QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Primer. Confusing time travel movie... like really confusing. And I don't think it's just me. But at the same time, good? I enjoy confusion a bit. Gives you something to talk about at least.

09.16.2013, 06:27 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Kotonoha no Niwa was awesome.

So pleased that you enjoyed it!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.16.2013, 11:01 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
BTW, Saviour -- Grave of the Fireflies is an interesting perspective too, if you're up for it.

saw that

======================

watched a lot of science fiction anime lately and also studied about a lot of high tech technologies[had to], well cant truly say i am not confused at all

1 Appleseed
2 Appleseed 2
3 vexille
4 summer wars
5 evangelion 1.11[it is the same thing with a little changes]
6 Afro samurai
7 afro samurai 2
8 some more cant remember

it was done

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.16.2013, 03:19 PM.

09.16.2013, 03:18 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Howl's Moving Castle recently with my roommate... and she liked it. She was disturbed that she liked it. lol

Really jelly my best friend got to see Kaze Tachinu before coming back to Canada. She really liked it a lot so now hopefully it doesn't take forever until I can see it. :/

09.29.2013, 06:00 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
my roommate... and she liked it. She was disturbed that she liked it. lol

Ha, ha. I love it when people who don't usually watch anime do and discover how enjoyable and good it is.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.29.2013, 07:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched Johnny English Reborn. Not nearly as good as the first one, but it had its moments.

My Anime List

09.29.2013, 08:29 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

TiMER, unexpectedly realistic and refreshing take on a very interesting concept idea - set in our world and time but there is a piece of technology available called a 'TiMER' which people can have installed into their wrist and which gives them a countdown to the number of years/months/weeks/days left until they meet their one true soulmate. The film surrounds the people choices make, whether that kind of technology actually benefits everybody, the effects such a thing can have on person's relationships when they may have to wait decades to meet their 'soulmate' and in the meantime struggle to fill that void with meaningful relationships.

Very touching and a little melancholic, with a very likeable cast.

09.29.2013, 09:26 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

re-watched "Summer Wars"...

10.06.2013, 04:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaze Tachinu

10.08.2013, 11:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

RAT!!!

What did you think of it???

10.08.2013, 05:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed it! The story seemed a bit aimless, and it could've done with not being so serious at times, but it was an interesting film. I found it surprisingly easy to follow, though everything about planes went completely over my head, and there were parts where even though I got the gist of what was happening, it didn't have the impact I think it would have if I'd understood more. It's hard to compare to Hayao's other films because it feels more like the other Ghibli directors, but I'm glad I saw it.

10.09.2013, 02:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went to see Gravity. Wasn't really sure what to expect with all the rave reviews, but I really quite enjoyed it. So engaging, even without much plot.

10.11.2013, 11:40 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just watched Frozen, the new Disney film and was...really, pleasantly surprised. It was fantastic, the music is the best I've heard in one of their films in years (sounds a little like Wicked, but perhaps I just think that because of the similar theme of sisterhood) and it contains some really witty dialogue and characters. Plus it contains some really brilliant and important messages for young girls.

All in all I would definitely suggest giving it a watch.

12.23.2013, 08:27 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was really upset about Frozen at first, as it seemed like they were butchering The Snow Queen, one of my favorite fairy tales and a surprisingly feminist work (the main plot is a girl on a quest to rescue a boy, plus essentially all the supporting characters are female). But I've heard really good things about it, and if I go in knowing it will be nothing like the original story, I might still be able to enjoy it.

12.24.2013, 12:16 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I remember there was a lot of beef in the lead up to it, at least partly because of the creators making very stupid public statements, but from what I've heard it's good. Still, I can't help being a bit put off by the wacky animal mascots (that's what they seem like at least)...

12.24.2013, 07:02 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

I'm just about to watch Back to the Future... which I've never seen before.

12.27.2013, 12:53 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm home from Japan for two weeks, and went to see Frozen with my family today. It's definitely the best Disney movie in a long while, much better than the recent Tangled (which I thought was alright, but nothing special). It might be the only Disney movie I have EVER seen where I could not predict the entire plot within the first ten minutes. It's not perfect, but the goofy sidekick antics were not as intrusive or as annoying as I thought they would be and the animation is beautiful. I'd recommend it.

12.28.2013, 12:56 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really loved Frozen. I've seen it twice. My mom wasn't overly impressed by it. She thought the love plot would be too much for kids, I guess? I was surprised because I thought for sure she would have loved it, but she didn't even talk about it after we watched the movie. I thought she would have liked the other aspects more but she seemed stuck on that one.

But anyhow, we took my really young cousins to see it and they were quiet as could be (normally very active) and were glued to the screen. They loved it a lot, especially for Olaf. haha

There's a woman I follow on various sites who looks a lot like Anna and her husband looks like Kristoff. lol Because of her I wanted to watch it.

01.10.2014, 01:40 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I also saw Frozen twice. And bought the soundtrack. o_O

I think I just have a huge crush on Elsa. Wish the movie had focused a bit more on her actually, since she's the most complex and interesting character. Am I crazy for thinking she might have been implied to be gay? Her arc struck me as a huge metaphor for coming out.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.10.2014, 10:29 PM.

01.10.2014, 06:51 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh maybe. o: I never considered it that way, but actually, that's quite interesting. I see it now too. If we talk about it in my gender studies class, someone might say the same thing. For me, she was the first character I've felt I could connect to in awhile (although I did with Anna too). Mainly with being so afraid and not knowing how to reach out.

It would have been nice, but I liked it focusing on Anna too. XD I loved Kristoff's character from the get-go before I watched the film. When he started singing the song about reindeer I lost it.

Am I the only one who really loves the Fixer Upper song?

01.10.2014, 09:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks