QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  614  615  616  617  618  619  620  621  622  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Do any of you guys regularly read boys love manga? (or anime or visual novels) I'm doing a final project for one of my courses on BL but I'd like someone to talk to about it because most of the people I know who read it aren't really the types I think I can have a discussion on it with. ^^; I'm doing a critical analysis. I'm surprised with the amount of research on the subject but it's been really interesting.

03.16.2016, 05:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I THINK you might want to hit up Kaz for that

03.16.2016, 09:26 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't read manga much but I've watched several BL anime series. I'd be more than happy to help if I can. ^^

My Anime List

03.16.2016, 10:25 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I myself have read a number of manga including "Chobits", Yotsuba!", "Cross and Game", "Kare Kano", "Miki Falls", "Super Marionette J", "Train Man" to name a few that I still have...

Whether I can help you, I don't know, but I can try if you can tell me what you need or are looking for...

Hahaha, OOPS, just re-read that you're looking for BL stories and that I can't help you with, sorry...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.17.2016, 12:13 AM.

03.17.2016, 12:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HHHL: I got accepted into my first choice of university in Japan!! So happy!

My Anime List

03.17.2016, 02:17 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL husky. Thank you though. XD

And thanks, kaz. ^^ It's been really fun to research. I don't really watch anime and I haven't read much BL in years, although I'm still pretty familiar with what is still well known. There's a lot of queer theory involved that I'm not totally knowledgeable on. I went into it posing the question of whether or not BL is reflective of "straight" women's fantasies and found out that's a pretty common research question. I'm just focusing more on manga and doujinshi, and a bit on anime, VN, and CDS but I don't want to make the focus too big for me to handle. ^^

I found an article in relation to Kuroshitsuji and I kind of want to order it. lol This is the most fun I've had with a project for my courses that really relates to what we've been learning in class.

Also, congrats, Kaz! <3

03.17.2016, 02:23 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thank you! <3

There's a book I read a little while ago that might be useful to you if you can get ahold of it through your university library or something like that; it's called Male Homosexuality in Modern Japan (by Mark J McLelland). There is a whole chapter on BL manga. I found it a very interesting read.

My Anime List

03.17.2016, 02:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Thank you! <3

There's a book I read a little while ago that might be useful to you if you can get ahold of it through your university library or something like that; it's called Male Homosexuality in Modern Japan (by Mark J McLelland). There is a whole chapter on BL manga. I found it a very interesting read.

I think that article is in the book I ordered in! That name sounds familiar. My university doesn't offer more than a few articles on the subject. I think I'll order that one as well. ^^ Thank you.

03.17.2016, 04:07 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OMG! Congratulations Kaz. I am so happy for you. That is such lovely news. I bet you are dancing on the ceiling. When do you go out there?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.17.2016, 08:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Congratulations, Kaz... I'm so happy for you...

03.17.2016, 10:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks Saddles, Husky! I'm thrilled. I'll be going at the start of September.

My Anime List

03.18.2016, 12:34 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
By gosh, I've been a member of the Tavern for eight years now!!! Hard to believe that so much time has passed with my young friends...

03.18.2016, 03:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great!! Was that Wakayama?

03.18.2016, 11:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

My best friend is from Nagoya. So if I do get to go to Japan in the near future I will probably go there.

HL: Got a parcel from Japan today. My friend got me souvenirs from Takarazuka!! <3 I laughed so hard because she sent me a BL manga.

LL: I didn't get a job interview for something I applied for..

03.18.2016, 03:33 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

LL:
Rats!!! Doc said that I have to keep my drain in for another 2 weeks...Won't go into yucky details, but too much stuff still... Doc says it should seal up in 2 weeks, but if not then might have to go in again... sigh...

HL:
Other than that, I'm in good spirits...

03.19.2016, 01:42 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know I haven't posted in ages, and I'm sorry for that, but something happened today that I feel like only you guys will really understand the extent of.

So I moved out from home recently, but left behind a large portion of my stuff since I wasn't moving into my own place just yet and had nowhere to store it.

I found out this afternoon that my mum and gone ahead and sold literally all of my DVDs - including every single Studio Ghibli I'd collected over the years.

I honestly feel so heartbroken....I'm just been in floods of tears all afternoon. My precious collection, all gone.

03.20.2016, 12:27 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What???????? Wow, I'm so sorry. That's not cool.

03.20.2016, 12:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

If your Mom knew about your passion for Ghibli, and how couldn't she, that is totally heartless, NC, totally...

I am so sorry for your loss...

I'm sad that your Mum felt that she had to do that...

03.20.2016, 04:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

aww that sucks! I would be pretty upset too if my mom threw away my posters and badtz maru collection...

03.20.2016, 05:35 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh my... words can't describe. What was she thinking? Do you and she not get on? Was this some kind of crazy act of spite? I just don't get it at all. Why wouldn't she phone you first to ask...?

I feel terrible about this. I can only send out lots of virtual hugs.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.20.2016, 07:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  614  615  616  617  618  619  620  621  622  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks