croissants and salami and avacado with lime, some Mascarpone, and a Baclava Cheesecake. Quite a delightful way to spend an afternoon.

06.05.2015, 02:40 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ FFF: I'm sorry. It's not nice being ignored, even in that sort of situation.

@ Flare: That sounds so delicious. o.o

HL: I have a job interview~
LL: everyone on the internet says the company is awful.

My Anime List

06.05.2015, 04:20 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

FFF:
Death comes to us all, without fail. The best that can be done is to live your life as best you can. To be as close to others that are dear to you as you are able... We all react to the death of a loved one in our own way, some calmly and some in denial and some in anguish, to name a few of the ways. You deal with your Uncle's death in your own way.
I'm maybe feeling kinda melancholy right now because I just finished watching "The Wind Rises" again and still feeling the sorrow from the film.

Flare:
It is great that you can share such a moment with your sister. With the wide difference in our ages, my sister and I bonded while she was young, but not so much in the later years as we were in different cities.

Kaz:
All you can do is make the best of it. If the rumors turn out to be true, then it is up to you to decide what you want to do or where you want to go

06.05.2015, 04:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Wind Rises gives me so many feelings.. Actually, I own it now so maybe I'll try having a movie night with some of the students to watch it.

Also, congrats on getting an interview, Kaz! If it's a chain company, it might not be so bad. It really depends what you're looking for. I'm someone who could never really work for a bad manager (I can't stand being yelled at and I'd probably lose it and let them have it, or cry). I mean, I've worked a variety of jobs. The factory I worked at fortunately was pretty decent for a company. It's just the work sucked. A lot. haha

LL: I always find internships I want to do but they're unpaid and my heart sinks a little.

06.06.2015, 09:33 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is understood that money is important, but experience is important as well... hence the value of an unpaid internship... If it is a field that you are interested in...

06.06.2015, 01:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
It is understood that money is important, but experience is important as well... hence the value of an unpaid internship... If it is a field that you are interested in...

Yeah, but how am I going to pay the interest on my loans let alone the loan payments? If I don't I mess over my parents who can't afford the payments and chances of my sister being able to eventually attend school. How can I afford a place to stay, traveling expenses, and food for the duration of an unpaid internship? How can I basically afford to take 6 months of my time to do full time work unpaid?

It'd be nice, but these internships usually require a degree and experience, but I also have to work. Doing it full time would also require me to move away and potentially to another country. As much as I would absolutely love to do it, I would really need to work out all the expenses just to be able to afford that amount of time off. Maybe if I couldn't get a job right away I would, but then come my parents. They'd kill me if I wasn't working.

My boyfriend is hoping to help me with this at least since there are a few I'm genuinely hoping to involve myself with. But my loan payments are going to be quite high monthly and I can't mess over my parents' credit and my eventual credit. If it were 2 months, maybe, but six is kind of pushing it..

06.06.2015, 11:06 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

As I said, the money aspect is important and if you're not in a position to do an internship unpaid, then that is just the way it is. We are all behind you which ever way you go and wish you the best.

I was fortunate in that I didn't have to pay for my college, but was paid by the government to attend under the GI Bill because of my military service.

Is there any chance that you can skip a year to get your finances in a better position? Working full time for a while? Just a suggestion as I don't know your situation...

06.07.2015, 02:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
As I said, the money aspect is important and if you're not in a position to do an internship unpaid, then that is just the way it is. We are all behind you which ever way you go and wish you the best.

I was fortunate in that I didn't have to pay for my college, but was paid by the government to attend under the GI Bill because of my military service.

Is there any chance that you can skip a year to get your finances in a better position? Working full time for a while? Just a suggestion as I don't know your situation...

Not really. I only have one year left and because I don't have regular student loans where you make no payments until after you graduate my family makes the interest and insurance payments.

Not sure whether this was a better route than student loans. lol Because I found out that if you get a certain amount over student loans and complete your degree in four years they forgive a huge chunk of the money you owe. But then again I think they've just changed this rule. They also took away one of the tax benefits for graduating students that was being used as incentive to keep people here.

The internship I'm interested in would let a student in but I still don't have money for living expenses or food, or to fly there. haha So no chance for me.

06.07.2015, 11:29 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey guys, just dropping by to say hi.

So supposedly I haven't been here for over a month (who's counting) and while I'd like to say that something big happened in my life, nothing that dramatic actually happened.

On a side note, sorry to hear about your foot, husky. Kinda wondering which kid of yours was the one who logged in, but anyway. Congrats to fen on her job at... Ghana? Really? Wow. Like shocked kinda wow, cuz Ghana's not the kind of place you'd expect a friend, much less a Canadian, to be working in. Kaz and arren though, yeah, haha.

I've mostly just been bogged down by life mostly. I'm loving my life as a technician, not so much though the cycling. I passed my bike license, but I still have to buy one so I'm mulling over that; the fasting month is coming up soon and I'm not too hot about cycling while fasting. Until then, I'm just dog tired when i reach home, which is why I'm rarely online nowadays. That, and my router at home is being problematic so internet connection's been sketchy. Or maybe it's my service provider.

Also my pregnant sister moved back home because she couldn't get along with her mother-in-law. Something being forced to eat all the time, but anyway, it means I have to move back to my room. Which, as some of you may know, is where I have TWO brothers living in as well. My mom insists that my sister "needs" a queen-size bed for her husband, never mind that they just got their keys to their newly built apartment, and even if not, for the (very) occasional guests who "may want to rest". Neither of my brothers are of any use (almost literally) and my sister is just keeping mum, so it's up to me to redecorate two rooms by myself, at my own cost and time.

And a "friend" is becoming very vulgar and insulting, so I told him I'm cutting ties with him until he changes. His initial (also very hurried) apology seems like a lie because now he has decided that I am an a-hole and is going around spouting insults about me. The only good thing is that everyone already knows what kind of person I really am, which is comforting because I really pride myself for honesty and integrity.

Also conflictingly sad because I bought gold before it decided to nosedive, but because of the exchange rate it actually went up a bit in SGD, haha. So much for aiming for 10% profit by the year's end. Still, 3.5% in two months ain't half bad eh?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.07.2015, 11:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Went to Indiana to visit two of my sister's college professors and their adorable daughter, and it was a life changing experience. In my household, there's a lot of rules (not as many as their could be, but still, a lot), and lots of fretting over things that don't really matter, like getting crumbs on the couch or leaving an Ipad on a countertop. Not so much there. They only cared about things that mattered, like wether or not their daughter was happy or that everyone was feeling okay. It didn't matter what they were wearing or that I was drinking soda in the playroom, they only cared about happiness and work and creating and learning and growth. It was an eye-opening experience because it made me learn how I want to live, not sweating the small stuff.

Also, yay, Roar's back!

06.08.2015, 08:43 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight: degree classification results came out today and I got a first! I didn't really mind what I got in the end so this was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure that means anything to people outside of the UK though.

06.08.2015, 09:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Highlight: degree classification results came out today and I got a first! I didn't really mind what I got in the end so this was a pleasant surprise. I'm not sure that means anything to people outside of the UK though.

1st class?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.08.2015, 09:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well done Arren! That's fantastic!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.08.2015, 11:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, arren, for us colonials (lol), elucidate if you would... Other than the fact that it was a good thing, I have little idea of what you are referring to.

HL:
Glad to see you back, Roar...

One time when working security in a nightclub, I was approached by seven people (4 women and 3 men) wanting to kick some security butt. The female leader said I was an A...hole... I quickly thought, and answered with, "Yeah, but I'm a nice A...hole" and turned around and walked away. They finished their drinks and left. (phew)
So I don't care what anyone says about you, Roar, you're a nice you-know-what, lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.08.2015, 06:06 PM.

06.08.2015, 05:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So when you get your degree, the final mark that you get determines what class it is. It can be first, second or third, with second being divided into 2:1 and 2:2.

06.08.2015, 06:21 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, probably like first class honours here. Wow!

Mine will just be a regular degree with no special average. lol Sadly.. aw well.

But hey, my GPA is finally almost a 2.5 again! Aiming for 2.7 so I can at least attempt applying for teacher's college if I need to. But I doubt I'll get in..

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 06.09.2015, 12:50 AM.

06.09.2015, 12:47 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

So like my 2-yr degree was with honors because I kept a GPA of 3.5 or more...

06.09.2015, 12:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

The way honours works is different here too. At least in Scottish universities (I think it might be different in England) most undergraduate degrees are four years. Doing all of that means it is an honours degree, though the classification can vary. I think non-honours only happens if you do a shorter programme.

06.09.2015, 06:09 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

HL: My parents are back from getting married in Hawaii!
LL: My parents are back from getting married in Hawaii.

06.09.2015, 08:41 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  585  586  587  588  589  590  591  592  593  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks