QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  608  609  610  611  612  613  614  615  616  ...    »  ]
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hl: Added Totoro to my Blu-ray collection FINALLY, and I got my sister to finally watch Steins;Gate, which she actually rather enjoyed. For those not in the know, my family despises anime kind of, so any success I have in showing it to them is extremely rare, with my sister/Steins;Gate and my stepdad/Haruhi Suzumiya being the only victories. Family milestone!

01.02.2016, 01:48 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Flare's stepdad liking Haruhi!

(everyone likes Haruhi)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.02.2016, 07:11 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Liking Haruhi is probably a good stepping stone to other anime, I think. It gives you some idea of what to expect.

01.02.2016, 07:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's so neat when you get family into anime. My dad loves watching anime films with me (mostly Ghibli, of course), and the occasional series. We also watch loads of documentaries about Japan together. Mum doesn't seem to have any interest. It's a shame because if only she would watch the films and things I'm sure she'd like them as much as we do, but there you go...

LL: I have a beastly cold, a great deal of work to do before 4PM on Monday, and I have to go back to university tomorrow. Not that I don't like university, it's just that this holiday has been so short...

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 01.02.2016, 07:40 PM.

01.02.2016, 07:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I bought my first lipstick.

LL:Why did I spend $40 on a lipstick??

01.02.2016, 10:09 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, I've worn lipstick twice in my life, compliments of Mommy.

Once at age of 12 for halloween, dressed as a gypsy woman. Best night ever in candy collection with my little sister age 3.
Second time while at the beach, grunion hunting late at night and a chill wind. I resisted but Mom applied the lipstick as a lip moisturizer... btw, no grunion showed up.

01.02.2016, 10:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, Husky.

Yes, Saddles, everyone SHOULD and DOES like Haruhi. He actually really likes it and talks about specific episodes. He even really enjoyed Endless Eight! Amazing...

Hl: Saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens and it was really good! But what did expect, I love almost anything J.J. Abrams directs.

01.02.2016, 11:08 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Ordered takeout and watched Miraculous Ladybug with my boyfriend!!!!!! I ate WAY too much queso dip, which is my favorite way to spend an evening.

LL: I'm still getting over a nasty cold and I have a paper due once winter break is over. It's on Revolutionary Girl Utena, though, so at least it's something I like. But also I like it too much???? So much happens in that series and I want to do it justice, so I'm having a LOT of trouble consolidating all my thoughts down to five pages. I have like twelve pages of notes.

01.03.2016, 12:07 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, hey little sister, at least it is something that you like. I am assuming that it is some kind of schoolwork and that doesn't always happen.

Good to see you again and hope you have a great New Year. Hope you're feeling better soon. BTW, a good boyfriend if he is sitting with you through a cold, lol

I remember that in college, I had to take a humanities subject so I selected American Indian Lifestyles, some thing that I had been interested in since Junior High school. BTW, I started college at the age of 30. the lady and I had some good discussions in class and we BOTH learned new things about the old Indian lifestyle. Because of my own casual learning through the years on my own, I had learned and documented some aspects of various tribal traits that she hadn't know about. Needless to say, I got an 'A' in that class...lol

It was one of my favorite classes, along with Spanish and a firearms class witch led to my competing against all varieties of law-enforcement officers for 4 years.

HL:
My wrist stopped hurting, sprained it a couple of days ago...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.03.2016, 01:36 PM.

01.03.2016, 01:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just stopping in real quick!

HL: Tomorrooooooow I go to Indiaaaaaa ahhhhhhh

(I'm very nervous and excited)

(I am EXTREMELY nervous about the long haul flight by myself)

01.03.2016, 02:34 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, cool!! How long are you going for? I hope you have fun!

And don't worry too much about the long flight. They're uncomfortable and tedious, but at least they're pretty uneventful.

01.03.2016, 04:17 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd forgotten that was coming up. Its come round so soon. I hope you have a simply amazing time and experience there. The country looks incredible on a TV screen and I'm sure its more wonderful in the flesh.

@ Kaz (and anyone else) - which Japan documentaries do you recommend? I'd like to find a good one that's a general history of the country and another on culture / society / religion.

HL: Currently reading a general history of the country from neolithic times to the present day. Discovered that the paranoia of the Tokugawa Shogunate is the reason that for 100s of years Japanese society has placed more value in the community than the individual and why a person's actions or inactions can bring dishonour to a family (even a very wide family). I'm glad I found the source of these behaviours.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.03.2016, 08:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*hugs NC* So excited for you! Hopefully you can sleep through the flight, that's what I do

Hope we get to hear from you when possible! If not, have a wonderful time~

01.03.2016, 09:49 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@NC:
Happy New Year and have fun on your trip. If possible, keep in touch and let us know how you're doing...

@fenkashi
Happy New Year and hoping you and your future hubby have a wonderful life... Also hoping that you keep in touch after you're an ol' married lady...

@Saddles
Can you give me the title of the piece that you are reading? It sounds interesting...

01.04.2016, 02:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

NC, have a fun and safe trip!

I'm also interested in these Japanese history research materials Saddles asked for.

LL: I've been coughing for almost two weeks now, I'm a bit worried.

01.04.2016, 02:34 AM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
@ Kaz (and anyone else) - which Japan documentaries do you recommend? I'd like to find a good one that's a general history of the country and another on culture / society / religion.

HL: Currently reading a general history of the country from neolithic times to the present day. Discovered that the paranoia of the Tokugawa Shogunate is the reason that for 100s of years Japanese society has placed more value in the community than the individual and why a person's actions or inactions can bring dishonour to a family (even a very wide family). I'm glad I found the source of these behaviours.

I watched a history documentary a while back called Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire. As I remember it's in three parts, each about an hour long... It starts around the time of Ieyasu Tokugawa's birth. I seem to remember it being quite good. Easily found on YouTube.

As for culture, I think Begin Japanology and Japanology Plus are really good for that. There are loads of these, all half an hour long on all kinds of subjects. I also watch from time to time Journeys in Japan, Seasoning the Seasons, and Tokyo Eye. These ones are all about specific locations in Japan and can be quite interesting too.

My Anime List

01.04.2016, 03:50 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Quitting the club activity I'm a part of because the exec give me terrible anxiety and were rude as heck to my friend for quitting. So happy with this decision.

Have fun, NC!

01.04.2016, 05:51 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@bel

I have no idea what your medical condition is, but as for coughing, I use something called 'Fisherman's Friend'. I buy it over the counter here in the States and believe that it is from one of the Scandinavian countries. I usually break half a lozenge and hold it under my tongue. This works well for me, especially when trying to go to sleep at night and it ALWAYS works. However, if your medical condition precludes this, then I don't know and if you are concerned then, by all means, see your doctor...

01.04.2016, 06:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That's good that you did that, FFF. Don't need nonsense like that in your life. u.u

HL: well, I handed in my portfolio for Japanese, kind of. Mostly. Most of it's there. <.< Don't kill me, senseiiii...

LL: this damn cold. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

My Anime List

01.04.2016, 03:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The book I'm currently reading is "A Short History of Japan - from Samurai to Sony" by Curtis Andressen. ISBN 1-86508-516-2. Its thin on details but pretty good for a broad sweep of things. I'm at the first world war now and you can see the roots of Japan's militaristic expansion of the 1930s and 40s being planted several decades before. They won two significant wars against China in 1894 and Russia in 1904-05 which led them to assume military prowess and success was an acceptable diplomatic tool. They also passed a law that the government's Navy and Army Ministries must be headed up by a serving admiral and general which was to reap terrible results in later decades.

The exploitation by western powers in the 1870s to 1890s (mostly in trade, industry and technology) caused the Japanese to suffer an inferiority complex as a "backward power" which led them to develop a strong thirst for colonial expansion of their own, particularly against China and Korea. You can clearly see how the poor treatment of them by the European powers and America laid the steps of their path to war in the 1940s.

01.04.2016, 04:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  608  609  610  611  612  613  614  615  616  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks