QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  607  608  609  610  611  612  613  614  615  ...    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I trust that you will not think bad of me for correcting your spelling in one instance...

Instead of 'peruse my carrier', I believe from the context of your sentence you meant to write 'pursue my career'...

peruse= to read
carrier= one who carries

persue = to chase or seek
career = profession

very close, but no cigar...

ofcourse not

actually i am kind of smiling at my mistake cause it shows how being a non native speaker can make me not even consider that mistake(carrier)(i do not know if there is a pronunciation difference)(and even more interestingly i wrote this exact same word for a Banner in a University Program today which was fixed by my friend)(i hope i wont make this mistake ever), on the other hand the second mistake happened cause i was not concentrating on the keyboard, if it was my native language then i would have seen that just the position of u and s was interchanged. So thank you very much.

surprisingly it is you wrote pursue differently in the same post, funny is not it. sometimes double checking post is not very actionable for scarcity of time.

and please detect more mistakes as it make me a better writer. and i can proudly say that most of my skill came from writing huge texts at tavern. i miss those days

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

12.19.2015, 01:14 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Career sounds like KA-rear (the KA is like KAW without the W)

Carrier sounds like care-ee-er

This is very simplified and doesn't have (pronounciation) pronunciation marks... And I just (mispelled) misspelled two words and corrected them.

Remember, as I've told you, I dropped out of high school because of failing English, mainly grammar...

Blows me away that I got an 'A' in English in college...

And even native English speakers mispell (lol) words... Correct spelling is above with two 's'...

And sometimes it depends on the country you are in:

theater-theatre
color-colour
gasoline-petrol
tire-tyre
etc.

SOME of us English-speaking countries spell better than OTHERS....

(runs and hides from Saddles)

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.19.2015, 06:10 PM.

12.19.2015, 06:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What country calls gasoline petrol? I think we use both here, but most people say gasoline.

Hahaha so today, I had relatives ask me the difference between China and Japan...

12.20.2015, 01:37 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Petrol is a pretty UK thing, I think.

I had 3 or 4 dinners tonight. I might die.

12.20.2015, 02:36 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We have petrol in the UK. And diesel. We never use the word "gasoline", only "gas" which is a vapour fuel carried underground in pipes used to light boilers etc. In rural areas where there is no gas supply many properties use heavy oil for heating which is delivered by tanker lorry (aka trucks) which use hoses to fill the overground or underground tanks.

I have an American friend on another forum and us English people are always swapping jibes with him over the difference between England the USA, especially the histories of our two countries. Its a lot of fun and I learn a good deal about my own culture and his while doing so. Some people seem to have trouble taking these things in the right spirit but when they do it's great.

I would say that career is pronounced with a short hard "ka" as in "carry", then "rear" as in behind (or butt to Husky).

Carrier is "carry" "her" without the "h" sound of "her".

@ Fen - 3 or 4? You mean it was such an orgy of consumption that you lost count? I'm impressed!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.20.2015, 05:28 AM.

12.20.2015, 05:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, idk. Do nachos count as a meal? If so, 4.

12.20.2015, 06:13 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I have a date!

12.20.2015, 08:56 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's great news. Is it with that person you were talking about a few weeks ago?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.20.2015, 11:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Congrats, Flare!

HL: New 'D.Gray-man' Animated Series Announced for 2016. Wooooo!! I can't believe it's been seven years... seven long years since it first finished airing. I was fifteen! I never expected they'd be animating any more of DGM. Hyped!

My Anime List

12.20.2015, 11:59 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some of my Japanese friends first lived in New Zealand and they picked up the slang and terms from there before coming here. Kind of funny.

I love explaining idioms and things to my friends. XD The students studying English have to do projects for class sometimes on idioms and we have to go through a list of them and I explain them.

I rarely correct friends spoken English. I only do it if they ask me to point out their mistakes. Papers and things, we usually go over those together and I point out their mistakes and how to fix them. Still wish my Waseda friend was here. Her papers were amazing for someone who'd never lived in an English speaking country before. Her spoken English, too. Some of my friends have amazing English speaking skills and we don't really know how or why that happened. haha

My grammar is far from being perfect, which some people point out. I word sentences oddly. But I'm aware of it so I try to fix that. I'm a bit worried if this will negatively impact me as a potential teacher, but I can't help how I was raised. I'm pretty good at being able to help others.

HL: Made tonkatsu and it came out yummy. ^o^

12.20.2015, 01:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ Saddles

(or butt to Husky).

Are you trying to say something here!!!
------------------------------------------------------------
@ fenkashi

Nachos are very popular here in Southern California. I can't really speak for other parts of the country as I was only in them for a short while and don't remember. Nachos can be either a small dish of them with salsa, guacamole, etc., or a meal in itself, like a nacho salad. I had a nacho salad the other evening for dinner. So main course or side dish or snack would depend on how much and what you are used to eating.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Flare
good show, my friend. I have the same question as Saddles
-----------------------------------------------------------------

back to fen:

You must tell us more about your fiance! I am sure that we all are interested... How did you meet, etc...
------------------------------------------------------------------

@FFF

When my second step-father was still in the picture, he had only an 8th grade education and was constantly trying to improve himself, He told me that if I heard him mis-pronounce or misuse a word, no matter where, I was to correct him. I always tried to do this in a non-embarrassing way. My sister and I consider him to be the best and most loving Dad we ever had, even tho our mother divorced him.
Dang, getting teary-eyed just thinking about him.
--------------------------------------------------------------

HL/LL: Thinking of Jim...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.20.2015, 02:13 PM.

12.20.2015, 02:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Date didn't go as well as planned, we ended up going with a bunch of other people. I ended up talking more with her friend than with her. And to answer your question, Saddles, no, it was not.

12.21.2015, 12:42 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Please, guys, you must correct me when I make English mistakes too!
Don't hesitate, don't worry about hurting my feelings or anything, just do it right away!

Flare, why don't you try asking her out again? Maybe she was nervous and that's why she went with her friends.
This time, make sure you two go alone and it may be better...

Then again, I know nothing of American dating protocols. Not even Brazilian ones, I only had like two dates in my life and they were very awkward (luckily, my current bf likes this awkward person called Bel).

HL: Home alone, watching cartoons.

12.21.2015, 01:25 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Christmas eve!

Another year over and the Tavern just keeps on rolling.

I want to wish everyone a really amazing and fun Christmas and I hope you all enjoy a great time with either family, friends, loved ones, or just some good food and anime.

Wanting you all to have a super 2016 as well!

12.24.2015, 05:28 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Merry Christmas Eve to all! Here's to many more years with you guys, and many wonderful Christmases! I did say that what I most wanted for Christmas this year was any Pixar or Studio Ghibli film I don't have on Blu-Ray. Here's to hoping they came through!

Had a good year, here's to a better 2016.

12.24.2015, 10:10 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Ho Ho Ho to All, and no I ain't Santa, I'm not quite that old...

I wish all who celebrate it a Very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year in 2016...

And to those who don't celebrate Christmas, may your days be filled with gladness and warmth for one another...

May the Tavern live forever (thanks UO) and Ghibli Studio decide on another movie this coming year...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.24.2015, 01:01 PM.

12.24.2015, 01:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy Holidays to everyone here at the tavern! Hope 2016 will be a good year for you guys.

12.25.2015, 12:50 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

HL: I got The Wind Rises on Blu-ray! So glad my Ghibli collection is expanding, it's up to... about 6 films now? Also got Toy Story and Inside Out, as well as Miyazaki's biography. A wonderful day.

12.26.2015, 12:53 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

LL:
My van acting up[... possibly the battery or the alternator... going to the shop today, people I trust... Hoping that it is just the battery.

I haven't got my license back yet, hopefully soon... It's been six months now and my Dr said that he will sign off on it and then it is up to the DMV to re-instate the license...

I depend on others to take me places and we just use my van... least I can do...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.29.2015, 05:41 PM.

12.28.2015, 04:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Yay, my van is coming home. The shop is delivering it. It was the fuel pump, intermittently cutting out... $555 so not bad, corrected a couple of other things at no charge... nice of them...I've known Don and Annette for almost 20 yrs.

12.29.2015, 06:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  607  608  609  610  611  612  613  614  615  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks