QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  583  584  585  586  587  588  589  590  591  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HHL: Oh, wanted to tell everyone this is my first semester of university without a C and where I passed everything. Like, really well! My overall GPA is still not as high as I'd like it but it's climbing! I'm finally around a 2.5 again and I could not be happier. I'm still hoping to be around 2.7 to a 3.0 by the time I graduate! My GPA for the semester was over 3.0!

This is *still* considered pretty low to many, but considering how difficult school has been for me and how long it's taken me to raise my GPA to this level I almost cried with happiness.

Next goal, to graduate on time without failing any subjects and hopefully getting into JET. I'm so nervous but excited!

Also, I'm thinking of doing an independent study for my last Women's Studies course! What should I focus on? I know my professor would probably be really willing to work with me on doing a study but I'm just not sure what area to focus on. I could do it on women's rights in East Asia but I feel like expanding the topic a bit.

Heck, I could do it on anime if I wanted to. lol She watches it and loves Ghibli films.

05.13.2015, 08:04 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's great new FFF, I'm happy things are looking up for you! You have had a rough time but your hard work's paid off. Well done. ^_^

HL: just submitted my last essay for the year. First one I've honestly found really interesting to research, for personal reasons I guess - I decided to do it on transgenderism in Japan and how things have changed through the last century and into this one. Essay's done as I say but I really want to do some further reading.

LL: two language portfolios due tomorrow, ugh. I have most of the work done for them but it's all the admin nonsense I hate, evalutation sheets and self-reflection sheets and learning objectives and all this stuff. Such a bother.

My Anime List

05.14.2015, 07:01 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ugh. College sounds not fun.

Hl: my book is really good!
Ll: had a near-death scare with my glasses.

05.14.2015, 09:25 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
That's great new FFF, I'm happy things are looking up for you! You have had a rough time but your hard work's paid off. Well done. ^_^

HL: just submitted my last essay for the year. First one I've honestly found really interesting to research, for personal reasons I guess - I decided to do it on transgenderism in Japan and how things have changed through the last century and into this one. Essay's done as I say but I really want to do some further reading.

Hey, one of my friends from Japan wrote a lot of her personal reflection essays on transgenderism in Japan. Mainly involving how hard it was for her ex-boyfriend. Sounds fun though! My friend is part of the Gender Studies club at a prestigious university there and might major in it, if possible. Right now she's been classified as being in a general degree.

It's too bad you didn't live here while she was here, or that she came to Canada instead of the UK for her exchange. lol I think the two of you would've gotten along very well. Her essays were always so thoughtful and discussed a lot of important aspects on gender in Japan.

Now I really miss her and my guy friend I haven't seen in a year. lol I just want to go to Japan. I just want to see everyone again. I wish I'd gotten to know my guy friend better while he was here because chatting with him online I realize he's a really deep and thoughtful person, not that I didn't realize he was the latter while he was here. lol I'd really like to make friends with more guys like him, but he seems pretty rare already.

HL: Yay, the girls are slowly coming to me to ask for help with their presentations. haha It's so fun. Their teachers make them take a Critical Thinking class because the education system in Japan doesn't always get students to think critically or develop opinions (this obviously differs, but it's a problem here too). So they get a variety of interesting topics.

05.14.2015, 10:22 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL:
Dang neuropathy. the pain in my left foot is major owiee...
Makes it hard to walk and shoes??? forget about it, no way, so i cut an old pair of slippers to put on my left foot...

Other than that, I feel fine and feel that, in time, this too shall pass...

05.15.2015, 01:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
not neuropathy after all, but an infection from somewhere. Either cellulitis or a foot joint infection. The Dr. was getting different reading, so to speak, on his testing of my foot...

On antibiotics and pain meds...

You're stuck with me for a while longer...lol

05.16.2015, 03:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@FFF congrats!!! That's so awesome!!!!!!!!!!

@Husky you're okay right???? That means you're okay??? Hope your foot feels better soon though!!!

HL: I got a decent amount of work done this morning for once! And it's a very lovely day outside.

LL: I just called the nurse advice line because I have a bunch of weird spots and apparently they're probably a result of my meds. Which is probably fine, but apparently you're not supposed to drink caffeine with the meds I'm taking. And my doctor didn't bother to tell me not to take caffeine even though she asked before she prescribed it to me and I said that I drank coffee every morning and I can't even call and ask what I should do until tomorrow

05.17.2015, 06:16 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kiki
I usually have a fresh cup of decaf every morning. And the soda I drink is usually caffeine-free Pepsi. It surprised me when I found out, but Root Beer is also caffeine-free.

I was warned by my DR and the Pharmacist about the 800mg Ibuprofen that they gave me. It acts with the Coumidin I'm also taking and I could end up with a bleeding stomach. Before any further meds are given to me, the VA pharmacy checks for things like that. As it is being taken for pain, I took one full one, and a half later, yesterday and only one 400 today( cut them in half). I was prescribed 800 every 6 hours.

But other that that, yes, I'm doing fine, thank you for asking...

LL:
sigh, got a mousy in the housy! As I sit at the computer and watch the screen, I can see it running around the front room occasionally, at one point only about 2 ft away before it turned around... Gotta catch the little bugger before I have a house-full... It's happened before, years ago. I think the discing done in the fiels/pasture next door probably caused it to come my way. sigh.

05.17.2015, 08:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight: today I had an interview (well really a day of elimination rounds culminating in a simple interview) for another job in Japan, teaching English. It's a highlight because it went well and I will hear about it very soon!

05.18.2015, 06:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Highlight: today I had an interview (well really a day of elimination rounds culminating in a simple interview) for another job in Japan, teaching English. It's a highlight because it went well and I will hear about it very soon!

Elimination rounds?

Also, that's great! Hopefully you'll get it!

If you don't mind me asking, what company is it through? It might not be one available for Canada, but I realized most of the former English teachers I've known taught through companies that have since gone under but otherwise had great experience with.

HL: Drama watching. Also making friends with some of the students. I find I have a bit of a harder time just because there are so many, but they're all super friendly. I'm just a bit awkward.

LL: I'm exhausted.

05.18.2015, 11:40 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Looking forward to getting to hold my latest grandaughter again tomorrow...

HL:
The swelling has gone down somewhat in my foot and the pain is WAY, WAY down... sigh, so nice... Still a ways to go, but at least I am seeing physical signs of improvment...

05.19.2015, 11:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@FFF

By "elimination rounds", I mean that after a lengthy introduction, we had to do an English test, and then demo lessons in groups later. After each of those, five people left - in the test it was the ones who hadn't scored over 70%, and after the demo lessons the recruiters mulled it over and decided who they wanted to discuss employment with.

The company is called ECC. I was researching possible backup plans in the event that I didn't get JET (I'm on the reserve list now but I doubt I'll get promoted at this point), and found that several of them have very mixed reviews from previous employees. ECC, on the other hand, had a very high satisfaction rating, and seems to have a good reputation in Japan too. That's probably because the recruitment procedure is so rigorous, whereas some of the others aren't very picky about who they choose.

05.20.2015, 03:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
@FFF

By "elimination rounds", I mean that after a lengthy introduction, we had to do an English test, and then demo lessons in groups later. After each of those, five people left - in the test it was the ones who hadn't scored over 70%, and after the demo lessons the recruiters mulled it over and decided who they wanted to discuss employment with.

The company is called ECC. I was researching possible backup plans in the event that I didn't get JET (I'm on the reserve list now but I doubt I'll get promoted at this point), and found that several of them have very mixed reviews from previous employees. ECC, on the other hand, had a very high satisfaction rating, and seems to have a good reputation in Japan too. That's probably because the recruitment procedure is so rigorous, whereas some of the others aren't very picky about who they choose.

Thanks, dude. I've looked at ECC before. I'll keep them in mind if I don't get into JET next year and I move to a bigger city.

LL: I kind of wish I had someone to talk to about debt. It drives me crazy and I think about it constantly. I tried asking my parents for advice on paying it off and what to expect payment wise, but they weren't much help and told me they weren't really sure...

Which is a downer considering it's pretty much due to them that I'm in the amount of debt that I am. None of my friends have the debt I do and/or their parents paid their education. I don't expect my parents to have paid any of mine, but it would've been nice if they'd even had a small amount saved up. Mine weighs a lot on what I can and cannot do in the future. Which sucks because it was used so I can even attempt a good future for myself.

I'm just tired of knowing I'll have to deal with these feelings for over a decade and just trying to keep my head above water. It sucks, sucks, sucks. It sucks more that the debt kept me going to school because I knew if I dropped out while in debt I'd never go back. Agh.

05.20.2015, 09:53 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HHHL: just had my Japanese speaking exam and it went so well. The examiner said so many nice things afterwards, I'm so happy. ; v ; It's been like an hour since and I've hardly stopped smiling.

My Anime List

05.21.2015, 06:37 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Congrats, Kaz...

05.21.2015, 11:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Good job! What kind of thing did you have to do for it?

05.21.2015, 01:05 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tea ceremony?

But seriously, well done!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.21.2015, 03:46 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yay Kaz!

HL: I'm in Ghana~ started working and it's great.

LL: I'm in Ghana~ giant bugs and lizards and crazy heat and having to do laundry by hand and frequent power outtages and lots of people trying to take advantage of "rich white girls" xD

05.23.2015, 07:43 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: i only have two more days of school left this year!
LL: I watched Princess Mononoke with my brother last night, and while he loved it, I... It's just not my Miyazaki film I guess. I still love Eboshi, though.

05.23.2015, 08:12 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
My foot is somewhat better and hopefully will leave the hosp in a few days...

HL/LL;
fen, you take good care of yourself, young lady

We all think of you over there... so be careful...

05.23.2015, 03:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  583  584  585  586  587  588  589  590  591  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks