QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Girls!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Girls!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18 And what is anime style art anyway?
You don't really need that question answering do you?

quote:
It doesn't all look the same.
It all falls within certain conventions, none of which that picture is adhering to.

Like, um... to start with in this picture. Eyes. Nose. Mouth. Skintone.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.21.2009, 09:59 AM.

05.21.2009, 09:50 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, anime art covers many styles. By it's usual definition, anime is animation made in Japan, though now actually covers animation made in many parts of the world. The most recognizable features, used in most anime, are females with large eyes. The Japanese artist originally copied this style from the earlier works of the Disney studios. Though the lines between anime style art and western style art are often blurred, I would put that picture mor into the western "Pin Up" style. It's a very nice picture though.

05.21.2009, 11:52 AM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
oldwrench
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If a western illustrator had done Sailor Moon?

And Deedlit from Lodoss Wars

05.21.2009, 12:02 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They remind me of American pin-ups from the 40s and 50s.

It does not matter where anime is made, but it must all follow the peculiar style of the Japanese artists I think. If you say anime can be made in the USA (which one series has been) but it used the above art style, it's no longer anime but western animation.

The word, while just being the Japanese word for animation does carry with it other requirements.

Anyway, off topic. And we've had this conversation here before, so... meh.

I'm watching K-ON! at the moment. 'Tis fun, and so without further ado...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.21.2009, 12:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nice pics, Saddles...

as for the other girl with the headphones, just think of her as a persecom, like from "Chi"

05.21.2009, 12:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is K-ON! by the same studio that made Haruhi? 'Cause that picture is definitely in the same style. But yeah.. it looks like fun. I may watch it sometime.

My Anime List

05.21.2009, 12:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yep, same studio - Kyoto Animation. It shows as well. Within a minute or two of watching the first episoide I thought "this reminds me of Haruhi."

I think Haruhi has inspired several anime studios to produce series that have a similar feel. Until recently many girls in anime were portrayed as cute, submissive and moe-like. Haruhi blew all that away and you can feel her personality running right through K-ON! in the crazyness and mentality of the girls.

Its a comedy and is a bit too silly for my taste. I couldn't help comparing it to Beck when it began but it's nothing like that. However I'm sticking with it as I think the girl band will develop into something really interesting later on, hopefully the ending credits give a hint of where their performances might end up. The above pics are fanart based on the costumes the band wear in the end credits.

05.21.2009, 12:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The word, while just being the Japanese word for animation does carry with it other requirements.

I still find the lines too blurry... but whatever.

In other news, I like those pictures. I've seen lots of K-On fanart, and from what I've seen, it looks good.

05.21.2009, 03:46 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went looking for K-on on eBay and all I could find were CDs, posters, cosplay costumes, etc... Are they on DVD?

05.21.2009, 11:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Omg, they're so cute! I want their clothes...and I'm totally going to watch K-ON now. As soon as I find some time. xD

05.22.2009, 02:00 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

K-ON! Hahaha, they're so cute. ^_^

I love love love their outfits from the ending credits. Like fen, I want them!!!

05.22.2009, 02:22 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Heheh, I'm surprised you like those clothes Fen. They're borderline Lolita-Gothic which you said you hated on those Rei and Asuka pix months back.

But they are very nicely drawn characters. And Mio is... yummy. Easily the hottest.

That fanart is just taken from the closing credits, though there's a bit of dressing up in the early episodes - Mio gets offered a maids outfit... yeah, well... the usual stuff there.

But mostly its high school uniforms.

I'm *hoping* those great outfits get some screentime later in the story when the band become more successful.

I like Ritsu's get up with the long boots, baggy knee-trousers and top. Very cool.

Husky - the show is still airing in Japan right now, started in April. Currently up to ep.7. I'm watching it via torrents but I'll definitely buy the DVDs when they are issued.

I got into it because Miyrru has a Mio sig ATM and it caught my eye.

05.22.2009, 07:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Their usual look:

And Mio is... very appealling. It's her eyes I think. Lovely eyes.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.22.2009, 07:28 AM.

05.22.2009, 07:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Heheh, I'm surprised you like those clothes Fen. They're borderline Lolita-Gothic which you said you hated on those Rei and Asuka pix months back.

Oh yeah, I didn't like those...but these are nice. I'm not a huge fan of pageboy pants but they look nice there. Plus, theses outfits are not really gothic. And I would take them without the the weird accessories. xP

Um...their hair colour changes...but they're still pretty adorable. I like the one with the barrettes.

05.22.2009, 10:46 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The pictures are by different artists. This is all fan art, though the one of them sitting down against the stage is official I think. So that explains slightly different hair colours and details.

The girl with the hair slides is Yui, the show's main character. She's a complete ditz... think Na-chan without the Shadows. She somehow manages to learn to play rock guitar in six months. Ahem. It's not a very realistic show

But it is fun and the comedy is good. Some good lines in it.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.22.2009, 10:53 AM.

05.22.2009, 10:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
oldwrench
Warawara

I want a catgirl........ their so cute. Must be the ears.

05.22.2009, 04:45 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
oldwrench
Warawara

more?

Oh, I do have Lucy Fur

05.22.2009, 04:49 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
oldwrench
Warawara

I found another nice one from Moon Phase.

05.22.2009, 05:09 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Glad I could get you hooked Saddles, I love K-On! right now. It is the show I most look forward to during the week. Mio I believe is the most popular anime girl in the ani-world right now. She is moe-moe kyun!

I need to do a better motion avy of her, my current one is kinda basic and lame.

EDIT: As an aside, I think that KyoAni is probably the most consistent studio there is. They only have a hand full of titles and all of them are way above average. With Air, Kanon, Clannad, Lucky Star, Haruhi and K-On! being as far as I know, their only fully produced releases they batting 1.000 in my opinion.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

Post last edited by Miyrru on 05.22.2009, 10:39 PM.

05.22.2009, 10:29 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Not seen Lucky Star. Should I?

05.23.2009, 11:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks