QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Favourite Ghibli Documentary?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Favourite Ghibli Documentary? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Favourite Ghibli Documentary?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have recently been watching all of these Studio Ghibli documentaries that have been fansubbed, such as Journey of the Heart, Ghibli: The Miyazaki Temple, The Ghibli Museum, the brilliant Yasuo Otsuka's Joy in Motion, and others. Have any of you guys seen these documentaries, and if so, which one is your favourite?

I personally liked Journey of the Heart. Seeing Miyazaki enjoying that plane ride was priceless. It was also quite interesting to see Takahata visit Canada and plant a tree. Of all the things to do in Canada, that simple act of planting a tree seemed so special.

08.05.2011, 11:01 AM  
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have never heard of these before... Please, tell us more and where can we see them?

08.05.2011, 11:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I have never heard of these before... Please, tell us more and where can we see them?

You can google for "Sekai Waga Kokoro no Tabi (The Journey of the Heart)".
I posted a little about it in my blog (in spanish).

It has two parts. First: Takahata visiting Canada, meeting Frederick Back, plating a tree, and visiting a place -sort of a town-museum- that shows the life as it was one century ago, a place that closely resembles the world of Anne of Green Gables). Second: Miyazaki in France and Africa, the places and travels of his beloved Saint-Exupery . It was nice to see him, moved by the evocation and enjoying the flying. He also says some very interesting (for me) things (a trascription here), it helps to understand better Porco Rosso, I think:

quote:
In «Wind, Sand and Stars» he left wonderful descriptions, of airplanes, weather, the sky itself...and the bond between pilots and people on the ground. I think it was an amazing achievement. It's completely different from «The Little Prince» I read it many times as a student.[...] Saint-Exupery made a journey of the spirit. He had this idyllic childhood. He lived when old Europe was disappearing. He discovered a kind of aristocracy in the world of the mail pilots. His friends were killed one after another. After that, life was like living in a termite colony. Finally he disappeared over the Mediterranean. I'm just another member of the colony, I guess. Someday the sands will swallow this building. It will happen to us too. But... that's all right.

It's quite a good documentary, as it's also the Ghibli Museum documentary, I enjoyed Goro Miyazaki (I didn't realized it was Hayao's son the first time) interviewing Takahata.

I also enjoyed several "Making of..." (Spirited Away, Only yesterday, Mononoke...).

And let's mention The story of Yanagawa channels, not related to Ghibli but done by Ghibli, I also enjoyed it.

Honestly, I couldn't choose one.

Post last edited by leonbloy on 08.05.2011, 12:15 PM.

08.05.2011, 11:59 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghibli, The Miyazaki Temple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdXhGAbUtw

The Making of Princess Mononoke (Low-Quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3LRn7EK...nel_video_title

The Making of Spirited Away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLmxKJjas0s

And one I forgot to mention, "Lasseter-san, arigato!", a documentary that is essentially John Lasseter of Pixar and Miyazaki-san hanging out. It's pretty awesome. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07HqAN4jwFM

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the others, but you can download them from various places if you do a quick Google search.

08.05.2011, 06:40 PM  
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favorite would have to be "Kazuo Oga, the one who painted Totoro's Forest". I just love how it focuses almost completely on the beautiful paintings which Oga has created, accompanied by some lovely and relaxing music. It feels sort of like attending an art exhibit. At the same time you get to see some different animation techniques, such as distorting the image to create a feeling of depth when the camera moves. There's also a magnificent clip of a bunch of backgrounds from Princess Mononoke, stacked next to each other on individual class sheets, which makes it look like a semi-3D forest. I just loved that!

Those other documentaries are great too, though, especially Joy in Motion.

08.12.2011, 07:33 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the making of only yesterday last night. It was really good. I didn't even realise all this time that it was a special feature on my dvd.

03.04.2012, 09:43 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I saw the making of only yesterday last night. It was really good. I didn't even realise all this time that it was a special feature on my dvd.

iv never seen videos of Takahata work, must have been very interesting...

03.05.2012, 08:30 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by captain george
quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale

iv never seen videos of Takahata work, must have been very interesting...

It showed a lot of Hayao in the making too. I learnt some interesting things from it though. Isao said that he likes to make funny movies but he wanted to be different from Hayao so he made movies like Only Yesterday and Graves.

Another thing that was interesting was that one of the drawers only drew the benibana flowers.

03.06.2012, 02:49 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks