QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  568  569  570  571  572  573  574  575  576  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Finally got a date for my chest surgery; it'll be in March, a week after I see Kamijo. So excited! ^.^

LL: Cold day. >.< The window in my room is ridiculously drafty, I don't know why. I keep the curtains shut the whole time just to try to reduce it.

My Anime List

01.30.2015, 06:26 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is a major turning point, isn't it, Kaz... Hoping everything works out for you...

Could the draft be coming from under the door? I have one of those draft stoppers, but at the very least a rolled up towel can help...

01.30.2015, 08:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mm, I hope it goes fine too Husky. It'll be great to finally have it done. Once it is I don't really have anything more to worry about.

And it's definitely the window, if I put my hand near I can feel the cold air flowing in. Bit of pain but nevermind. As long as it's not windy outside and I keep the heater on it's okay.

My Anime List

01.30.2015, 08:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great news Kaz. Good luck with it!

It's a curious world isn't it? I have a male friend who wants to be a woman, a pity boobs can't be swapped over, he'd die for a pair of breasts.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.31.2015, 05:22 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's great, Kaz. <3

I have a friend who is possibly gender-fluid (I say possibly but they've been thinking/wanting to undergo a transition). They were born a woman but see themselves more as a man. They feel really uncomfortable having breasts but don't have the money for binders, although I've offered to help out. Their parents fortunately are supportive, or at least their mother is.

When I was in my first year, a professor had a former student who happened to be transgender come visit my class to give a talk on being transgender and what it means and how his life has changed. My classmates mostly weren't aware of anyone who was transgender and it was something that most of them were pretty glad to learn about. My friend from Japan still talks about it because she thought it was awesome because she hadn't been fully aware or knew any transgender people or anything about different gender identities.

01.31.2015, 01:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Congrats Kaz!

One of my good friends is trans and she's getting so much grief with regards to her surgery =/ So I'm familiar with how agonizing the wait can be, which just means I'm so happy this is working out for you I hope everything goes smoothly!

01.31.2015, 04:17 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

P.s. So jealous you get to see Kamijo live. I have to wait probably two years before I can go to a concert again.. Last one was three years ago. Need live music in my life, someone move me away~.

WL: Someone please take me to see Sakanaction someday. I love them so much. Doesn't help that I find Ichiro so handsome either, looking at him just warms and breaks my heart at the same time. One of the members recently announced she was pregnant so I wonder if someone will fill in for her in the meantime or what they'll do. Their last few singles have been great.

WWL: Looking at photos of Ichiro... My boyfriend recently photographed a girl with the same thick rimmed circular glasses as him. I thought her glasses made her super handsome, now I'm laughing because they definitely have the same exact pair.

I love glasses a ridiculous much..

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.31.2015, 07:05 PM.

01.31.2015, 07:00 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL:
Went to ER for a kidney stone, everything worked out alright, but went in at 3am...

HL:
At 9am went to a Vietnam Veterans Expo with a Navy friend, Met some new people, saw some of our local politicians,

HL:
Went to the Flight Center in Soboba and talked with a bunch of paragliding friends, watched them flying, sat around a campfire...

HHL:
Went to a Japanese restaurant with my friend. He tried sashimi tuna for the first time, prefers it cooked, lol. I got some sukiyaki!!! yay! had to send the tea back to be reheated, it was served lukewarm... Only downside to the meal... but corrected...

All in all, a good day with friends...

HHHL:
End of a long , long, long day... to bed!
yay...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

02.01.2015, 08:59 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thank you all.

Ha, there are so many of us that would glady swap our bits and pieces over if we could, Saddles.

I hope things work out well for your friend, FFF. Honestly, I think it's even harder to be genderfluid or have some other non-binary identity. People still don't understand that. MtF and FtM they get, it's simple, but the non-binaries... hm, they're still not taken seriously by most people, I think. I suppose it's just a matter of time. It is being talked about more now, at least. Trans issues in general. Awareness is growing all the time, and more you educate the more you slowly erode the ignorance that leads to hatred.

Aw, I'd take you away with me to see Kamijo if I could.

The same to your friend, Fen, I'm sure things will work out in the end. Can be a long, hard road for sure but there's happiness at the end that makes it all worth it. Good luck to her.

LL: See FB status. :')

My Anime List

02.01.2015, 08:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I'll tell you something, Kaz, that is kinda surprising to me. At our Veterans Administation Medical Center, they have TV screens in most waiting areas and big screen advertising all over the place as well. I just noticed it last week and then this week that a goodly number of the big screen ads/services offered reports that were directed at the LGBT community and no one seemed to be making any comments either for or against it and lets face it, all of these men and women are service veterans and many of us are of the older persuasion, whom you would think might be more against the LGBT! To be perfectly honest, I would have thought that more of the older people would have been against it. It could also be, that many didn't understand the service offers, etc, I don't know, just that I am pleased to not see any big reaction against it all.

As you know, I am about a straight as anything, but I have the privilege of having been raised to be open-minded by my mother and her wanting me to be aware of life in general at a relatively early age.

Not to demean any other part of the world, but some parts will never be willing to change their mindsets, so I am glad that I live in a country that gives us all the ability to live as we desire...

Wishing you all the best, Kaz

02.01.2015, 09:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Having grown up in a fairly close minded environment, although thankfully raised by a not-so-close-minded family, I've met a lot of disagreeable folks on anything that deviates from the "norm". :/ Although things have been changing. My grandmother is also a super open minded person, which is great. My mom always told me not to bring up LGBT people with her, but someone must have talked about LGBT issues with my grandmother because she's aware and totally find with LGBT people.

I've been thinking of researching into LGBT issues in Japan. My friend's boyfriend is potentially transgender. Anyway, she's very interested in gender issues and also how transgender individuals are treated. I've been editing her papers and noticed a lot of them have to deal with problems transgender youth have to deal with, or youth in general who do not conform to their gender role. I think she's planning to make this her focus when she goes back to Japan in university.

Here's a really lovely music video from a Japanese band focusing on how love is love, regardless of gender or sexuality. The middle part is pretty powerful. This is actually one of my very favourite music videos.

02.01.2015, 10:08 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Mm, it's definitely too simplistic to say that it's just a generational thing. So many other factors affect how tolerant or intolerant people are.

I want to do some research on LGBT issues in Japan too, FFF, especially trans issues. If I get the opportunity which I'm sure I will at some point I'd like to do an essay or presentation on it. Well, more than one, even, if I can. I really have no idea what it's like to be FtM in Japan, or what Japanese people think about FtMs. I kind of get the idea that most mightn't even be aware of them, hardly.

HL: 95% in my Japanese exam. Highest mark, I think. Also had to give a short presentation in class today that I was really nervous about (I hate presentations) but it went really, really well. I usually freeze up and forget what I'm saying but I remembered everything and more. People seemed to find it interesting... I think I may have converted some people to Kamijo, haha (the presentation was on a famous person of our choice).

LL: Could not sleep at all last night, so I'm exhausted... Bed soon.

My Anime List

02.03.2015, 05:54 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I can ask my friends to help you with research, probably. I haven't actually talked about my friend's boyfriend with her, but she seems pretty open with my boyfriend about it (if he is, of course). I'm pretty interested in looking at LGBT issues in other countries. I do knew they use different terms. One of my favourite mangaka happens to be involved with LGBT efforts. It's interesting in Japan though, just looking at a few things. While there's still a lot of opposition, especially to same-sex couples, they do allow transgender individuals to legally change their gender. But there aren't enough anti-discrimination laws in place sadly.

02.03.2015, 06:58 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Ha, I thought I really screwed up on somethhing the other week, but I didn't. |D Man, I'm getting incedibly, incredibly excited for Kamijo.

LL: Shouldn't have chosen anime over homework last night. Over homework and sleep. :') Oh well, I'll still get it done on time.

Also, money. Ugh. I really don't want to ask my parents for any but I might need to.

My Anime List

02.10.2015, 08:22 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@ Kaz...

If you must, you must, The worst that can happen is a lecture on budgeting and a 'no'. The best is a lecture on budgeting and a 'yes'

Hope it works out for you... When my kids ask, if I have it, it gets lent... told to pay it back when they have their finances back in order.

LL:
nothing has come back yet, lol

02.10.2015, 12:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Glee

02.14.2015, 10:58 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HHL:
A major coup, in the historical sense, for me.

I found a 1939 Directory for my city, was able to scan it and post it for others to use.

HL:
And I got my Valentine Dragon Eggs within the first hour of their dropping...

02.14.2015, 12:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LL: Snowpacolypse 3.0 going on outside. I live on the second story but can't see out my windows. Haha.... ha.

On the bright side, this might make for the third university snow day tomorrow, although I sort of doubt it. I might not be able to escape my apartment though. Haven't heard the plows at all..

02.15.2015, 04:23 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I forgot to mention my HL for Tuesday (Pancacke Tuesday for those in the UK):

Pancakes, bacon and sausages with maple syrup. It was my first time trying an 'American' style meat meal with a sweet sauce.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.19.2015, 12:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That sounds so delicious, Saddles! P: Yum.

HL: Had my first ever fortune cookie today, lol. Didn't really care for its message, though...

My Anime List

02.19.2015, 06:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  568  569  570  571  572  573  574  575  576  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks