QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  565  566  567  568  569  570  571  572  573  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hopefully she is now part of your history, so time to move on and happily forget all about her. I hope you find a more normal room-mate soon *hugs*

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.03.2015, 07:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: the below post is awesome, specially the quote i attached, if all the people in the world had similar realization

http://www.project-syndicate.org/comment...aughter-2014-12

This is why i like many of the American citizens so much

quote:
Americans are no better (and no worse) than anyone else. We have no right to moralize, and we have much to learn from others. Fortunately, our founding fathers gave us the exceptional gift of a political system that pushes us continually in the direction of self-correction. The ability to correct wrongdoing can never justify doing wrong in the first place. The point of exposure is not to celebrate our ability to expose. We Americans must learn how to look at ourselves and our government the way others do. We have much to answer for. But at least we know that we have asked the right questions.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.03.2015, 12:25 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
our founding fathers gave us the exceptional gift of a political system that pushes us continually in the direction of self-correction. The ability to correct wrongdoing can never justify doing wrong in the first place.
Try telling that to recent victims of police violence and over-enthusiastic arrest procedures

Wise words hold no value if the system is inherently broken, which I believe it is in the USA.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.03.2015, 01:26 PM.

01.03.2015, 01:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: I'm pretty sick.

Also trying to help a friend figure out what to do about their situation. They failed all of their classes in the past year and don't know what to do. They have several mental illnesses that make it difficult for them to do well. They see a doctor regularly and have been prescribed different medications but none seem to be working well enough. Their roommate is my close friend and told me this too because she's been worried about them. My friend's family isn't totally understanding of their mental illnesses. My friend also has gender identity issues which I've offered to help a lot with. Their meds haven't been great this semester and they don't know what to do since they've been red listed basically.

They can't just leave their apartment and my friend in limbo like my roommate did. They don't want to do that either. They don't want to move back home with their parents either. I wish there was a way to help them out. We don't live in a city or anywhere where finding even one potential subletter would be plausible.

01.04.2015, 02:18 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@FFF
Hope you are feeling better very soon... BIG HUGS!!!

HL:
Received an invite to a Historical Symposium for March that I have been waiting for. Sent it in already, lol. And it is only about 4 miles away!!! Yay... lol

01.05.2015, 12:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
Nice and warm, got up to the low 70's Farenheit today...

LL:
Would have been a nice day for a motorcycle ride if I still had one...

01.07.2015, 10:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's freezing here. Hoping these heattech tights actually work. All my other friends say they do but maybe it's just my Canadian polar body or something but they haven't exactly done anything.. Wearing tights with thick leggings over top, a long dress, and a thick cardigan with my outerwear.

It says something about it making you warm if you sweat but that's not usually want happens in -22 weather.. haha

01.08.2015, 09:51 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hey, FFF...

I'll send Charlie over to give ya a hug, ok!!!

01.08.2015, 12:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Going to Japan

01.10.2015, 09:48 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, when, Cal? What part? Are you just visiting or are you moving there?

HL: Sometimes, when I read a Murakami novel the male protagonist for some reason always chooses to go for a vacation in Hokkaido. "Where should I go? Hokkaido. Why should I go there? Whatever, I'm going."

Pretty much my inspiration for going there myself. lmao I only know one other person who is from there. Most of my Japanese friends are from the Kansai region, Kyoto, or around Tokyo (Yokohama and Kanagawa mostly). What's coolest for me is how most of my exchange friends can keep their job even after they go away for a year or half a year and just start back up as soon as they're back. That would almost never happen in Canada. haha Although I'm really looking forward to someday going to Takarazuka, or Chiba, or Kanagawa. I always seem to like picking places where my friends won't be there. There's also a lot of remote but lovely places in Japan I hope I can travel to.

Luckily I know enough people plus any of their friends and family who can help me out with basic things (like doctor's appointments for women's clinics, buying tickets, etc.). Yet I'll probably be going to Korea or somewhere really random before going. Because, you know, I'm random and I want to take some chances. Really excited because I can start applying for teaching jobs this year.

Oh my god, I can apply for teaching jobs this year. That seems so weird but at the same time gets me excited. I might not be applying until next year for reasons, but by the summer I'll know what time I'll be applying for. It's getting weirder and weirder when friends say "Come see me next year! I'll be waiting for you!". It makes me realize the dream I've been holding onto is no longer so distant but right before me. Now is just the time to act.

LL: Sadly, a family member of mine may be passing soon. I'm not sure how to feel. I'm sure the pain and sadness will hit me later on. It's okay if I don't come home for the funeral, but it makes me feel bad. I can't really afford to skip my classes right now even if my profs are totally chill with it. I'll feel bad if I don't go home but I've been told my everyone it will be alright if I don't because of my studies. Still, even if I don't go home, there's no instant remedy for making everything alright.

01.10.2015, 06:13 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

FFF:
calforsale was studying in Korea before...

As for missing family funerals... Real Life happens and I've missed almost all of my families funerals, mostly because of distance and expense and comittments at work, etc. Your family understands about the comittment of school and is OK with that. If unable to attend, grieve in your own heart and let the others know how much you will miss this person. About the only funeral I've been ab;e to attend was to mis sisters father, but more to support my sis (14 at the time). She hated him for his drunkeness, but almost collapsed at the service. I caught her as she was going down. I was living locally at the time. For my mother, the same reason, I was living locally and got bereavement leave from work. Now that I am retired, I also have more freedom of time. Attended a Ship Captains service with my old Navy friend (it was his skipper).

Point I am trying to make, I guess, is that people mostly understand when RL interferes with plans of any kind.

If you can't reasonably go, then don't force it...

Good luck, and Hugs... (Maybe I'll send Charlie back over to see ya, she's friendly. lol)

See pic above...

01.10.2015, 07:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh,I forgot Cal was studying in Korea.

And thanks, husky. I just feel torn because I'm scared in a way. I don't want to go home more than anything because I don't want to be surrounded by the sadness. I've been to a number of funerals but this one will probably tear me a part. She's one of my dearest relatives and someone I was very close to before her illness made it so she couldn't even talk or remember who I was.

I feel pretty heartbroken. I've faced a number of difficulties since coming to university which make it difficult to focus the whole term. Now I'm afraid of falling into that same sadness I was in once again. Maybe that's selfish of me to not want to feel that way again since anything that happens is inevitable, but I'm honestly scared of feeling that way. I have a stronger support network than before but no one knows quite how to comfort me at these times.

WL: So my friends and I went out to eat today. They were talking about money and how much their parents spend on their education. This topic sort of irks my boyfriend and I because we both don't come from money. He was lucky to get a full ride and I'm just fortunate there's a type of loan large enough to cover all the costs. We have a hard time relating to other students whose parents pay their tuition costs and/or give them monthly allowances. We never ask our parents for money to expect them to give us any, and when we do receive some we usually feel pretty guilty.

Like my friend brought up how she couldn't believe her parents were paying for her and two other siblings education costs and living arrangements/food and how it makes it hard on her family financially. Now, depending on her circumstances this would seem alright to me. Education and everything is expensive. But her parents make a decent amount. I just feel kind of distant on the money issue because I don't know what it's like to at least have that much offered. lol I have a friend who was only able to attend school because her brother had a full scholarship. My other friend comes from wealthy parents and is married but came here because her direction in education wasn't offered in her home country and she wants to leave there or make changes in her country by continuing her education. I have friends whose siblings pay their tuition fees and whatnot and help their siblings out because they want/need the education. Students having money is common at my school.

But for those of us without any or from different circumstances and try to find work or anything to help us out we kind of feel... I dunno, it doesn't sit well with us sometimes. lol It feels weird.

01.10.2015, 10:19 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I knew pretty much from the git-go that I probably wouldn't be able to afford to send my kids to college. My daughter was paying her own way the an avionics trade school when she dropped out to get married. My oldest son went to college after his tour with the Navy, which paid his way thru college. (which was how I went to college for two years and got my degree. If I had been smarter (no pun intended) I would have known about the GI Bill benefits earlier and been able to use all ten years of my educational benefits. My youngest son never went into the service and probably won't ever go to college.

01.10.2015, 11:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I knew pretty much from the git-go that I probably wouldn't be able to afford to send my kids to college. My daughter was paying her own way the an avionics trade school when she dropped out to get married. My oldest son went to college after his tour with the Navy, which paid his way thru college. (which was how I went to college for two years and got my degree. If I had been smarter (no pun intended) I would have known about the GI Bill benefits earlier and been able to use all ten years of my educational benefits. My youngest son never went into the service and probably won't ever go to college.

i think we did this conversation about how expensive university is almost everywhere.

it kind of makes me happy[for myself as luckily i got into a govt one] and sad for my brother[who could no get a place in the placement exam, so need to go to a private one].

I think its pretty unfair. I know it can be debated that if we need university education to do a lot of jobs. But i think people who wants to learn should be given a chance without worrying about the large debt or increasing family financial pressure.

I saw a indian film about this named FALTU [pretty crap film] but the idea is quite interesting.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

01.11.2015, 03:43 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Over here we have local community colleges where tuition is considerably lower than at major universities. When I went in the mid-70's, I think I was paying about $15-25 dollars a class plus books, say another $50-75. Now, it is quite a bit higher, but still within reason IMO, Talking about $100 per class and books and materials are higher. Going to a university can run into the thousands of dollars. I graduated with an Associate of Science Degree in Administration of Justice with Emphasis on Law Enforcement. At the time, I was planning on a career in police work, primarily in Border Patrol, but circumstances (family finances) prevented me from taking the time to go to an academy.

I had a wife and newborn child and couldn't afford to go without a paycheck for the time until I got my first paycheck at the academy plus leaving my family virtually on their own for the four months I would have been in academy in another state. So, I eventually became a mechanic and worked a variety of jobs over the years, working security to supplement my income.

A little anecdote: While I was mechanicing at a school bus company, the office called me to the phone and said I had a call from Washington, D.C. I had already declined my academy appointment to the Border Patrol about a year earlier and they had another opening and were offering it to me if I was still interested. Regretfully, I had to decline it once again. Later, the office people were wondering why I would be receiving a call from D.C. so I told them a cockamamie story about being friends with the President of the USA, etc. They didn't believe me, but were never really sure. I kept up the story for years...

01.11.2015, 12:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Over here we have local community colleges where tuition is considerably lower than at major universities. When I went in the mid-70's, I think I was paying about $15-25 dollars a class plus books, say another $50-75. Now, it is quite a bit higher, but still within reason IMO, Talking about $100 per class and books and materials are higher. Going to a university can run into the thousands of dollars. I graduated with an Associate of Science Degree in Administration of Justice with Emphasis on Law Enforcement. At the time, I was planning on a career in police work, primarily in Border Patrol, but circumstances (family finances) prevented me from taking the time to go to an academy.

I had a wife and newborn child and couldn't afford to go without a paycheck for the time until I got my first paycheck at the academy plus leaving my family virtually on their own for the four months I would have been in academy in another state. So, I eventually became a mechanic and worked a variety of jobs over the years, working security to supplement my income.

A little anecdote: While I was mechanicing at a school bus company, the office called me to the phone and said I had a call from Washington, D.C. I had already declined my academy appointment to the Border Patrol about a year earlier and they had another opening and were offering it to me if I was still interested. Regretfully, I had to decline it once again. Later, the office people were wondering why I would be receiving a call from D.C. so I told them a cockamamie story about being friends with the President of the USA, etc. They didn't believe me, but were never really sure. I kept up the story for years...

that story is .... funny. but i am sorry to hear that about your job, thats life i guess. i think i have my fair share waiting in the turns of time.

we too have something like community here college which is free[almost] but very poor education quality.[practically you need to teach yourself]

01.11.2015, 01:33 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Happy Birthday, saviour...

01.12.2015, 02:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:

lol, man i dont have birthday today.

HL: learned a new word intellectual crush. its a fine phrase to get away with.......

01.12.2015, 04:09 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

lol, man i dont have birthday today.

HL: learned a new word intellectual crush. its a fine phrase to get away with.......

Man, I'm intellectually crushed!!! you mean fb is WRONG!!! how can that be?

lol

enjoy the day anyway, like it was a birthday...

01.12.2015, 11:40 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LL: My aunt passed away in the night.

I've been really down. I keep sleeping. I think I might email my professors or drop in and tell them about this because it might interrupt my work getting done. Or maybe see the school counselor for grief. It's starting to hit me more now than it was earlier.

WL: My friend's grandpa died today as well.

It's also Murakami's birthday or was in Japan. Weirdly enough, he graduated from the same university one of my close friends attends. Our school offers exchanges there too. o.O

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.12.2015, 07:10 PM.

01.12.2015, 02:13 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  565  566  567  568  569  570  571  572  573  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks