QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What are you listening to right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What are you listening to right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  214  215  216  217  218  219  220  221  222  ...    »  ]
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Still on the Arcade Fire matter:

11.29.2015, 11:04 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Listening to a biography of Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr., son of a great Air Force pilot and how he came to be a singer. He was once a member of the Mitchel Trio, a political singing group... He wrote "Leaving on a Jet Plane" later covered by the Peter, Pauil and Mary trio and it pretty much became their signature song. He even wrote a song that became an anthem of the State of Colorado called "Rocky Mountain High", written from his experience from a trip to the mountain wilderness at a time of the annual Pliedes Meteor shower.He sang some 300 songs and recorded some 200 of them. Listening to the songs and singing along with them brings back so many, many memories...

Oh, yeah, since Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. wouldn't fit on a marquee and despite the fact that he didn't want to change it, one of the people that he was with that day told him that from then on he was "John Denver"!.

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.30.2015, 04:07 AM.

11.30.2015, 04:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
belborges
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky, now I can't get Take me Home Country Roads out of my head!!

Thanks for the info, I didn't know anything about John Denver. Always nice to learn something new.

11.30.2015, 10:35 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, where'd you get that body from? I got it from my Daddy.

11.30.2015, 11:45 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Eh???

12.01.2015, 01:12 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

When Denver dies at the age of 53, he was flying solo in an experimental plane of his and crashed into Monterey Bay, irc. It was determined that he ran out of fuek in ine tank and was unable to switch to a full tank for some reason. Before this show I had never know what an accomplished pilot he was.

==========================================

Listening tonight to Celtic Woman: Destiny... wonderful music... Interesting note... this song "oro se do bheatha bhaile" that they performed, I seemed to recognize the tune but the lyrics were in Irish Gaelic, I believe.... I finally remembered what the tune was: "What do we do With a Drunken Sailor", which when I checked the translation, most definetly was not the words to THIS song...lol

I was channel surfing and found that on the same channel another musical group followed...

Libera: Singing Christmas Music in Ireland... Beautiful sounds...

Note, just because I am not now a religious, I grew up with this music and still enjoy it...

Oh, WOW... Their rendition of "Danny Boy" was wonderful!!!

Forgot to mention that Libera is a boy's choir... Kinda of a good counterpoint to Celtic Woman...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.01.2015, 02:00 AM.

12.01.2015, 01:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Said The Sky's remix of Owl City's cute song "Fireflies"

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.01.2015, 04:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hang Massive - Once Again

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.02.2015, 02:24 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I was enjoying the instrumental intro to the "Fireflies" tune, but really didn't care for the vocals... Something struck me as off about them and I was enjoying it like I did the straight music.

I have never heard of a hang drum before, much less what they sounded like... It reminds me a little of the Jamaican style steel drum and I did like listening to the beat...

12.02.2015, 05:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The hang drum is a newly invented instrument and clearly takes its inspiration from Caribbean steel drums but it has a softer more melodic tone. If I close my eyes so I'm not distracted by the video I would guess it was a digital sound.

12.02.2015, 08:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Various violin and viola covers of varying songs.

12.02.2015, 10:28 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Mother 3 is a lovely game, you should all play it someday. It's an adventure filled with fun and feelings.

Shigesato Itoi, the creator of the Mother series, is the original voice for Tatsuo, Mei and Satsuki's father, and the man who wrote a few Ghibli film's slogans and catchphrases. He's an amazing man. His sensibility and love for music is also the reason why Mother has great soundtracks. That and the hardworking composers.

There are many references to real life music and The Beatles (Itoi was a big fan) as well.

About Itoi and Studio Ghibli: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/03/shi...-studio-ghibli/

12.02.2015, 11:02 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One of my close friends is literally addicted to Mother, he asks me for help at lunchtime. One of my other friends occasionally plays it.

12.03.2015, 08:07 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Such a late night feels kinda song ^^

12.05.2015, 05:00 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I kinda agree with you, fen...

12.05.2015, 11:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Simon and Garfunkel tunes

12.06.2015, 02:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I listened to a greatest hits CD of theirs recently and it got me so depressed! All their songs are about lost love or failures in society. When I was young I felt I could connect to the stories they were telling but now I'm older they seem to be saying such sad and obvious things. Of course Paul and Art were young and rebellious then too so I expect their current material reflects their age. I know Paul Simon has written some upbeat music in recent years.

12.06.2015, 04:54 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

12.06.2015, 05:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

As you all could probably tell from the music that I usually listen to, I generally prefer the 'oldies'. It reminds me of times from my past and I like to sing along with many of them.

Steppenwolf's 'Fire' could have caused me many a traffic ticket because when I heard it on my car radio (pre-CD) I would seem to press further on my accelerator and find myseld doing about 20 MPH or more over the limit (never in congestion). Not a smart thing to do but what the heck, I was young and, in my case, lucky in that I was never cited...

The cars I was usually driving at the time were either my '65 Mustang or my mothers '66 Dodge Charger with a 383 cu engine. I loved the sound of that car when it was accelerating

12.06.2015, 01:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Both very nice cars. My daughter would love to own (or get a chance behind the wheel of) either.

BTW, did you think this was the random thoughts thread Husky?

12.06.2015, 02:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  214  215  216  217  218  219  220  221  222  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks