QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  597  598  599  600  601  602  603  604  605  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL:
Talk about a screwed-up day...

Went in to get an MRI and found out that yes, I can receive one even with the small chest implant that I have... HOWEVER... First I have to go to Cardio and have the implant read and recorded, then get the MRI, then go back to cardio and get my implant read again...
AND NO ONE KNEW THIS BEFOREHAND!!! a severe lack of coordination amongst the diff departments... So now my Dr has to request it all over again WITH the Cardio visits included...

Then for the ultrasound, no appt req'd and walk-in ok...
BUT!, 8 hr fasting req'd and no one told me!!! I'd had breakfast only 4 hrs earlier so I could take my meds...!!!

Then I had an appt for Wed, but because of no MRI, was told that it was canceled until a later date... So I called my ride and cancelled it... THEN, get another call to come by the Wed appt office before I leave the hospital. Was then told that appt was back on as it was for another reason, not the MRI...!!! So I had to call my ride back and apologize and beg (so to speak) for my ride again... Felt like an ass...

THEN... My buddy, who drove my van, forgot to release my parking brake after we had eaten lunch. We did some freeway driving and some round about in town while checking out some historical sites. As we were approaching my house we came to a stop sign. He almost couldn't stop because of overheated brakes!!!

They are cooling off now and I will take it around the block later to check them...

NOT one of my better days...

08.10.2015, 09:00 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HAHAHAlight:
@FFF
When we were living in Japan, my mother was very jazzed about her bra size in the Japanese stores... She was a 99.. not her usual American 30-something C-cup... Big smile on her face... lol

08.10.2015, 09:05 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky

Yikes! That sounds awful. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the medical system seem bizarrely inept for the amount of education it takes to even get in???

HL: My boyfriend started teaching me how to play drums! It was fun. Reminded me of back when I used to play tablas. I'm still a lil sad about not playing tablas anymore, but it's not realistic to play them anyway because a) I never learned to tune them b) I lost my book with all the compositions I knew in it, couldn't read my kid handwriting even if I did have it, and it's super impossible to find good tabla resources online, c) it might be like... culturally appropriative to play them as a white person... and d) lessons are EXPENSIVE. But I'm still sad. I was really good at the speedy finger moves.

LL: I'm TIRED, as usual, so I didn't get even half of the stuff I needed to do done. And my sensory processing disorder decided to act up so I was Uncomfortable all day

08.10.2015, 11:23 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: I just found out some pretty devastating news and now I'm a mess. Basically, if I stay with my boyfriend, we'd be separated long distance for six years. It was very sudden and neither of us saw that coming. I'm so upset and nothing can make it easier..

08.10.2015, 11:29 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, really sorry to hear that FFF. Let's hope everything goes well.

HL: Discovered the wonders of xcopy for crashed hard drives.

LL: Already lost half my data before I found this.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.11.2015, 12:04 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's been a while, how are you guys~

HL: still having a grand time in Ghana. Also, I got myself a bf. He's honestly the nicest, most sincere, hard-working, and like GOOD person I've ever met. And we have the kind of relationship that I've only really dreamed about.

LL: I have to go back home next week... and there's some other extenuating circumstances that make commitment to long-distance kinda complicated. Basically you have a very conflicted fen who has no idea what she will do and is now, alarmingly, talking in third person... and it's not just that. This whole place feels like home and it's gonna suck leaving behind all my friends and not being sure when I can see them again.

08.13.2015, 04:46 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to hear that fen. I'm glad you're having so much fun there, but I really relate to that very last part.

08.13.2015, 06:32 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I can also relate, fen. All the moves that I've made and having to leave behind newly made friends and strive for more new ones in the different places that I moved too.

But you're going home and leaving 'home' at the same time and I feel your pain...

Big hugs, for what they are worth...

08.13.2015, 03:54 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

LLLLL:
Was just informed yesterday that I will not be allowed to drive for at least 6 months, assuming that I have no new seizures...

forces me to rely on others for transport and even local errands. We don't have the connecting transport that I understand exists in Great Britain... I found one bus servive that connects me to the VA Hosp, but that is 3 miles+ away on my end. I have to see if there is a bus service that connects... As for local taxis, I think we may have one or maybe two taxis in the whole two connected cities...

08.13.2015, 04:02 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, man, Husky that sucks!

08.14.2015, 09:07 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Things are looking a little better now.

Pretty weird week, especially emotionally. Just feeling unsure of some things and more certain of other things.

Also, kind of freaking out that I can apply for JET soon. Like, really really freaking out. I started panicking about that yesterday. It'll all be alright, but I can't help the anxious feeling I'm getting. People keep asking me, "Why are you panicking??" It's just my anxiety. It eventually settles but before it does I get so sick and shaky.

I need to email my work and potential academic references if they would write me a letter. I'm pretty sure they will, but I'm terrified no one will for me..

08.15.2015, 11:56 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How long have you done that job? Since JET requires a non-specific degree, the references will be more about personal qualities than professional experience. I've had a few jobs and still only used academic references for JET, and I think that's true for other people I know who applied as well, so unless you've done the job for quite a long time, I'd recommend sticking with teachers.

08.15.2015, 02:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
How long have you done that job? Since JET requires a non-specific degree, the references will be more about personal qualities than professional experience. I've had a few jobs and still only used academic references for JET, and I think that's true for other people I know who applied as well, so unless you've done the job for quite a long time, I'd recommend sticking with teachers.

I'm not sure if I would have two good recommendations from teachers though. :/ I've volunteered with a group as a conversational partner with Japanese students for the past couple years and recently had a paid job with them this summer. Do you think that would be alright then to use the coordinator as a reference? I figured this would be a stronger reference for me than asking another professor, as I am not close with many of them. I mean, I have been a part of this program since February 2013 and I know the coordinator well. This was also a job and a volunteer program offered through my university.

If you think it's better to stick with two academic references, I can, but none of my professors have known me as long as the coordinator of that program. Most of them would only be able to provide me rather generic letters of reference.

I can also ask the program coordinator what she thinks since she sets up JET sessions at our school. She's never lived in Japan or been a part of JET, but she might have more insight on what's the best for me as far as references go. She has taught overseas. I really did want to use her as a reference though since she knows me on a personal and professional level, as well as my involvement and dedication.

What do you think? I was factoring in my volunteer experience on top of the paid position I took over the summer. I had wanted to use the coordinator as a reference since I first joined the program.

08.16.2015, 12:49 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@everyone about to deal with long distance: that sucks! I hope you find a way to work it out though!!!!

HL: I ate four slices of pizza AND a taco.

LL: My teeth have been hurting all day

08.16.2015, 01:30 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

@FFF: since you've known the coordinator at your work longer than your teachers, and she has that connection with Japan, maybe that would be more suitable after all. At the very least, asking her for advice is probably a good idea.

08.16.2015, 05:05 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
@FFF: since you've known the coordinator at your work longer than your teachers, and she has that connection with Japan, maybe that would be more suitable after all. At the very least, asking her for advice is probably a good idea.

Yeah! haha I should've asked her this week, but I completely forgot that most students just give two academic references. I'll have to send her an email and see. My academic references have no connections to Japan. I'll send her an email soon or a FB message.

Most people I know have only used academic references, now that I think about it. I was thinking of who could write me better letters. She's employed by my university so it should be fine. She knows also this has been one of my goals.

If it was mainly volunteer, do you think that'll be a problem??

EDIT: My friend in JET used our Japanese professor and her old boss, so I should be fine! I'd ask our Japanese professor, but I won't get to know her really well until this fall. ^^;

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 08.16.2015, 09:51 AM.

08.16.2015, 09:34 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

As for the volunteer thing, I doubt it would be a problem... If you ask her about it she might have some idea.

08.16.2015, 10:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki

HL: I ate four slices of pizza AND a taco.

LL: My teeth have been hurting all day

This is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while.

08.16.2015, 10:25 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: In Heathrow airport.

LL: My GOD saddle, does London not get summer or what? 16°c is just freezing for me. Hopefully it gets warmer later, else staying in the warm airport doesn't sound half bad.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.20.2015, 01:37 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We had a hottish spell in July where temperatures hit 34 degrees C which is the hottest ever recorded in Britain, but recent weeks have seen much cooler weather. Usually in summer you can expect temperatures around the mid to high 20s. 30 centigrade is hot here!

Are you just stopping over in London then on your way again to the USA or are you around a few days? It would be fantastic to meet up for a chat.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.20.2015, 05:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  597  598  599  600  601  602  603  604  605  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks