QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  571  572  573  574  575  576  577  578  579  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What is an oyster card? I've never heard of them before...

03.05.2015, 12:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its a pre-pay card used to pay for bus journeys in London. Been a while since I worked in London but I had no idea Oyster cards were the only way to pay now.

I suppose there are good reasons for it - not handling cash cuts down on theft potential, it also helps with the language barrier as London is stuffed with tourists in the summer and it probably makes a big difference to bus running times, not having to deal with passengers looking for change all the time, especially on the busier tourist route stops like at the Tower of London, St Pauls, Picadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Museum-land in Kensington, etc.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.05.2015, 03:54 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I can understand that... remembers back to trying to figure out payment and change in Vietnam, Hong Kong and Japan. A little easier in Japan and Hong Kong, though. Thumbing thru the coins, though, yeah, that took time.

I don't understand the term 'oyster card' though why not just "pre-pay" card or "Red Card, Blue Card" etc???

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.05.2015, 12:12 PM.

03.05.2015, 12:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I've never understood the name... According to Wikipedia, this is the reason:

The Oyster name was agreed on after a lengthy period of research managed by TranSys and agreed by TfL. Several names were considered, and Oyster was chosen as a fresh approach that was not directly linked to transport, ticketing or London. According to Andrew McCrum, now of Appella brand name consultants, who was brought in to find a name by Saatchi and Saatchi Design (contracted by TranSys), Oyster was conceived and promoted because of the metaphorical implications of security and value in the component meanings of the hard bivalve shell and the concealed pearl, the association of London and the River Thames with oysters, and the well-known travel-related idiom "the world is your oyster".

Anyway, HIGHLIGHT: I submitted my dissertation! It is over!

03.05.2015, 01:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I've read it once, but I felt that I was distracted at the time, so I plan to re-read it at least twice more before I give my thoughts.

03.05.2015, 05:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah husky, you misunderstand me. You've seen an essay I did for one class, but now I'm finished with my dissertation, which is a much bigger deal! It's the biggest individual piece of work in my degree. And that means I'm almost done with the whole thing.

03.05.2015, 06:03 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A dissertation is like a thesis, right? I've rarely heard the term used here. Although good job on that!!

I'm not required to do one since I'm not doing honours. Regular students don't have to, but it depends which school you go to. My friends in Japan all have to do one like that I think.

Oh, looking it up the word dissertation is usually used for advanced studies whereas for undergrads and Master's we use thesis here.

03.05.2015, 08:34 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Oh, strange. It's pretty standard here. On the other hand, people rarely use "thesis" in my experience.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "honours". I thought that term wasn't used outside of the UK so I'm wondering if it's used differently.

03.05.2015, 08:57 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

/Ah, ha... I see... and unnerstand... ya gotta start using some American words that we's can unnerstan' over here...lol

03.05.2015, 09:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Put an application in on another place - yet another conversion above a stables on a very isolated farm. Not so cute as the previous one but much bigger, lots of storage, covered parking, in an amazing location atop a hill with the most incredible almost 360deg views... and cheaper!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.06.2015, 04:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Oh, strange. It's pretty standard here. On the other hand, people rarely use "thesis" in my experience.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "honours". I thought that term wasn't used outside of the UK so I'm wondering if it's used differently.

It's actually a term I didn't know existed until my second term in university here. It seems most grad schools require students to be Honours students now. Imagine the stress. lol

Basically it's probably what you're thinking. Honours students have a high GPA, but the marks only come from classes in their major. They have to maintain high marks and write a thesis in their fourth year. A lot, and I mean a lot, of students from my school do Honours. Which I find astounding. lol I could never. My best friend is doing Honours in Canadian studies. Some I know are doing it in Chemistry.

03.06.2015, 08:33 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got my honours without a thesis, and first class at that. Just put together a slipshod machine and half-baked report on it. Any wonder I ain't got no pride over it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.06.2015, 10:50 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha I don't think that would fly here. We do thesis papers where they have to do independent classes focusing on research. Not sure the length of these theses but they do them for the entirety of their final year. Some students don't have to do a thesis but that's a bit rare. They get out of it by doing other projects. I know one girl was able to write a novel as her honours project.

HL: I got Bs for the first time on some tests. Whoa, what happened?? I also got a B on a paper. What.

So far haven't failed anything yet!

LL: Getting sick.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 03.06.2015, 02:39 PM.

03.06.2015, 02:37 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Won a small bingo game last evening... Yay!

LL:
Came sooooooooo close a number of other times... lol

Scarylight:
Had the worst nightmare EVER! at least in recent memory... That's why I'm up now... To complicated to tell, but when I finally found someone to help me, that is when I woke enough to realize that it was only (only, he sez ) dream. I felt so relieved when I realized that!!!

03.10.2015, 04:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky: I should recommend this chapter by Junji Itou to you.

Long Dream

LL: Five of six companies I intended to visit today were either closed or shifted to a new address. Five out of six. What are the odds.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.10.2015, 07:23 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Job interview. Job interview, job interview, job interview.

I may no longer be completely broke during the school year!! (I kind of know I may get it because my friend who works there had talked to her boss about me, but it won't be until the fall).

03.10.2015, 12:56 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: New job! I start Monday.

03.12.2015, 07:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

WL: Basically was indirectly given a job offer yesterday?? To a place I never applied?? Although I'm totally willing to work there.

03.12.2015, 09:09 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Whoa!

Congrats to both of you, FFF and Saddles... I think

Job? Job? What the heck's a 'Job'?

Oh, yeah, one of those thingy's where you spend a lot of your free time and they give you money to pay bills!!!! I think...?

Lol...

What kinda work, FFF and Saddles?

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.12.2015, 09:46 AM.

03.12.2015, 09:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The one I have an interview for is a popular sandwich shop near my apartment. The place that may have offered me part-time employment for the summer is as a server at a Vietnamese restaurant.

What was funny was the woman didn't ask me directly but my boyfriend. lol When he went to pay she asked for my name and number and what year in school I was, and if I was possibly staying the summer and needed a job. He was confused but figured it was because I must have dropped my resume off there (nope) so he gave her the details anyhow and she said she'd likely give me a call soon.

What.

We're not sure why she didn't come and ask me directly. XD If she doesn't call soon, I'll go drop my resume off to her next week. We go there enough that the people know me and one of my friends works there as well. He's probably going back home for the summer so they must be looking for someone to fill his place. Still, whoa. The sandwich place probably can't hire me for the summer, but this one can until then.

03.12.2015, 04:14 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  571  572  573  574  575  576  577  578  579  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks