QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  569  570  571  572  573  574  575  576  577  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, oh well, its just a superstition!

I was cautious about this American thing of pouring maple syrup over bacon and eggs and such... but the combo of grilled meat and the sweet sauce was really intriguing. I think the closest experience like that I've had is some of the sweet Chinese dishes.

Now I'm wondering what maple syrup poured into a soft boiled egg or a soft fried egg yolk would be like. I always thought this kind of cuisine was culinary blasphemy but it works rather well - as long as you watch how much you eat!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.19.2015, 07:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I usually don't bother with the fortune cookies, myself.

That sounds good to eat, Saddles. Have to try it next week when I get a chance...

02.19.2015, 11:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Really great day yesterday full of great homemade food. I love farmer's markets and potlucks with friends.

One friend and I sat alone since the others were drinking and the smell of alcohol makes her nauseous so we went through my kimono collection since she was curious to what I owned. She never celebrated her coming of age ceremony in Japan so she never got to dress up in one fancily (except maybe as a child) but still really likes yukata. We talked about how her grandfather was not a very educated or wealthy man and how he used to roam the streets with the president and founder of the Kodansha company peddling off books and trying to sell them. He built up that huge company alongside the president to what it is today. Which I found really amazing.

LL: Racist comments people make about my relationship and don't really realize they're being really racist. My sister angrily texted me something her classmate asked her about me. She couldn't get over how the girl thought the question was at all appropriate. She's told off a lot of people back home when they make comments to her.

02.22.2015, 09:53 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: New job!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.23.2015, 04:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alright, Saddles, hope it works well for you...

02.23.2015, 05:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's great news, Saddles! Like Husky, hoping it works out.

My Anime List

02.23.2015, 06:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yay, Saddles! I'm currently looking for part time work to do on top of other smaller jobs I'm looking into.

HL: Super yummy food and meeting a mixed couple. The woman taught in a small city in Japan that I know people from. She was super surprised. haha A lot of students on exchanges come from there and I have a friend who used to live there and teaches in a nearby city, and another friend who lives nearby but goes to school there who's on exchange.

Also roomie might be moving there. But the woman recommended the place. She loved it. Her husband is from Japan.

I'm getting really used to people speaking in both English and Japanese in conversations. I don't know enough Japanese to fully understand, but the woman was speaking in Japanese about where she lived in Japan, and I heard her mention two places and then asked her about that city. lol My friend does the same since her husband is Japanese but she's not fluent in the language but can understand at least basic parts of conversation. My friends do the same when we're all together.

LL: Relationship issues. It's fine now, but was really hysterical last night.

02.24.2015, 10:20 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Skidded on the e-brake section and scraped my knee. Bad.

Those on fb would see how bad it is.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.24.2015, 11:30 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was bad. 8( I cringed.

HL: No Chinese class todayyy. |D

My Anime List

02.24.2015, 12:38 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I saw the picture. You ok??

HL: Well, today's significantly better. Boyfriend seems fine, getting chores done, and working on job applications. My professor is very willing to be a work reference, which makes me so happy. Now all I have to do is finish all the forms and take them to the office.

Also going to make supper tonight, just not sure what.

My student loan finally came in too!

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 02.24.2015, 01:26 PM.

02.24.2015, 01:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Ouch, take the advice of the guy about the dressings.

I don't comprehend about "e-brake section"??? I figure e-brake for emergency brake, but ...???

02.24.2015, 01:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Singaporeans are very fond of acronyms

I'm taking my bike license now and part of it is a circuit course. The emergency brake section requires you to brake on a wet surface within a set distance. Unfortunately, for the bike I used yesterday, the front brake grips hard and the rear grips weak, and on wet tarmac it's just disaster.

Also bruised my elbow and dismantled a shoe.

Also discovered a mosquito bite beside the scrap. Random discovery.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.24.2015, 07:27 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: For the past week or so I've been having really great conversations with the person upon whom I have an absolutely monumental crush. I've liked him since the first time we met in person back in August... I was so in awe of him, he's so elegant. He's handsome. He draws well, sings well, plays piano beautifully. He's also a massive anime fan. Loves Kamijo just as I do, loves the bishonen. :') We even chose exactly the same name for ourselves (he isn't trans, just wanted to change his name). He feels so, so far out my league but this past week has just been so encouraging... I don't want to get my hopes up though...

My Anime List

02.25.2015, 12:09 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I am happy for you, my friend and wish you the best...

02.25.2015, 03:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ah, that's lovely news.

Good luck. Play it cool.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.25.2015, 06:12 AM.

02.25.2015, 06:12 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ohh *hugs Kaz* exciting news. I hope it continues to go well for you

02.25.2015, 06:17 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thaaanks guys. <3

Oh my word. We're talking about going to Japan together next year. If I can get travel bursary from the university, that could actually happen. And he wants me to come see him when he moves to Edinburgh in the summer. That could definitely happen.

*fans self*

HL: ^ that and oh my good grief it's five days until I see Kamijo in concert. Gonna diiiiiieeeee.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 02.26.2015, 06:50 PM.

02.26.2015, 06:21 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

What's a travel bursary? Your school pays students to travel?? WHAT. THAT'S A THING? I don't even think bursaries exist at my school.

I'd want to go on exchange if it didn't cost 5000-15000$ more than I have to go. I've been nagging my best friend to figure out hers and she forgot that she has to tell them whether she'll accept the exchange to Japan. She still hasn't decided a major... I've been offering to talk to her about it, mainly since her parents were concerned and wanted me to. lol She wants to do Japanese studies.

I just dump reality checks on friends. No pressure or anything. >.>

<.<

HL: Went out with the exchange students. Got to see some giant horses.

02.26.2015, 08:02 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yeah, you can apply and get £550-£1100 towards travelling to pretty much anywhere in the world. ^^' If you can give the awards panel a good enough reason and have the trip well planned-out. It's quite competitive, naturally. Japan is obviously relevant to my studies and I've never been before; I'm sure that'll be advantageous when I apply. That's just the main bursary, there are other more specific ones... The Confucius Institute, for example, helps fund trips to China.

This university seems to put a lot of emphasis on traveling and language-learning; they encourage all students, regardless of their subject, to learn a language while studying there. I believe they have Rosetta Stone software that's free to use and other things like that.

My Anime List

02.26.2015, 08:33 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Do you know if he likes guys? Are there any signals being sent or does he just like to hang out with his cool Japan-ophile mate?

If its the former that's fantastic, if its the latter, well, its still great.

02.26.2015, 08:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  569  570  571  572  573  574  575  576  577  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks