QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  524  525  526  527  528  529  530  531  532  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aw, thank you everyone. I'm so, so happy and relieved. *hugs you all*

@ arren: Well, after several rejections from other places I've now been accepted by the University of Central Lancashire to do Asia Pacific Studies. Means a year in Japan for me So maybe I'll be paying a visit to the Ghibli Museum myself in a couple of years' time. Glad to hear it's as great as we imagine.

My Anime List

03.19.2014, 10:21 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
YAAAAAAAAY!

Fantastic news!

Ah, I bet you are SOOO happy! Well done!

Now, Saddles, whatever made you think that he might be a little bit happy over getting into a Univ??? lol

Congratulations, Kaz.... YAY for you...

And, you know what? Maybe it was a damn good thing that you didn't get into one of the other choices, even tho it made you feel bad.

You're going to Japan!!! To see the Ghibli Museum!!!

(sigh, another one to hate, Saddles lol)

At this rate, I'll be the only one in the Tavern not to have visited the Museum... big sigh!

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.20.2014, 12:31 AM.

03.20.2014, 12:30 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Kaz' new avatar. Very cool.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.20.2014, 06:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's great news Kaz! Do you start this year?

03.21.2014, 12:07 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ Husky: Thank you! Haha, nooo, don't hate me. XD

@ Saddles: Thank you, made it myself. There's a surprising lack of Kamijo avatars on the internet. That I could find, anyway...

@ arren: Yes, I'll be starting in September. So excited! After a little consideration I think I'll transfer to their Modern Languages course and do Japanese with Chinese; Asia Pacific Studies has a lot of emphasis on politics and economics and is a bit more general, I'd rather do something with more focus on the languages themselves, and the culture. Shouldn't be any problems doing that, and I'll get the year abroad either way.

My Anime List

03.21.2014, 12:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That would be great. You should try and meet up so Tavern members can converse in Japanese.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.22.2014, 01:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Changing course sounds like a good idea. If you want to do something using the language, that should definitely be the primary focus, while the other things can be picked up through smaller courses.

Lowlight: back in Kyoto after being on a night bus (ughhh). I also saw my girlfriend off at the airport yesterday so I am kinda sad.

03.23.2014, 08:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Impossible deadlines.

Yeah.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.24.2014, 08:23 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
LL: Impossible deadlines.

Yeah.

*hugs roar*
*feels the pain*
*adds impossible to work with people to the mix*
*disappears for the week*

03.24.2014, 11:39 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hugs from the supreme overlord! Yay!!!

Also, my part is finally finished after a mad scramble today. After this, I will so find out what exactly the new building regulations that will kick in next month that got all the architects scrambling. Apparently the changes are pretty major.

By the way...

Today I learned that if you bang your knee really hard, it will cause a temporary hearing impairment. Also, ouch.

But I'll be watching The Wind Rises on Thursday with my friend, so all's good.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.25.2014, 09:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Last Sunday i went to see Kyary, she was beyond amazing!!!

In other news, lately because of our conservative government we have had a lot of cutbacks including to our education, despite the fact the government is spending a lot of money unnecessarily on other things.
Today i went on a protest from my uni to the city.

03.26.2014, 12:18 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: went and had sushi for lunch with dorm-mates after getting this semester's placement test out of the way. The test wasn't so bad either, but I was pretty tired this morning and not as ready as I might've liked...

03.26.2014, 03:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: I'm not doing so well in school..

Not sure what's wrong.. I'm doing wonderfully on writing for courses, but tests... I'm bombing tests. I don't know what to do if I talk to my profs because I'm not sure they can help me with this. All in all, I should not be bombing them as badly as I have lately. My friend got upset when she realized I did badly on something and hid it. Even my prof seemed unsure whether to hand it back to me or not.. because he knows I'm there every class taking notes.

It's just hard. Finding interest in school is difficult. Although I find my boyfriend has helped a lot recently. Not only is he helping me keep up with making sure housework is done and that I actually eat food instead of skipping meals, but he's also let me rediscover why I like writing and English so much. But I still don't feel I'm in the right field for me.

Because I'm so far in debt now and only have thus far realized what I'd really prefer studying, I don't know what to do. I mean, I could always finish this degree and go out teaching and pay off most of my debts and go back to school. I really enjoy gender studies and anthropology and want to combine the two. If I really continue liking it, I hope to pursue even as far as a Ph.D in it. But yeah, simple dreams... expensive dreams. I just see myself being able to do so much more with that degree.

03.26.2014, 01:15 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
found an oil leak under my van on Wednesday, took it back into the shop and found that they hadn't tightened the oil filter when they finished their work. YAY!

And, as a mechanic in my working days, I don't find too much fault with a loose oil filter. So much to do while working on an engine, sometimes you just miss doing something. Not good, but we're all human...

03.28.2014, 11:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

@FFF: As the old saying goes, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Also, dreams are all good and fine, but it won't fill your tummy. Just keep that in mind and be practical. I've worked a fair number of menial work (and we don't have a minimum wage in Singapore) before I got to where I am now, so don't ever let anyone, including yourself, tell you that you're above any job, no matter how bad it seems like.

I can't advise you on anything past that though, because the situation in a big country like Canada is worlds apart from tiny Singapore.

HL: Chocolate milkshake, OMG tastes so good. My one indulgance on my bday since I forgot to buy a ghibli DVD this year, although I watched Kaze Tachinu and Nausicaa in the Cinema, so it's all good.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.29.2014, 01:12 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

@FFF I have to agree with Roar. It was my fondest wish to be a cop, but circumstances did not allow me my wish fulfillment. First, I was too short to apply (by about 1 inch) Then later when the height requirement was waived for all, I already had a family to support. I did work security, but that is not the same thing, usually a low paying job unless you can get in on a corporate in-house position.

I was accepted for Border Patrol, but had to turn it down. A wife and newborn baby was not the time to leave for a month and a half training with my first paycheck not coming for a month. Later on, after driving school buses and learning a mechanics trade thru hands on experience I became the lead mech at the bus company and that eased me into a Calif Highway Patrol position and a heavy equipment inspector. I quit after nine yrs to try and go into business for myself, but that bombed out due to a mild recession that occurred shortly after. I worked various jobs after that, mainly just trying to pay the bills and feed the family.

Would I have changed anything? I don't know. If I had made it into the Sheriffs position that I first wanted just out of the Navy, I know things would have ben different, but how, I am not sure. I know that I would never have met my future wife and had the kids that I do. Even tho the same big city, I would have been unlikely to have any reason to meet her (she was a school bus passenger on one of my routes, 17). We married a few months after she turned 18.

Life is usually not an easy thing to do, but we mostly all get through it somehow, we just have to adjust our goals sometimes as we go along. Hang in there, sweetie...
=============================

@Roar...
hey, old so-and-so, How come you didn't say anything about the B-day??? What are you now? 35? 40?
regardless, hope you had a Happy Birthday and enjoyed the hell out of that chocolate milkshake...

03.29.2014, 02:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: The awesomeness of good friends.

03.29.2014, 07:56 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
HL: The awesomeness of good friends.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.29.2014, 10:48 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I SURVIVED ^_^

Like, with my sanity intact. Mostly. I feel the need to give an acceptance speech or something. That was the hardest thing I've done ever

03.30.2014, 03:05 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

WHAT did you survive?

And of course, we only have your word for it that the sanity is intact... Lay your proof upon us, O supreme overlord...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.30.2014, 03:32 PM.

03.30.2014, 03:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  524  525  526  527  528  529  530  531  532  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks