QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  552  553  554  555  556  557  558  559  560  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Shizuku won.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.10.2014, 10:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HHL:
Last night at bingo there were about 250 ppl for the games. I was surprised when they called out my name for Birthday announcements as I hadn't told any one at my table about it. I was chewed out by our resident cupcake maker (he is good) for not letting him know beforehand... A few people came over and gave me little impromptu gifts of snacks wrapped up in napkins, etc which was nice...

After the games were over, I again was congratulated by a few of the people during the clean-up, leaving stage, etc and I was almost to the door when I heard about 15 or so people singing the Happy Birthday song... I had never heard it done before at this venue...

I turned around and took off my hat and when done, thanked them all for the honor... Made me feel special, y'know...

PS
I dodn't win any of the games...sigh

lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.10.2014, 10:14 AM.

09.10.2014, 10:12 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
HL: Shizuku won.

Shizuku +1
Chihiro -2

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.10.2014, 11:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
HHL:
Last night at bingo there were about 250 ppl for the games. I was surprised when they called out my name for Birthday announcements as I hadn't told any one at my table about it. I was chewed out by our resident cupcake maker (he is good) for not letting him know beforehand... A few people came over and gave me little impromptu gifts of snacks wrapped up in napkins, etc which was nice...

After the games were over, I again was congratulated by a few of the people during the clean-up, leaving stage, etc and I was almost to the door when I heard about 15 or so people singing the Happy Birthday song... I had never heard it done before at this venue...

I turned around and took off my hat and when done, thanked them all for the honor... Made me feel special, y'know...

PS
I dodn't win any of the games...sigh

lol

That sounds really cool husky. no wonder that you felt special. there is hardly any person who would not feel that way , and considering the polite person you are, there is no wonder they greeted you that way as you are a regular customer[considering that each time you mentioned bingo you went to the same place] there.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

09.10.2014, 02:28 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy belated birthday, Husky!!! *hugs*

09.10.2014, 04:55 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you very much, fen...

@saviour... We meet in the activity room/stage/hall in a gated community, but by state law, when there is a bingo game played for profit (by the operators) then it must be open to the public. I am not a resident of the community, but I am now friends with a few pwople there. I have been going for about 2-1/2 years now and have cut back to only every other week and sometimes less than that. I'm known because of my noise makers...

For example... When the number I22 is called, some people have little plastic or plush ducks and quack them. Me? I went and bought a duck call that is heard for quite a ways around me. When N44 is called, people call out "Dolly's dollies", in reference to Dolly Parton. The first time that number is called I say something like "Hello, Dolly" or Dolly is in the House", just to be a little different. With O75, because most of the people are retired folks, any one 75 and older knock a few times on their tables... (I can't do that one, sigh, I'm not old enough yet.... lol). There are other active numbers as well.

Anyway, when I come back after being gone for a week, people comment to be on how quiet it was while I was gone. Now understand this, I did not start the noise making, this had been going on long before I started there, just that I took it to a different level... Some players hate it, but most get a chuckle out of it. The one downside of it for me is that when I make the noises, etc, I get behind on my cards and have to hurry to catch up...

I have met a lot of new friends while there and even have strangers come up and say 'hi' to me. Of course, some of the women smack me on the shoulder as they go by sometimes, but good-naturedly, because of my teasing. And I tease their husbands, too, if they are married... And with the ones who don't like my noisemaking, it is a kind of "love-hate" thing, lol...

The other bingo hall I go to, we usually only get about 30-40 ppl, because the winning pots are so low, but that is because it is for charitable purposes. I volunteer to call the games sometimes and had to be licensed by the city... I do the noisemaking there as well, but some of the numbers are different.

Yes, it is fun to play and even funner (?) to win, but it is like I tell people, I play mainly for the fun of it. Meeting others and getting out of the house... I'm recognized on the street and in stores and restaurants more often, too.

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.10.2014, 08:29 PM.

09.10.2014, 08:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight of yesterday: moved into a new place with friends. The flat is a little odd, but we're happy with it.

Lowlight: I have a lot of work to do for the first week of classes, and we won't have internet until Friday...

09.13.2014, 10:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I have to say, that is one thing I have never had, except for a week at the Highway Patrol academy in Sacramento, is a roommate. I shared a room for a week with another hazardous material trainee.

Every apartment or house I have ever lived in, I have always been by myself (with the exception of family, lol) I don't like having to conform to another's schedule or sharing of the frig, etc... I think that it is one of the reasons that I resist moving in with my oldest son is having to conform to their family schedule...

HL:
In the high school annual history project that I have been doing for a few months now, I am getting to meet some people who lived in my area decades ago and getting some personal history from them... I've actually held in my hands the annual from 1904/5 which, surprisingly, was published in four quarterly sections rather than one yearly edition.

09.13.2014, 01:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Your roommate was hazardous!?

09.13.2014, 01:36 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

sigh... NO!

lol

about 10 of us were attending a Hazardous Materials Handling class at the California Highway Patrol Academy in Sacramento, California. We were put up in two bed rooms.

I forgot about when I first joined, we were training up in Saugus, Calif and I had to share a room with George Smith for a week... He would go to bed around 8 or 8:30 at night and I'd end up on the walkway outside reading a book until 10 or 11pm. One night, Dayna, one of the other trainees came out wearing a babydoll nightie and asked if I had any aspirin. I got some for her and we chatted a bit... Worked with her for 5 yrs before I was promoted... I still know her sister well and I don't think she ever married... Dayna, that is.

09.13.2014, 03:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My apartment building was built in the 1940s. lol

LL: People my age are buying their first houses, and I'm wondering how to even afford to feed myself and keep my apartment (which I'm almost barely in, because of studying/hiding from my roommate).

Or how to afford a down payment for my next apartment..

I wish I'd gone to school in or near a city somewhere. There's few employment opportunities here so it's starting to depress me since I have no funds to sustain me through the year or after I graduate.. Or even enough for my textbooks.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 09.14.2014, 04:36 PM.

09.14.2014, 04:35 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to hear about that. I heard textbooks are uber expensive. Aren't there any schools in your area with a trainee opening?

LL: Really tired and sleepy today. Woke up a lot earlier than I should this morning, probably because I ran a little later than usual last night.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.15.2014, 11:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:

Got to go to our local High School and went to the library and spoke with the librarian about historical topics. I was able to access some more modern annuals and found a lot of names of young people that I knew and interacted with over the years. Friends of my children, gorls that were on my softball teams during the 4 yrs I coached, etc. It was amazing seeing them back when there were young, lol. One girls joined the Army for a number of years, a few of the guys ended up in jail, two for murder. It was just amazing the memories that came to minds when I saw the pictures and names. I will be back, for sure...

09.15.2014, 08:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Sorry to hear about that. I heard textbooks are uber expensive. Aren't there any schools in your area with a trainee opening?

What is a trainee opening? D: I can do job shadowing, but I don't know any of the high school teachers, plus it would be unpaid.

Yeah, I had to buy a new textbook for 60$ today, which is reasonable but it's a feminist research textbook. Gender studies textbooks are constantly printed since new information is added regularly (unlike science textbooks, where you can get away with older editions most of the time). My English courses are pretty standard and it's always easier to find the books used. My boyfriend's close friend runs the local used bookstore. She's even lending me her own personal book for one of my courses since she sold the copy she had. I try to find people in the same classes as me and see if they want to share since books are so expensive, but I don't know many people in my field. Most of my friends are in the science department or social sciences.

HL: I like my field, but I generally feel disconnected from my classmates. Yet I'm fairly happy. I like studying Canadian literature since that's something I hope to one day be a part of myself. It's too bad we don't have a creative writing degree at my school. I'd be much happier with that.

09.15.2014, 09:10 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hahaha, reminds me of my required English course when I was in College. I took a Creative Writing course and got an "A" in it. I think that part of it was just the subject of my different stories... One described how to hunt and capture snakes, including rattlesnakes, another was how I learned to ride horseback or shooting a gun including a machine gun. Just the variety was responsible for the grade, I believe...

This after failing English in high school...

09.16.2014, 01:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Job interview tomorrow.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.16.2014, 07:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Very good luck, Saddles...

09.16.2014, 11:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Laptop broken

09.16.2014, 04:04 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Sorry to hear that, NC... Hope you can get the prob solved quickly...

09.16.2014, 07:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: I have a job, starting Tuesday.

CL: (Cautious Light) Let's hope it goes better than the last one.

09.17.2014, 10:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  552  553  554  555  556  557  558  559  560  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks