QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli Animation Cels?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Studio Ghibli Animation Cels? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.13.20
  Studio Ghibli Animation Cels?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thisredtea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi all - I'm just getting into collecting animation cels and have some questions about Ghibli ones.

To my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong), there are two types - the silk-screen printed ones and the hand-painted ones. The silk-screen ones are out of 300, while the hand-painted ones are out of 100. Were they both sold at the Ghibli Museum? Were the originals used in the movies ever released?

So far, I've mainly seen them pop up on eBay or Japanese auction sites where it's more difficult to contact the seller to get more information on the items. Does anyone know a reputable seller/collector/site I can purchase from? Or tips to see if they are genuine?

If anyone here happens to be selling them as well, please let me know Any other information on the Ghibli cels or cel collecting in general is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

10.13.2020, 11:19 AM thisredtea is offline   Profile for thisredtea Add thisredtea to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm afraid I don't know much about this at all. But you mention the two types (silk screen and hand-painted) with numbers. Do you know where that information came from? If so I might be able to do a bit of sleuthing.

10.14.2020, 05:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
thisredtea
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thisredtea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I'm afraid I don't know much about this at all. But you mention the two types (silk screen and hand-painted) with numbers. Do you know where that information came from? If so I might be able to do a bit of sleuthing.

I actually got this info from another thread on here, but from a LONG time ago, when the cels were still being sold at the musem: https://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/thre...2057&page=1

10.14.2020, 10:50 AM thisredtea is offline   Profile for thisredtea Add thisredtea to your buddy list
Skovgaard
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.29.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Skovgaard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i got a hand painted cel at the museum in 2015, number 9 of 20, i didn't see any silk screen when I was there.

Post last edited by Skovgaard on 10.14.2020, 01:24 PM.

10.14.2020, 01:23 PM Skovgaard is offline   Profile for Skovgaard Add Skovgaard to your buddy list Send an Email to Skovgaard
thisredtea
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thisredtea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, that's gorgeous! I'm so jealous. I love that scene (and the entire movie). Were there other cels when you visited?

10.14.2020, 04:23 PM thisredtea is offline   Profile for thisredtea Add thisredtea to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow Skovgaard, you're really lucky! I'd love to have that.

My Anime List

10.14.2020, 05:21 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Beautiful scene, Skovgaard... I envy you...

And good to see you again...
Det er dejligt at se nogle af den gamle bande stadig rundt ...

And no, I don't speak Danish... I cheat, lol..

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.14.2020, 08:30 PM.

10.14.2020, 08:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Skovgaard
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.29.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Skovgaard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by thisredtea
Wow, that's gorgeous! I'm so jealous. I love that scene (and the entire movie). Were there other cels when you visited?

The one I got, was the only one in the gift shop that day, but I really like Castle in the sky, so it was fine for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Wow Skovgaard, you're really lucky! I'd love to have that.

Thank you, I would like to have more of them, but it's a long way to Japan.

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Beautiful scene, Skovgaard... I envy you...

And good to see you again...
Det er dejligt at se nogle af den gamle bande stadig rundt ...

And no, I don't speak Danish... I cheat, lol..

Thank you.

Google translate is very useful , and the translation is almost correct.

10.15.2020, 09:31 AM Skovgaard is offline   Profile for Skovgaard Add Skovgaard to your buddy list Send an Email to Skovgaard
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Skovgaard

Google translate is very useful , and the translation is almost correct.

hahaha, we try hard... Take care and Be Safe

10.15.2020, 11:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow Skovgaard, that's so cool! And thanks for showing up with your clear evidence when I didn't actually have any advice to give.

10.15.2020, 12:22 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what a awesome thing to have skovgard

(image takes from internet)

i think there is a plastic layer on top of your one as well like this

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.16.2020, 01:39 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Skovgaard
i got a hand painted cel at the museum in 2015, number 9 of 20, i didn't see any silk screen when I was there.

Wow, that's really cool, I would love to have one too

12.27.2020, 07:40 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
KaliAce
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KaliAce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

that's nice, lucky you

01.07.2021, 03:39 PM KaliAce is offline   Profile for KaliAce Add KaliAce to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

KaliAce, Welcome to the Tavern! Things are a bit slow right now, but once more Ghibli films are released, things will pick up, I believe...

Again, Welcome!

01.07.2021, 03:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks