QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  566  567  568  569  570  571  572  573  574  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL:
A bunch of spam e-mails coming in the last few days, primarily from Germany, judging by the sender's addy...

01.13.2015, 04:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Feels weird to finally be back here. Now I know why so many of us leave for long periods; RL can be so blah.

Regardless, I will quite possibly be starting to do my job solo next week onwards since I just got my uniform, which was part of the reason I'm not allowed to attend to customers' calls alone. So yeah, finally time to see how "handy" I am as a technician.

LL: Safety boots are more like safety flip-flops. Lack of laces, or any form of securement, makes it extremely difficult for me to walk properly (I'm not a fan of elastics, as you can tell). Maybe I'll go to the cobbler and see if he can punch a few holes to thread a lace through.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.15.2015, 08:01 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Feels weird to finally be back here. Now I know why so many of us leave for long periods; RL can be so blah.

LL: Safety boots are more like safety flip-flops. Lack of laces, or any form of securement, makes it extremely difficult for me to walk properly (I'm not a fan of elastics, as you can tell). Maybe I'll go to the cobbler and see if he can punch a few holes to thread a lace through.

Two things come to mind...

One... Before you go tampering with the "Safety Boots", make sure that your 'proposed alteration' is approved by your company, or at least check with your co-workers...

Two... Maybe the ones you have are the wrong size...

01.15.2015, 12:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think punching holes on the tongue would violate anu safety laws though, especially when they're cheap metal-toe-only shoes.

And it's not the size. The size is just right, but because it's the slip-in type, there's no Velcro or laces, just elastic rubber to keep my foot in the shoe. Now most people are actually fine with this but I can't stand the shoe popping free from my heel with every step made worse due to its own weight. So like I said, it feels like flip-flops, and I like my shoes very secure.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.16.2015, 05:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

I wasn't actually referring the 'punching holes in the tongue' aspect, but you mentioned earlier in your post about the "safety shoes" not having laces, but now you were speculating about ADDING laces, which would seem to detract from the 'safety' aspect. THAT is what I was suggesting to ask co-workers, etc about first...

01.16.2015, 12:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Wait, why is adding laces to the shoes a bad thing? Aren't there safety shoes with laces already?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.16.2015, 08:00 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

From whatr you were originally saying, it seemed as though they were lace-less for safety reasons... therefore Iwas wondering if it was a safety issue to ADD laces...

From what you have been saying lately, apparently not...

01.16.2015, 11:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.17.15
  Grrrrrr...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ummm... getting home to my laptop from a week away at a nice holiday house near the sea...Not much.... IM SO JEALOUS OF everyone IN JAPAN RIGHT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

01.17.2015, 03:57 AM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
I have been trying for well over a year now to find the name of a hotel in my city that is plainly visible in a number of photographs, but no body knew anything about or even remembered it is some cases. I finally solved the mystery, or rather, an 86yo lady has solved it! Many of the members in our historical circle have worked many hours trying to find this out...

YAY!

01.17.2015, 12:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha wow, sounds like Tokyo Godfathers but less depressing xD I'm glad you solved the mystery. Can you share a pic where it's visible? Would be interested to see.

01.17.2015, 02:13 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Feeling a bit better. I'm not sure if the fact has passed yet. I've been weirdly lethargic and less than motivated this past week. Hopefully I can start focusing again and deal with the crap ton of schoolwork thrown my way.

The next year and a half is gonna be painful.

01.18.2015, 05:56 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.17.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Eating syrupy crumpets and washing it down with freezing cold milk, refreshing!
That was my not so amazing highlight of my day

01.18.2015, 07:49 PM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

WL: Stumbled across textbooks on Japanese feminism, which is pretty cool. A few Japanese students at my school are feminists or interested in feminism and women's rights. One friend is hoping to do a major or something related to women's studies when she heads back to Japan so she's been taking courses here in preparation. I was actually trying to see if there were any websites or resources specific but there doesn't seem to be any? I did find some interesting books written by women writers in Japan. If I have the money, I'll probably check these books out. Some are collections of writing by women.

If I knew if my prof was staying next year, I'd probably ask her to do an independent study with me on this subject or something similar. I've found narratives in manga that could be feminist or link to it. I just thought it'd be cool to find some more books that may be related.

01.18.2015, 11:18 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

They don't have any of those books in your school library? Try your local public library...

HL:
@ fen, I'll post a couple of pictures either tonight or tomorrow...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.19.2015, 05:05 AM.

01.19.2015, 05:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

LL: Not a fun day at work. Made a simple paper jam worse by cracking the frame (it's a common problem, but still), feet got blisters because yeah I hate these shoes, big hoo-hah with the parts ordering system, and a copier couldn't detect my usb to do a firmware upgrade which means I need to go back to the same customer again.

I need corn ice cream. With biscuit sticks. And chocolate powder. On bread.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.19.2015, 09:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

poof!

The way your day is going, you got biscuit ice cream with corn sticks and bread powder on a chocolate strawberry

01.19.2015, 01:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
They don't have any of those books in your school library? Try your local public library...

My school library barely has any of the novels I need for my courses let alone books on feminism. There is a row or two focusing on women's issues but some of the books are more dated now or not relevant to other areas. My prof is a student herself but doing her doctorate online, and she doesn't like how few books we have here. We can order them in online though from most university libraries on a loan so I might look into that.

Our public libraries here aren't much better... They're also smaller. The city library might have some more resources but I don't get to go there often. I wish I lived in the next province because you can take books out of anywhere and drop them off at whichever library and they'll get resorted.

Problems with living in a rural place with economic problems and small universities.

01.19.2015, 02:26 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I got my first essay result since coming to university, and I got a first for it! So chuffed. Especially considering I wrote it on the day it was due, ha... It was on China in the 19th century and the fall of the Qing dynasty.

My Anime List

01.22.2015, 02:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I'd like to have seen it, Kaz...

01.22.2015, 04:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That's awesome, Kaz! I wish that will someday happen for me but probably not. lol

HL: My boyfriend is thinking of applying to a Harvard school. o.o

.... Well, maybe until he realizes it'll cost him 50k in tuition and fees alone. His friend attended this specific Harvard campus and was telling him about it because he asked him about master's degrees.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.22.2015, 08:45 PM.

01.22.2015, 08:41 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  566  567  568  569  570  571  572  573  574  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks