QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  567  568  569  570  571  572  573  574  575  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are a lot of scholarships out there though if he can get them. For really expensive educational establishments, you really need a scholarship unless you're super rich, so it isn't uncommon.

01.24.2015, 06:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
There are a lot of scholarships out there though if he can get them. For really expensive educational establishments, you really need a scholarship unless you're super rich, so it isn't uncommon.

He currently has one which is probably 80k Canadian (he's never told me how much, but I know the cost of international tuition and they pay him a monthly strip end to cover his rent, food, and books). It might be more than that because I don't think there's a fixed amount besides the strip end. He's hoping to get an extension and retake some courses to raise his GPA up higher. He's been very involved in multiple projects in the community and has an impressive resume but he wants to gain some work experience first and work on other areas before applying so he has a better chance.

I'm fully supportive if he wants to, like heck yeah you go and do your thing. It's just we'll be in mountains of debt with my debt and that, plus I still have certificate programs I have to take if I ever want a decent job back in Canada. I'm more flexible in what I want to do though and we are looking to erasing my debt as quickly as possible so that I can do what I really want to do and he can work on his bigger goals. But a master's for him will do him wonders in what he plans on doing. Besides, the programs at that specific Harvard campus really do suit him.

He probably has a pretty good chance at getting a scholarship. Even if it covered a third or a half, it'd be good. I told him when he wants to talk about it we can look into it more. My debt is pretty overwhelming though, since I didn't qualify for as many scholarships because of the school I chose and where I came from. :/ That's another story..

But you know how privileged the students are that attend that campus are when in the budget suggestions for students it says "You might have to cut back on eating out and cook at home, and get a roommate instead of living on your own". I started laughing because I thought that was hilarious.

HL: Hoping I did OK on my test for English. >.< I always blank out because it seems so easy but then I see my results.. I hate when my classmates say how easy something was or wonder why they didn't get an A on something. I'm not sure why I do so poorly.. I practically start crying as soon as I see something in the B range (a B at my school is only like a 75%...). Because, you know, I don't experience that often being in English.

The test was really easy though.. It was just passages from the texts and my prof made two of them super obvious. I blanked on the title of one text but could remember the names of the places in it and put those down. I hate when things seem so easy and then I get my mark back.. It's starting to drive me crazy.

My friends do help me out, since most of them do really well in university. They don't understand why I do so poorly.

01.24.2015, 12:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Eating bad food on Thursday which gave me about the most severe attack of diarrhoea I've ever had all of Friday and most of today. Just starting to feel human again now.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.24.2015, 04:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Saddles:
Make sure you replace the fluids... My best cure for that is a can of Campbell's Chicken and rice soup!!!

01.24.2015, 11:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Food poisoning is diabolical.

LL: Darn hospital not calling me back about dates for this and that... I'll have to contact them in the morning.

HL: Ah, it's just been a nice, relaxed weekend.

My Anime List

01.26.2015, 02:20 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Forgot if I said this, but someone messed up my student loan. Since it was my first time applying for a government one I wasn't sure the exact procedure. Turns out there was a package they supposedly sent me back in November but it was returned for some reason. I never received any notice about this and I'd been checking my mail before leaving town so I'm not sure what happened.

Anyway, I'm upset that no one let me know until now when this happened over two months ago. I have no money for extra courses if I need them. I've been stressed about things and this definitely didn't help. I'm pretty sure I gave them the right address and my postal code isn't hard to find. :/ For some reason they mess up packages here and my mail might end up in someone else's, which could be what happened. Still, it would have been nice to at least know because those were important documents.. I should have put down my home address instead of my apartment because there's very little chance of losing it then and I could have completed it easier.

I've been really anxious lately and not sure what to do..

01.26.2015, 03:29 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, dealing with the govt sucks. Best thing to do is to give whichever department it is a call and ask them if you can have that parcel, even if you have to go down personally (assuming the parcel is still relevant).

@Saddle: I'm sick too. Just the sniffles, which happens like, oh I dunno, every other month or so :\

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.27.2015, 06:55 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It is or I won't get my loan. :/ Waiting for them to send it to me. I'm just confused why they never let me know it was returned so they could have sent it out again sooner. It doesn't usually take long for packages to come, but I haven't received anything lately so I'm wondering what's up. :s

I have three addresses I can have it sent to, so if it for some reason doesn't reach my mail box again I'll just have it sent to my school mail box. :s

My mother's had a similar problem with the government regarding her pension. They really screwed up on her end though, and don't seem to care too much to resolve the problem faster. She might not get anything until May.

HL: Whoa, snow day.

I'm in university so this is a rare occurrence.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.27.2015, 08:37 AM.

01.27.2015, 08:36 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Hey guess what? My boss phoned me up this afternoon while I was off sick and sacked me. Isn't that just peachy?

I'd have been back in work on Monday but they'd have had to pay me 2 more days then. Pretty sharp these small business owners.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.28.2015, 01:44 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Can you put in a complaint against them for that possibly? I know someone else who was recently let go from her job without any warning and they hired someone else right away. It's a good idea to try I guess.

I haven't really heard of it used too much here but I know my mother had to take disability leave and the principal at her school tried to talk her out of leaving so that they could hire a younger teacher. Made her feel awful. Partly why she had to retire early because she kept being handed the shitty end of the stick. Good luck though in finding new work. That really sucks.

01.28.2015, 02:39 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm so sorry to hear that Saddles I hope it somehow works out to be in your favour. Best of luck! *hugs*

LL: I joined a project feeling very excited... and now I'm at the point where I have very little hope for it and it's quite frustrating. Hoping the next meeting will change that...

01.28.2015, 02:47 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thank you Fen and F, the support of friends is always so good to get.

I've been there less than a year and there's not much protection for the employee under British laws for such short-term workers. However the reasons they gave were really weak and quite frankly just not true and my suspicion is that because I injured my back there last week, they're in a panic and don't want to be sued.

That isn't gonna help them if, when I see my doctor on Friday, he agrees my back is injured. The Health and Safety working practices in that place are a joke, they deserve to be sued.

I'm in the mood for a fight over this so if I have a case the company will know about it.

There's other things like no-one in our area ever got their December wageslips, and I've chased for mine several times. I have no idea if the overtime I put in for during December was paid.

I was also never sent a proper contract.

The workload I had meant that I never had time for a lunchbreak, so I drove deliveries for about 7 hours straight every day, sometimes 8 and ate my sandwiches while driving. By law in Britain a driver must have 15 minutes break per 4 hours driven.

The company's fantastically busy and orders are growing all the time; they just won't employ enough people to spread the load more realistically; they'd rather rake in the money and push everyone to their limits. I'm fairly certain someone else is being employed in my place but that's not the point.

We'll see what my doc says and also what my solicitor says.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.28.2015, 02:49 PM.

01.28.2015, 02:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Damn, my job at the factory was pretty shitty but they were 100% concerned about job related injuries and give time off to people who need it (my dad had a paid week off after my aunt passed and they try their best to give time off for longer periods although not always paid). That really sucks that you guys don't have as many protection laws as we do from the sounds of it. Do fight them though. Others deserve to know what goes down in that company when applying.

01.28.2015, 02:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight: finally got invited for a JET programme interview. Looks like I'll have to get good at Japanese by next Friday!

Lowlight: I'm pretty sure I'm developing a cold...

01.28.2015, 03:17 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to hear about your job loss, Saddles, Hoping good luck comes your way soon in the form of an even better job.

Hope it works your way in the lawsuit department as well.

I know what that kind of job was like.

I worked in an auto parts warehouse down in San Diego and handled 44 product lines including Maremount exhaust and two different tool mfrs. Every three weks I got another 1300-1500 exhaust pipe items and would just about get them all on the racks when another shipment would come in. Plus I had to handle all the receiving and warranty returns and if someone needed something heavy moved or picked up off the top shelf, I was the only one cleared to operate the lift.

Then they found out that I had a commercial license. While everyone went to lunch, I loaded up our delivery truck and spent up to three hours delivering parts all around the San Diego area. While I was on the road, the other guys would fill orders from my area and totally mess up the order that it had taken me 6 months to straighten out. I got my lunch when I got back, shortly before time to go home...

Why did I get fired?

Three times in my year or so with the company, I was late for work... Never more that two minutes each time. Mainly due to traffic.

To be honest, the job was so stressful that I would get home, pour myself a glass of wine or open an beer, roll one up (if you get my drift) and sit, smoke and drink for about 20 minutes before I felt relaxed.

I'm glad that that job ended.

My next job? I started driving school bus again... paid more and much more relaxing... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.28.2015, 03:32 PM.

01.28.2015, 03:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Highlight: finally got invited for a JET programme interview. Looks like I'll have to get good at Japanese by next Friday!

Good luck!!! You have to do your interview partly in Japanese? I know my friend and her best friend both went but only my friend had to do hers in Japanese since her best friend didn't know the language. Well, I guess that's the point. They both got jobs but the best friend had to defer it for reasons. Let me know how it goes since I'm applying for next year. I also might know some Canadian applicants who will start this year!

I have to save up money to travel and for a hotel for when I do the interviews, if I get to. @_@ I'm just hoping if I apply for more than one program if I get interviews they're around the same time because I don't have the money for two plane tickets if needed (the JET interviews are held in the next biggest city, so it's not that bad, but the other ones might only be in the big big cities which'll cost me a ton).

EDIT: My friend is teaching in a city near/in Osaka and although her city is pretty sketchy her job sounds like it's going really well. She works with elementary to high school kids.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.28.2015, 04:06 PM.

01.28.2015, 04:02 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

So the way it works with UK JET is that ALT interviews are in English, because that doesn't require Japanese, though they'd probably ask you about it if you say you do know some. On the other hand, for CIR, which is what I'm applying for, the whole interview is in Japanese. I know the American one is different, and it's probably different in Canada too.

Also, ALT interviews can be in either London (the embassy) or Edinburgh (the consulate), but because there are far fewer positions, CIR interviews are all held in London. So that means I have to take a plane to get to mine.

01.28.2015, 04:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:

Buenos Suerte, mi amigo, on your interview, arren... wait a minute, wrong language...

COLD!, get thee hence! There, that should take care of that... lol Hope you're feeling better soon...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.28.2015, 04:37 PM.

01.28.2015, 04:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
So the way it works with UK JET is that ALT interviews are in English, because that doesn't require Japanese, though they'd probably ask you about it if you say you do know some. On the other hand, for CIR, which is what I'm applying for, the whole interview is in Japanese. I know the American one is different, and it's probably different in Canada too.

Also, ALT interviews can be in either London (the embassy) or Edinburgh (the consulate), but because there are far fewer positions, CIR interviews are all held in London. So that means I have to take a plane to get to mine.

I keep forgetting you applied for the CIR position. I remember you mentioned that before, I think. How much does a plane to London cost you? Mine would be held near Halifax (consulate). Although I think there are locations in Montreal (where the ALTs meet up before flying to Japan or something) and the embassy is in Ottawa I think.. Anyway, flying that way would cost me over 400$ a trip for the ticket alone. Hopefully I can get all mine at the nearest city, but it'll still cost me 70-80$ to get there by train or bus unless I know someone else going.

What level of Japanese do you have to be at to apply for CIR? My boyfriend can apply for that since they accept applicants from his country, but there's no formal website up that he can ask about it.

01.28.2015, 07:09 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Because there are several low-cost airlines about, and also I think because I've been pretty lucky with timing, I can get flights for about £20 (like 30USD) one-way. It's much cheaper than if I were to get the train.

The level they ask for is JLPT N2. You don't need the certificate to apply, but I think it will help the application if they know you've managed to pass it. I know of at least one person who actually got the job with a lower level than N2, but in that case there must've been something else very impressive about his application.

01.28.2015, 07:20 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  567  568  569  570  571  572  573  574  575  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks