QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What Movie(s) did you watch today? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Been on a bit of a Charlie Kaufman endeavour lately so last night I watched Synecdoche, New York.

Whoof.

I think I still need time to process my thoughts and feelings on it. To call that 'just a film' would be like calling an encyclopaedia 'just a book'. The sheer depth and breadth of subject matter it attempts to encompass is astounding. The grand theme above it all is death itself, and alternatively life and how it is lived, and how each individual life is bigger and fuller than any of us can fully realise. Philip Seymour Hoffman gives the performance of his career I believe - no wonder Roger Ebert said if ever a film about his life would be made, he'd want PSH to play him.

I don't know that I could say I enjoyed it exactly, since as it descended deeper and deeper into Kaufman-esque surrealism it became more difficult to gain a footing. I think what you need to do with this film is from the very first moment of weirdness you have to just let go. Stop attempting to understand what is precisely going on, or make logical sense of it, but instead try and pick up on some of the grand messages it is sending out.

It is an epic. I've seen it described as the perfect desert island film, because it manages to be equal parts comedy/romance/tragedy etc. Apparently it came about when Kaufman and Spike Jonze were asked to make a 'horror' movie. Evidently, in Kaufman's eyes, nothing is more horrifying than the idea of a man so occupied with his own genius he lets his entire life flit before him.

I honestly don't know that I could promise somebody they'd like the film, in fact I think lots of people would hate it, but just wow. Kaufman is one of, if not the, most brilliant mind in cinema today.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 08.06.2014, 08:56 AM.

08.06.2014, 08:50 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
hunters moon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.15.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hunters moon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE,
PARTLY WRITTEN BY STEVEN SPIELBERG WHO WAS ALSO
THE DIRECTOR.
REGARDS J .

08.14.2014, 03:49 AM hunters moon is offline   Profile for hunters moon Add hunters moon to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen a few films lately, particularly because I've been on a number of long flights. I won't list them all, but they include:

the live-action Kiki's Delivery Service. It's cute and fun to watch but the story takes a different route from the Ghibli version, and the plot chosen for this one was kinda cheesy.

Hard Ticket to Hawaii, a terrible and therefore hilarious action B-movie. If you like campy and unintentionally funny 80s movies you'll probably enjoy it.

08.26.2014, 11:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Catfish.

So... clever, so strange, so disturbing. There's 3 TV series following this story all about similar incidents to others. Wow, there are some very disturbed people on the internet, and some ridiculously gullible and desperate ones too.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.26.2014, 02:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw another hilariously bad film a little while ago, a more notorious one - Troll 2. It really lived up to the hype! Everything about it was ridiculous and half-baked, and the dialogue was wonderfully awful. There's a documentary about it too, which was pretty interesting.

09.08.2014, 04:37 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wallace and Gromit: The Were-Rabbit...

09.13.2014, 09:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We took some of the Japanese exchange students to see The Maze Runner last night.

Ha... haha... Probably wasn't a good idea, the girls were laughing so nervously and were totally confused.

10.05.2014, 11:12 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw "Big Hero 6" today and I enjoyed it. Cgi by Pixar and Disney... Lots of action...

11.16.2014, 12:42 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

An oldie, "Gone to Texas' with Sam Elliot...

11.29.2014, 04:24 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kailee Brambani
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.05.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kailee Brambani Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The last movie I saw was The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I. The movie was awesome, Jennifer as usual did an awesome job of playing Katniss Everdeen. The whole cast was able to take it to the next level and I am so excited for the finale next year.

12.05.2014, 04:10 AM Kailee Brambani is offline   Profile for Kailee Brambani Add Kailee Brambani to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, Kailie Brambani, Looking forward to hearing more from you. We are an International bunch in here and enjoy meeting new people.. We all hope that you will like it here, Again, Welcome.

12.05.2014, 01:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Kailee - awesome forum name BTW!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.05.2014, 05:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yesterday I saw both From Up On Poppy Hill and The Wind Rises.

I loved them both, though at this first watching I definitely preferred The Wind Rises. I was a little unsure beforehand of how much I was going to enjoy it, and was very pleasantly surprised. I found it an interesting and beautiful film. It seems to me to be the most adult film to have come from Studio Ghibli, similar in some ways to Grave of the Fireflies, not just for its setting but its... tone, atmosphere, content. Mr Miyazaki can certainly be proud of his last film. I loved it. It was good too to see Goro Miyazaki having produced a much better film, in my opinion, than Tales From Earthsea.

My Anime List

01.05.2015, 02:37 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

So pleased you enjoyed them. Kaze Tachinu I think is a masterpiece and should have slaughtered 'Frozen' at the Oscars. That is did not tells us only how incompetent and conservative the Oscar judges are.

I have a special place in my heart for Poppy Hill; its a fairly outlandish and fantastical tale all told but the setting is perfect and the attention to detail makes this film a delight. The characters are so-so in quality and depth but I liked the humour as well and... what can I say... I'm a complete sucker for a sweet romance story, and this one twists and turns along perfectly, with great pacing and for that I can forgive the moments of unlikely co-incidence.

01.05.2015, 05:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the Rurouni Kenshin live action trilogy (well one movie and one 2-part sequel). I didn't know what to expect, but I think it was a pretty decent adaptation. The fight scenes were intense! They cast the whole movie really well - felt like I was seeing all the familiar faces from the manga/anime. And it was fun to see more of a consistent emphasis on Kaoru and Kenshin's relationship.

01.19.2015, 02:57 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Went to see "Strange Magic" tonight and there were only about 12 adults and 6 children attending. (It was a school night and I caught the 6:45 showing)

I did enjoy it and often sang along with the songs (softly usually)...

It was all CGI and used the songs of my era...At first it seemed kinda corny, but as I got into the movie and what was happening, I enjoyed it more. I was able to figure out what was going to happen in the end and I was generally correct.

One family had brought in 5 kids, aged abt 4-10 with i boy... I had engaged them all in a short discussion abt the movie and the girls loved it (of course, lol, it had fairies and love) The boy, abt 6?) his reaction was 'yuvk'... lol

01.30.2015, 02:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
awakewaver
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.07.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by awakewaver Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The last movie I saw was “American Sniper” a movie that is causing uproar recently. I can totally relate to this as I am a Navy wife. Soldiers don't always agree with the government or the wars but they do it to protect the ones they love and to give others a peaceful life which others always take for granted.

02.07.2015, 06:59 AM awakewaver is offline   Profile for awakewaver Add awakewaver to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone...

02.08.2015, 01:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched another Harry Potter last night. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

02.15.2015, 09:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched "Tales from Earthsea" for the second time yesterday having received the DVD from Santa. I first watched it at a Cambridge arts festival when it was released.

I was underwhelmed by it in Cambridge and I was even more unimpressed yesterday. The story is full of loopholes, unexplained events, weird character mood changes, illogical societies, very simple and 2-dimensional good/bad characters, an un-Ghibli female lead whose character is cluttered with western anti-feminist weaknesses and weak artwork.

I remember reading that Miyazaki walked out of the staff screening of the movies first showing part way through and I understand why. Ghibli's weakest offering by far.

I also watched "Eve no Jikan" again for about the 10th time (another gift from Santa) and this amazing movie never fails to impress and delight me. Everything about it is wonderful.

It's an "I, Robot" story with the twist that its the humans who learn and develop. I've reviewed it before on the Tavern and the animation and camerawork alone are worth the cost of the Blu-Ray. Beautiful work. Writer and director Yasuhiro Yoshiura deserves to be better known. He made the 25 minute OVA "Pale Cocoon" in 2004 which was stunning as well, and more recently "Patema Inverted" which I haven't seen but screen shots of it look stunning too.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.15.2015, 09:40 AM.

02.15.2015, 09:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks