QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  541  542  543  544  545  546  547  548  549  ...    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am just thinking if the Israelis do remember WWII.

I have been following this guys reporting for years, i think he is one of the few who understands and sympathizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fisk

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.15.2014, 06:19 AM.

07.15.2014, 06:12 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight: went to a part of Gion Matsuri today. There are many other events going on over the next few days, so I'll try to get to see some of those too, especially the main parade.

07.15.2014, 08:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: The air tragedy in the Ukraine. I can hardly describe how angry and upset this makes me. How can Putin sleep at night, knowing he authorised missile units be given to Ukranian seperatists and then not having them trained properly in their use?

How can a person fire a missle without knowing what aircraft it is he's shooting at while knowing that international flights are over that airspace?

What is going on in people's minds?

I hope against hope that this madness will stop soon. Perhaps this incident will make something sane happen.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.18.2014, 01:51 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
LL: The air tragedy in the Ukraine. I can hardly describe how angry and upset this makes me. How can Putin sleep at night, knowing he authorised missile units be given to Ukranian seperatists and then not having them trained properly in their use?

How can a person fire a missle without knowing what aircraft it is he's shooting at while knowing that international flights are over that airspace?

What is going on in people's minds?

I hope against hope that this madness will stop soon. Perhaps this incident will make something sane happen.

what about America and Britain giving their military technology and financial support to Israel.

Superpowers, they are all the same. It does not matter to them as long as it is not in the million digit.[human loss]

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.18.2014, 01:59 PM.

07.18.2014, 01:58 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As expected, a sensitive, sympathetic, non-confrontational response from our Official Forum Twat.

Saviour - unless you have something to post worth posting that isn't going to inflame situations - please don't post.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.18.2014, 02:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
As expected, a sensitive, sympathetic, non-confrontational response from our Official Forum Twat.

Saviour - unless you have something to post worth posting that isn't going to inflame situations - please don't post.

You know what, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't actually think Saviour was that wrong in making this link. I mean here in Britain, we have our prime minister pledging his support to Israel and referencing 'appalling' attacks carried out by Hamas, despite the fact that Hamas weapons are essentially little better than catapults and the IDF are bombing children and the disabled left right and centre. America pours over $3 billion of its taxpayers money annually into military aid for Israel, it is in fact (in my mind) far more disgusting on this front than Russia's actions here.

There are no 'good' superpowers - I really don't think there is. There are some which are better, some which are worse, but any country which is in a position to be a 'superpower' is always exploiting weaker countries to its benefit. By this I don't mean the average guy on the street but more the government's in charge. People are systematically kept in the dark by pro-Israeli news which is (thank god) finally failing to hide the fact that it is essentially a zionist, terrorist regime.

Why shouldn't Saviour point out how messed up that all is?

07.18.2014, 03:50 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

He took the subject and sent it in an inappropriate direction. Yes, what is happening in Gaza right now is terrible, but I'm not discussing Gaza.

Perhaps part of my is fuming with anger at the stupidity of some airlines not pathing their routes to avoid Ukraine airspace.

07.18.2014, 04:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
He took the subject and sent it in an inappropriate direction. Yes, what is happening in Gaza right now is terrible, but I'm not discussing Gaza.

Perhaps part of my is fuming with anger at the stupidity of some airlines not pathing their routes to avoid Ukraine airspace.

Ah, I sympathize with what your saying, but to make the leap from one superpower misbehaving to another isn't the worst conversational move.

It's understandable of course that your general anger would have made you react in that way. Especially because of course it is insensitive of Saviour to not give the severity of the Ukraine incident it's due respect, rather than feeling the need to compare it to another current global issue.

I just thought that your reaction was a little more angry than was perhaps deserved.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 07.18.2014, 04:23 PM.

07.18.2014, 04:22 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You know, my sister's in-law's relatives, four in a family, were on MH17. Juz sayin'.

Makes you wonder how angry you can actually get at something that doesn't directly involve you.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.18.2014, 11:39 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL:
My condolences to your family and your sister-in-laws family for their loss, Roar. Truly...
=================================

I don't think that the airline can be blamed for this loss as there had been no prior anti-aircraft action, at least as far as any that I have heard of, so it would seem to have been a safe route. NOW, however, a change of flight plans would be advisable...

EDIT: I now learn that in the last week, there were 2 instances of planes being fired at in the area.

Air lines have been accidently or purposely shot down in a number of cases over the years in many different areas.
=================================

As for the Israeli's and the Palestinian's conflict These two sides have not been able to come to a cessation of conflict between each other ever, and I don't see it happening until one side or another is totally destroyed... Each side is so certain of their rightness that they cannot come to an agreement of any lasting sort.

My opinion only and not up for debate.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.19.2014, 02:04 AM.

07.19.2014, 12:19 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour's point wasn't a bad one, but under the circumstances it was. Talking about some other issue as if it's the other person's fault personally belittles the importance of the original point. Obviously both of these things are terrible, but we were only talking about one of those things in the first place.

07.19.2014, 12:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
You know, my sister's in-law's relatives, four in a family, were on MH17. Juz sayin'.

Makes you wonder how angry you can actually get at something that doesn't directly involve you.

That's awful Roar my condolences!

I think in a world where thanks to news services we're daily bombarded with things like this it can easily become a little disconnected. I often worry I don't feel a genuine enough reaction to these things anymore, like I've been desensitised.

07.19.2014, 09:27 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I am so sorry to hear that Roar. There's nothing a person can say to help from this dstance, even really at any distance. I can only offer my sincerest sorrow and wishes that the relatives remain strong and get through this. To you personally I hope your anger doesn't drive your mind in negative directions.

On the other subject I view the Israel-Gaza Strip issue to be completely unlike what is happening in the Ukraine and the point of outside governments helping people kill each other more efficiently is not a consideration in the discussion due to the different historical case in Gaza, as Husky correctly pointed out.

I don't want a debate on it and won't say more, but I still feel Saviour was completely out of order. Again.

07.19.2014, 10:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Saddle practically what NC and arren said i agree with them.

And i am sorry for my lack of understanding of the mood of the situation.

definitely i absolutely did not like the Ukraine incident.

However my main problem in your post is you included Russia.otherwise i would never have replied.

That is basically a mark of your one sided thinking.

however i agree not doing a debate on this, comparing two bad incidents to find which one is worse than the other is the worst kind of debate.

07.19.2014, 12:33 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
quote:

That's awful Roar my condolences!

I think in a world where thanks to news services we're daily bombarded with things like this it can easily become a little disconnected. I often worry I don't feel a genuine enough reaction to these things anymore, like I've been desensitised.

i totally agree.

you know what you guys live in developed countries.

and i live where accidental death is quite common. I have seen some horrible pictures from Gaza and probably will see from Ukraine too. i feel the shock i feel the horror but cant feel the sadness.

after afganistan or twin tower incident the whole world has become a valley of death.

07.19.2014, 12:40 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Oh wow Roar. I didn't see your post before. That's such a terrible thing, and I hope your sister-in-law and her other family members will get through this okay.

07.20.2014, 12:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

I found it sad because people on my facebook didn't care about it (besides my boyfriend's friends and family, but none were directly affected by it that I know of). Might seem silly of me, but I really dislike the attitude of people from my hometown not caring about anything that happens outside of Canada, or even just my region.. I was in the car with my boss when we heard about it on the radio and we were both incredibly shocked.

Then again, I might react this way due to the fact so many of my friends are scattered around the world these days that any one of these tragedies might be associated with them. I'm also possibly moving to Malaysia someday which is another reason this affected me so much.

LL: I've been sick and frustrated. Also slightly nervous for my first time on a plane. Coming up so soon, so need to finish up my coursework and start prepping.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 07.20.2014, 01:16 PM.

07.20.2014, 01:14 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not much to be nervous about in flying, I've done it a number of times with no problems...

Be aware that you will hear a number of scary noises which are startling if you don't know about them. One is when the wing flaps are extended or retracted (I think that's what it is, been awhile, a relatively drawn-out sound that makes it sound like a piece of heavy equipment operating sometimes followed by a 'CLUNK', quite loud. mostly just before landing. Tell me about it when you've landed, ok...

After you're back on the ground, traveling along the runway, it will sound like the engines are revving up, but that is the reverse-thrusters slowing the plane down.

Basically, don't panic over every noise you hear... watch the other passengers, if they are not concerned, you needn't be...

07.20.2014, 02:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, husky. I'm just going in a small plane initially (I think, I'm from a really rural area and I don't imagine there's many large airplanes that go to the airport I'm leaving from initially, since most flights from there have to transfer in America or a bigger city in Canada). The plane is stopping in Montreal and then I'm getting on another one from there. I'm more nervous about transferring than I am of flying oddly. XD Although my boyfriend booked my flight for me to make it easier and said the Montreal airport is smaller than the airport I'm initially taking off from (I can't imagine it).

My parents seem nervous since I've never traveled alone before. But it'll be worth it. Just excited I can fly for the first time because most of my later flights are going to be ridiculously long..

07.20.2014, 02:06 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ben & Jerry's cookie dough ice cream.

07.20.2014, 02:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  541  542  543  544  545  546  547  548  549  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks