QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  111  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@saddle: Read or Die is a 3-ep ova. You're probably referring to Read or Dream.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.26.2014, 09:09 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have Noir and I enjoyed viewing it. As you said, Orphic, no fan service, which I found refreshing...

01.26.2014, 10:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

R.O.D. the TV is a combo of Read or Die and Read or Dream's characters, but fans tend to refer to it as Read or Die as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.O.D_the_TV

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.26.2014, 10:50 PM.

01.26.2014, 10:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I usually refer to the actual screen title. The series IMO isn't that great. Watchable, good, but not great.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.26.2014, 11:41 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On a mad whim I just started Gurren Lagann. Its not the usual thing I'd watch but surprisingly I'm enjoying it. Its complete insanity and some of the art reminds me of Fooly Cooly. Its making me laugh which is never a bad thing.

Began Suisei no Gargantia as well. Very nice art and CGI and an imaginative setting. It reminds me a lot of Last Exile in terms of the broad concepts (primitive vs advanced culture clash, huge ships and old technology, a main character out of their depth in a fantastical world, water shortage). Ridget, the executive officer of the main ship even has the same general character, hairstyle and glasses of Sophia Forrester, the equivalent character in Last Exile so I was reminded of that instantly she appeared.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20...3/3e/Ridget.jpg

http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/i...a_Foresutaa.jpg

There's a very neatly done and circumvented language barrier between the two cultures, overcome by technology but done very well. Kudos for that, for even attempting it which few fiction stories even try to do. I've watched a few episodes so far and the 5th was full of babes in swimsuits but... I'll push on, it has potential and has a nice mood to it.

Watched the first 2 eps of Soa no Woto. Unsure if I'll continue; it feels like K-ON! in army uniforms with what might be some shallow moe characters. I should give them a chance to develop though before I give up. The setting is very nicely done though and it reminds me of the kinds of early to mid-20th century European towns seen in Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey and Porco Rosso. The location is based on a real place in Spain apparently and a huge amount of effort has obviously gone into the setting. I just hope the story lives up to the cool backgrounds.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.27.2014, 04:46 PM.

01.27.2014, 07:33 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I ended up disappointed by Gurren Lagann honestly. It was a lot of fun to begin with, but I found that the craziness and always one-upping the previous ridiculous transformation actually became sorta predictable and I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I'd be more inclined to recommend the shows that the director has done since.

01.27.2014, 10:23 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gurren Lagann was...not for me. Just about the opposite of "for me," in fact. I know it is intentionally trying to be over-the-top and ridiculous, but the genre it is parodying is already so over-the-top and ridiculous, how effective can a parody really be? Instead it felt like an amplification of every trend in anime that I dislike, purified of redeeming content and condensed into one show.

But I know a lot of people who love it, so I know the problem is probably with me rather than the show itself.

01.27.2014, 11:07 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say it's more of an homage than a parody. I feel that rather than mocking the conventions of the super robot genre, it takes pleasure in following them to such a crazy degree. I've said that I wasn't keen in the end, but I wouldn't agree that it follows modern trends, since it's more of a nostalgic throwback to the cheesy mecha shows of the past.

01.27.2014, 11:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi who also worked on Fooly Cooly so that's where that connection in style comes from. I see he did some work on Kare Kano too and I was unaware he did some Evangelion scenes.

A couple of his later works have big fans here so I might dip into some of those too, since they already come with recommendations. I like his fast and furious style, its fun and invigorating.

How do people rate Black Rock Shooter?

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.27.2014, 12:32 PM.

01.27.2014, 12:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I didn't see Black Rock Shooter, but I heard it wasn't that great. Since it's based on a character based on Hatsune Miku and originally made for a music video, I suppose you can't expect too much.

01.27.2014, 01:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I read the basic plot and setting on Wikipedia and wasn't drawn to it. Thanks for the info.

01.27.2014, 02:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I would say it's more of an homage than a parody. I feel that rather than mocking the conventions of the super robot genre, it takes pleasure in following them to such a crazy degree. I've said that I wasn't keen in the end, but I wouldn't agree that it follows modern trends, since it's more of a nostalgic throwback to the cheesy mecha shows of the past.

I'm not referring specifically to modern trends (which I agree it doesn't follow so much), but to certain characteristics you find in a wide variety of anime. Like every single line of dialogue being screamed in overly dramatic fashion, the female sidekick existing almost solely for her boobs, the gay sidekick existing almost solely for comic relief, the hyperactive plot, etc.

I mean it's not as if fanservice is ever less than shamelessly overt, so what's the point of making it even more obvious? The whole show was like that for me: taking tropes that are already cranked up to 11 in a lot of anime, and then cranking them up to 13.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.27.2014, 06:40 PM.

01.27.2014, 06:02 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think that's a little harsh. Gurren Lagann is an over-the-top comic strip joke of a story from start to finish (or at least from start to where I've got to so far and according to a couple of sites I've checked it gets more outrageous as it goes on). In my view extreme tropes and boobs everywhere is less of an issue in an anime that makes no attempts to hide things or play any kind of 'straight' story.

Its like a James Bond movie where all the British agents are smooth tuxedo-wearing dudes, all the bad guys are insane with power and have Persian cats and the misogyny is so obvious you could build a comfortable dwelling out of it. Its just how these kinds of movies are.

I find fanservice worse in a 'normal' setting such as a high school rom-com where in 13 or 26 episodes there is always the 1 obligatory beach scene with far more lingering views of the girls in their swimsuits than the guy(s) in their shorts, or an otherwise okay real-world show where you'll randomly see panties only 2 or 3 times. In these cases the fanservice is there just to tease, titillate and get web forums buzzing to try and increase viewing figures.

In GL though its there all the time along with all kinds of other silliness and so it seems to almost have a place and is less offensive.

One upskirt shot in an otherwise non-sexual anime offends me much more that Yoko leaping about in her bilkini top all the time.

I'm not defending it - don't get me wrong - GL is not the kind of anime I usually watch for a good reason, I'm just saying that some shows are ruined by a little bit of smut while others are not ruined by a lot.

For example Susei no Gargantia has a lot of semi-nudity in both episodes 5 and 6 and its really putting me off an otherwise nice story. Without that it would be so much better and because its a pretty good story and setting the damage to it is that much greater.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.27.2014, 08:11 PM.

01.27.2014, 08:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I think for that kind of thing, the way it's incorporated is quite important. For example, if fanservice serves a humorous purpose, then I enjoy it for its comedy value, or if it's simply a matter of the character being very sexy in-universe, or showing the viewpoint of other onlooking characters, then it makes sense. My problem with it in Gurren Lagann is that Yoko actually has potential to be a really good and likeable character, regardless of how she looks. I don't want to post any spoilers since I don't know how much Saddles has seen, but to cut a long story short, I felt like they wasted that potential.

01.28.2014, 01:21 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Like I said, the show's not for me. But considering how well-liked it is by most people, I'll admit it probably succeeds at what it sets out to do. I find fanservice off-putting in most contexts, although I can certainly see how you might find it more jarring and disruptive in a more realistic show. In the end, though, it wasn't so much the fanservice as the frenetic pacing and the cast, which I found mostly obnoxious, that made me drop Gurren Lagann.

I'm not against fanservice if it's done right...but then it kind of ceases to be fanservice and becomes regular ol' sexual content, whether it's crucial to the story, or thematically relevant, or a thoughtfully made stylistic decision. I'd say Utena's many shirtless scenes fall into this last category, as they're a meaningful (and hilarious) metacommentary on the shoujo genre, but that's where you enter gray territory, because who's to say Yoko's colossal boobs aren't also part of some tremendously deep metacommentary on shounen mecha. Ultimately the number of scholarly essays written about Utena vs. those written about Gurren Lagann probably suggests that there was a little more thought put into Utena overall, but it's still an arguable point. I'm open to persuasion.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.28.2014, 02:19 AM.

01.28.2014, 02:18 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
But considering how well-liked it is by most people, I'll admit it probably succeeds at what it sets out to do.

That line can be used for everything Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach, Pretty Cure, Masked Rider, etc etc.

Juz sayin'.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.28.2014, 08:51 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
That line can be used for everything Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach, Pretty Cure, Masked Rider, etc etc.

Juz sayin'.

Well, all those shows also probably succeed at what they set out to do, which is provide readily accessible entertainment for a certain demographic. Personally I'm not interested in the kind of media the average 13 year old boy consumes, but I'm not going to fault something like Naruto for not being a profound work of art when it's not trying to be. I just acknowledge that it's not my thing and move on.

EDIT: I really liked Noir. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or anything, and the story is pretty thin for a 26 episode series (although, on the other hand, I don't think 13 would have been enough), but it picks up a lot toward the end and has some inspired moments along the way. I found the conclusion highly satisfying, explaining just enough while leaving some things still open to interpretation.

Although certain songs in the soundtrack get used A LOT, they are so good I didn't mind the repetition so much. The background art is another standout: it's beautiful and detailed and varies a lot from episode to episode. You really get a feel for all the different locations the two main characters visit. Overall I would recommend the series, with the caveat that it won't be to all tastes. If you aren't fond of scenes where two characters point guns at each other for about a minute while the camera slowly pans across their eyes, you might want to stay away (because seriously I'm pretty sure that happens almost every episode).

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.30.2014, 02:30 AM.

01.28.2014, 10:05 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Finished Susei no Gargantia. I enjoyed it and recommend it. Its very light and easy to watch and the societies and world building is solid enough to keep you interested. There were two episodes with fanservice in at 5 and 6 but after that nothing to take away the immersion in a pretty good story with a couple of nice twists at the end.

Art is great, CGI good and character designs are very nice, especially the lead male.

02.01.2014, 11:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Not currently watching it but lots of people seem to like Sword Art Online. I know a bit about it (real people trapped in a fantasy MMO) and I am not interested in fantasy MMOs such as WoW so I wonder if it'd be my thing.

Can anyone give a thumbnail review please?

02.05.2014, 09:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I'm afraid I can't help you there Saddles!

One thing I wanted to ask others was if anybody else is watching Hamatora. I've watched four episodes and been... kinda disappointed. I want to like it, but it's a bit predictable and the characters aren't all that great. I'm intrigued by the plot and that makes me consider continuing, but I feel like it'll just let me down when I could be watching all-round better shows. So if anybody else is watching, should I stick with it, or let it go?

02.06.2014, 03:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  111  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks