QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  559  560  561  562  563  564  565  566  567  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
LL: My flatmates were being so loud and annoying so late at night last night that security had to warn them several times and eventually threatened to call the police. :| And I didn't eat all night because they and some friends of theirs I'd never met were being all drunk and rowdy in the kitchen and I was too intimidated to go into that situation. I mean, don't get me wrong, my flatmates are decent enough people but last night just needs to not happen ever again.

Why not just eat out? Like, hang out until things die out? It didn't seem like you were part of the party.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.02.2014, 11:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This was all pretty late at night. Where was I going to go? I'd banked on them either going out or going to bed before 4AM... The second part's mainly my fault, I get that, I should have worked something out rather than hide in my room all night, it was mostly them being stupid and nearly having the police called that annoyed me most.

My Anime List

11.02.2014, 02:44 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to hear all that Kaz, young men are complete idiots, for the most part, especially in groups of more than 2.

LL: Where is NC? Haven't see her on here in ages. Hope she's okay.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.02.2014, 04:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Highlight: got one of the references for my JET application and the transcript from my year abroad! Also redid a group presentation that faced technical difficulties this time last week. A pretty good day!

Yay! I'm worried about getting references. My boyfriend has no problem getting great, thorough references but I'm always so quiet I don't know if anyone will write me one (particularly professors). I have tons of work related references and the group I volunteer for probably would. It's just the academic reference I'm worried about... I'm not doing so great in university and the profs for my departments are varied and might not do one for me.

Don't worry too much about being able to get one. I think if you ask a nice teacher they're not going to turn you down. The only issue is that you want to choose somebody you have a decent relationship with, so that they can write a more specific and therefore useful reference.

I've been trying to cultivate relationships with my profs, but English profs are so hard to get to really know. lol I might ask the prof who teaches the majority of my minor courses, but I don't know if she will be here next year as she isn't a full time staff member. She probably will be since they extended her contract by over a year, but she hasn't finished her doctorate studies so she might leave. :/ I might ask her in advance.

HL: I've been telling my friends about the storyline for my novel and they all seem to enjoy it. It took forever for me to finally get it right, or as right as I could. I just hope I'm able to convey my message as well as I possibly can. Trying to finish a book before graduation. I have contacts in the publishing industry too now thanks to my boyfriend who would be interested in the sort of material I want to publish.

LL: So much coursework and assignments... It would help if I was genuinely interested.

11.02.2014, 08:41 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

where is orphic?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.03.2014, 05:54 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL:
Went in again to get my knee braces again

And, again, no go. This time I was told that from the time I was measured for the braces, edema swelling in my legs made the measurements invalid.

Sooooo, now I have to get compression stockings proscribed and wear them for at least two months or so and then re-measured....

Then, a few weeks later, I should get the braces...

sigh...

HL:
Other than that, I had a nice day... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.04.2014, 08:50 PM.

11.04.2014, 08:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: burping up bile. Unexpected gastric attack.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

11.05.2014, 10:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Went and saw a Native American writer give a talk on his books yesterday. We got his signature. But I think my boyfriend was sad the author couldn't understand his accent (not that Malaysian accents are hard to understand but he talks super fast sometimes and pronounces things a bit differently).

Also realizing I love drinks with aloe vera in them.

LL: Sleeping 15 hours when I have so much stuff due. My body just can't handle this. :s But feeling a bit more refreshed now.

11.05.2014, 11:29 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Ah, sorry honey! I am alive and well, in fact I've been semi-regularly lurking, it's just I have a new laptop so I haven't been logged in. I didn't have a laptop for awhile there and after that I just got swamped by the craziness of being back at university.

All is well and good though ^^

FFF idk if you've already written that feminist paper but if not I probably can dig up a ton of good resources for you.

I can also suggest some other areas of interest you want to pursue.

It's almost amusingly obvious of Saviour to respond to a thesis on feminism by suggesting it's talked about in relation to men's role in feminism. Please don't take this harshly at all Saviour as I think a lot of guys would probably respond in the same way. It's just very typical of some men to often try and view something through the lens of it's relation to their own gender.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 11.05.2014, 08:00 PM.

11.05.2014, 07:57 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Yea I noticed that my region tend to speak rather fast compared to the west. I was reminded of it when speaking to husky. Maybe its the high-paced environment we live in.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

11.05.2014, 09:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I d-o-n-'-t t-h-i-n-k I t-a-l-k s-l-o-w a-t a-l-l... R-o-a-r

l-o-l

HL:
Got to speak with fen and Roar for a few minutes...

Yay!

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.05.2014, 11:37 PM.

11.05.2014, 11:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
quote:

Ah, sorry honey! I am alive and well, in fact I've been semi-regularly lurking, it's just I have a new laptop so I haven't been logged in. I didn't have a laptop for awhile there and after that I just got swamped by the craziness of being back at university.

All is well and good though ^^

FFF idk if you've already written that feminist paper but if not I probably can dig up a ton of good resources for you.

I can also suggest some other areas of interest you want to pursue.

It's almost amusingly obvious of Saviour to respond to a thesis on feminism by suggesting it's talked about in relation to men's role in feminism. Please don't take this harshly at all Saviour as I think a lot of guys would probably respond in the same way. It's just very typical of some men to often try and view something through the lens of it's relation to their own gender.

Yes, give me some resources, please! I have an idea, but I'm still working on it. The reason I was cool with Saviour's topic is that one of my areas of interest is in the perception of masculinity. I really love studying masculinity, especially the different kinds of masculinity in culture. I was thinking of doing something on the different but similar structures of masculinity in eastern and western culture in relation to how Asian men are presented in western media compared to in Asia. Or something along those lines. My boyfriend is doing a paper on how Asian men aren't usually seeked out in relationships based on the fact that they're Asian and the differences between how Asian men are perceived compared to Asian women (or I *think* that's his paper for a course, not entirely sure).

11.06.2014, 12:20 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: NC called me honey! *swoon*

Glad to hear you're doing fine!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.06.2014, 02:45 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Yes, give me some resources, please! I have an idea, but I'm still working on it. The reason I was cool with Saviour's topic is that one of my areas of interest is in the perception of masculinity. I really love studying masculinity, especially the different kinds of masculinity in culture. I was thinking of doing something on the different but similar structures of masculinity in eastern and western culture in relation to how Asian men are presented in western media compared to in Asia. Or something along those lines. My boyfriend is doing a paper on how Asian men aren't usually seeked out in relationships based on the fact that they're Asian and the differences between how Asian men are perceived compared to Asian women (or I *think* that's his paper for a course, not entirely sure).

Ah yeah, that can be really interesting I'm not sure I've come across a ton of stuff on the perception of Asian men in particular but I'll ask around and let you know if I come up with anything.

There's a lot of feminist stuff on the concept of 'toxic masculinity' in Western men is pretty interesting, and a term worth checking out if you haven't already.

////

Thank you Saddles

11.06.2014, 04:32 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I would be interested in the subject of 'toxic masculinity'. I have always felt that despite being male I have many female traits and female feelings (whatever that may be... but I just do). I've never been what I think of as a 'masculine' male and many typical male subjects, pastimes and habits hold no interest for me. Am I a girly guy? I am not sure. Maybe. So I'd be very interested in discussions of this kind.

Perhaps we could have a thread on it please?

11.06.2014, 05:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just to clarify about my recommendation, i asked fff to research about mutual help in feminist movement. Because i am not very sure what it(feminist movement) is about.

So if fff did a through research on the topic, i think some light would have been shed on the mutual interests and mutual involvements of male and female. Specially if the female leaders are interested in mutual involvements.

Because i believe it will be never possible for women to gain rights or equality(in their sense) without mutual understanding.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.07.2014, 02:34 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
just to clarify about my recommendation, i asked fff to research about mutual help in feminist movement. Because i am not very sure what it(feminist movement) is about.

So if fff did a through research on the topic, i think some light would have been shed on the mutual interests and mutual involvements of male and female. Specially if the female leaders are interested in mutual involvements.

Because i believe it will be never possible for women to gain rights or equality(in their sense) without mutual understanding.

Saviour, don't worry, as I said your suggestion wasn't ill-founded, I was just amused because it was a very typically male response.

There are large areas of debate within feminism on male involvement - is there such a thing as a male feminist? Would the term 'feminist ally' be more accurate? In which ways can men help without trying to dominate a discussion which might involve touchy topics like the rights of women's bodies? - It's very complicated but definitely interesting. In my mind though, true equality must of course be gained by all genders working together.

If you ever want to learn more about male involvement or anything like that, feel free to drop me a message.

11.07.2014, 12:44 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

My boyfriend is a feminist but calls himself a feminist ally because of a discussion he had with his class on whether or not guys could use the term feminist for themselves. To me, I don't totally care if a guy calls himself a feminist or feminist ally. lol He just sees that western feminism especially centres too much around what men want and that he is a feminist but the word belongs to women, so he calls himself an ally. This is his interpretation after talking with other feminists and how he perceives feminism.

LL: My friend broke up with her boyfriend after a year and I'm worried about her.

Also, I tried bringing up with a male friend how Asian people, particularly men are represented in movies and stuff. Then he started going on about how it's totally fine that they mostly are restricted to stereotypical roles, especially martial arts because he said that's important to their culture. My boyfriend was reading the messages and refused to comment because it would get him riled up. lol Anyhow, he wouldn't even let me try to get at the topic I was getting at without saying "Geez, you should chill, you're too full of hatred. Why don't you just ignore this stuff?"

My boyfriend says this is called tone policing. We were talking about a book where the main character is half Korean but how... negatively he is portrayed and how the story sucks overall. lol We were on a blog where a woman was taking apart the story because she was "angry" over the representation of Asian characters and the blatant casual racism in the storyline. I was mad when I took the book from my sister and started reading it too. lol Then someone pops in and says hey, maybe you should chill, and another brought up tone policing in regards to that comment. I didn't know what the phrase meant or that it existed until my boyfriend pointed out the comment. It's cool because I totally notice it now.

11.07.2014, 01:58 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

WHAT!

You mean all Asians aren't black++++ belted martial artists??? I totally believed that they frequently flew through the air while defeating the bad guys... That was why I didn't take up any martial arts training, because I knew that with my Caucasian build, I was just too bone heavy to fly through the air with the greatest of ease...

Really, tho, I did take some lessons in Aikido while in Japan. The best that I took from it in the short time that I had with it was learning to fall and being able to relax when confronting someone when I worked security. I will say, that with my limited experience, it didn't always work for me, but it helped.

Watching a true Aikido master is beautiful to see. At least when it is being done without all the orchestrated throwing movements that are done to impress audiences. It is an art of using the opponents force against him. It works, too. The basic stance is a relaxed, open-handed and balanced position. Once learned, the reactions are aimed at whatever force is coming at you, from whatever direction and re-directing it in another direction. I never became adept at it, but I did learn some things. If you yourself anger or tense up, it is self-defeating and you lose your advantage.

11.07.2014, 03:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha husky. The sad thing was I didn't even bring up the "all Asians are martial artists" trope, he did. And he didn't see anything wrong with that and thought it was completely fine and that it should be expected if Hollywood movies only star white people. I forget his reasons because at this point I was just ticked that he didn't even let me speak on the subject without shooting me down. lol

He recently got engaged to a girl who happens to be Asian. I had asked him last month if he'd experienced any issues with interracial dating since I don't think white guys usually do (like people staring, making comments, etc.). He said no and that I should just ignore it if it happens to me and asked what the big deal was. Lol seriously...

HL: I got two tubs of Haagen-Dazs ice cream for 10$. Sadly almost devoured one completely. Also found a really great new Korean drama to take my mind of things.

LL: My dear aunt is very ill and may not make it past tonight or this weekend. I'm deeply saddened by this and don't know how to let it not affect me.

But it does.

Consoling a friend whose boyfriend broke up with her this morning too. I hope I'm doing good at that too.

Thinking I'll order a t-shirt from a non-profit I follow so I have something to look forward to before my NYC trip.

11.07.2014, 11:50 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  559  560  561  562  563  564  565  566  567  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks