QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli quotes.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Ghibli quotes. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...    »  ]
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:
Originally posted by Arkadian

Actually I don't think they are husband and wife... After all the boys call him "uncle".

They are. Because at the room where they were playing chess the man told dola that sheta reminded him about dola of that age. Now you do not tell someone something like that if there is no relationship.

I really don't think so... My version is official in Japanese with subtitles (don't know who worked on them, but I can find out. I know there is more than one version) and although I speak no Japanese, I do recognize the word "Oto-San" when I hear it and the "husband" is not addressed as such by one of the boys when he takes Pazu to work with him when they first arrived on the Tiger Moth.

Besides Pazu and Sheeta call Dola Auntie and the people who did the subtitles seem to have got this one right, so there is no reason to suspect they got the other one wrong.

Anybody who speaks Japanese out there?

07.12.2012, 04:22 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually I don't think they are husband and wife... After all the boys call him "uncle".

They are. Because at the room where they were playing chess the man told dola that sheta reminded him about dola of that age. Now you do not tell someone something like that if there is no relationship.

I really don't think so... My version is official in Japanese with subtitles (don't know who worked on them, but I can find out. I know there is more than one version) and although I speak no Japanese, I do recognize the word "Oto-San" when I hear it and the "husband" is not addressed as such by one of the boys when he takes Pazu to work with him when they first arrived on the Tiger Moth.

Besides Pazu and Sheeta call Dola Auntie and the people who did the subtitles seem to have got this one right, so there is no reason to suspect they got the other one wrong.

Anybody who speaks Japanese out there?

Now something is really confusing about this movie.

Now in english unless you are asian you do not call except your own uncle and aunt ,uncle and aunt. they call them by their name. that is why they call their teachers by their name too. so in my version of the movie patsu and sheta call dola by dola. But whoever have done your subs have missed this point.

Still father and uncle is a mile apart. this is a serious mistake .

Roar and husky please put some light by translating the original japanese.

update:there are atleast five official versions (let alone fan subs). not all of them were made in english speaking country. so even if your video is original japanese you can not believe the subs.

arkadian please can you give additional info about your one.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.13.2012, 05:34 AM.

07.13.2012, 02:54 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Arkadian
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just checked. It says Buena Vista, i.e. Disney.

07.13.2012, 06:13 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

And it does not have the dub?

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

07.13.2012, 10:05 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Since no one else has, I will post another GHIBLI QUOTE, which this thread is all about...

"So I won't be in trouble until much later"

07.13.2012, 01:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Arkadian
Calcifer

quote:
quote:

And it does not have the dub?

No, only the original Japanese

07.13.2012, 03:39 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Since no one else has, I will post another GHIBLI QUOTE, which this thread is all about...

kikis delivery. yes?

07.13.2012, 03:40 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Arkadian
Calcifer

quote:

At this moment in time, no idea...

07.13.2012, 04:25 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, saviour, but no, not Kiki...

07.14.2012, 02:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Arkadian
Calcifer

Wild guess... The Cat returns?

07.14.2012, 12:30 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Arkadian
Calcifer

quote:

Now something is really confusing about this movie.

Now in english unless you are asian you do not call except your own uncle and aunt ,uncle and aunt. they call them by their name. that is why they call their teachers by their name too. so in my version of the movie patsu and sheta call dola by dola. But whoever have done your subs have missed this point.

Still father and uncle is a mile apart. this is a serious mistake .

Roar and husky please put some light by translating the original japanese.

update:there are atleast five official versions (let alone fan subs). not all of them were made in english speaking country. so even if your video is original japanese you can not believe the subs.

arkadian please can you give additional info about your one.

OK, in the original it says "Oji-san" which I understand means "uncle".

07.14.2012, 12:41 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
husky51
The Old Guy

yes, that is the Japanese term for 'Uncle'...

So maybe Dola and Pops are brother and sister...

Don't know, don't really care. I've enjoyed the movie all this time without giving it much thought and I'm not going to let a little dispute over semantics or wordings take away from my future enjoyment of the movie...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.14.2012, 01:16 PM.

07.14.2012, 01:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Arkadian
Calcifer

quote:
yes, that is the Japanese term for 'Uncle'...

Don't know, don't really care. I've enjoyed the movie all this time without giving it much thought and I'm not going to let a little dispute over semantics or wordings take away from my future enjoyment of the movie...

Now, now... no need to get too uptight

07.15.2012, 11:36 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
husky51
The Old Guy

I'm sorry if I gave the idea that I was mad or anything. I'm not. Probably just a misuse of words on my part... I think that I was alluding to the fact that I enjoy the Ghibli movies and don't worry too much about small mistakes in the subbing very much.

--------------------------------------
topic:
No, not the Cat Returns...

clue:
There is at least one train in the movie...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.15.2012, 02:42 PM.

07.15.2012, 02:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

howls moving castle where sophie makes her hats?

07.16.2012, 05:48 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, I didnt post another quote after getting your one right husky, I have been so busy lately, hence why I haven't posted much! Although after this week is over I should have loads of free time to get back on top of all the postings round here, I have missed it on here so much!!

Anyway back on topic the only one I can think of with at least one train in it is HMC, if it is from there I could not tell you the scene!

Although, whilst writing this a thought has struck me that it could be only yesterday, as the main female character, whose name escapes me at the moment travels by train!

And I don't think it is spirited away when they get on the train, however I could be wrong, and I most likely am!!

07.16.2012, 05:57 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Saviour and Wiki, I am sorry to say that all of your suggestions are wrong, but one of you is closer than you think...

new clue tomor... Later today... (it's 3:20 am).

==============================

see correction below...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.16.2012, 11:51 AM.

07.16.2012, 06:19 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

whisper of the heart and spirited away has a train and in both this can be said. husky your one is dubbed or subbed.

07.16.2012, 07:49 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

NOTE:

I was wrong, Wiki, I am very sorry...

Yes, it is Only Yesterday...

You got it! For my error, I will give full credit to you for solving it.

It is actually just before the 'bath's' part of the film when a girl is going away on a summer trip and she says the quote about her grades.

=================
at 3am when I wrote that your answer was wrong, I was thinking about Ocean Waves for some reason, probably tiredness...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.16.2012, 05:51 PM.

07.16.2012, 11:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

If a quote isn't posted by tomorrow then I will post another...
-------------------------------------------------------------
It is now after 3pm, my time, so I will post a quote

"I can't live like this"

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.19.2012, 06:24 PM.

07.18.2012, 11:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks