QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Who would you like to see in future english dubs of Miyazaki or any Gh
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Who would you like to see in future english dubs of Miyazaki or any Gh » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.21.05
  Who would you like to see in future english dubs of Miyazaki or any GhPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mikeroach113 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some of the people I'd like to see are:

Ashton Kutcher
Will Smith
Harvey Keitel
Alfred Molina
Gerard Depardeau
Patrick Swayze
Hugh Jackman
Michelle Pfeiffer
Michael Douglas
Kevin Smith

Some other choices that I think would be interesting are:

Jeff Bridges
Alan Rickman
Jamie Foxx

Post last edited by mikeroach113 on 10.24.2005, 12:55 PM.

10.21.2005, 05:00 PM mikeroach113 is offline   Profile for mikeroach113 Add mikeroach113 to your buddy list
burgundyyears
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.03.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by burgundyyears Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think some of those voices are too slapstick, like the way Billy Crystal nearly ruined Howl's Moving Castle with the tone of his voice alone. In my opinion of course. I'd like to hear Morrissey do a character's voice, would never happen though.

Post last edited by burgundyyears on 10.28.2005, 09:43 AM.

10.28.2005, 09:43 AM burgundyyears is offline   Profile for burgundyyears Add burgundyyears to your buddy list Homepage of burgundyyears
arren
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.11.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would like to hear someone that I cannot recognize by the sound of their voice! I'm tired of celebrities voice acting just because they've realised that it's good marketing. harumph.

one day I tried to explain Spirited Away to Tess (who doesn't watch anime)...

Tess: but see that's just weird! I mean what would you think if your boyfriend suddenly turned into a dragon?

Me: (short pause) THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!

06.15.2006, 04:41 PM arren is offline   Profile for arren Add arren to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren
I would like to hear someone that I cannot recognize by the sound of their voice! I'm tired of celebrities voice acting just because they've realised that it's good marketing. harumph.

Ditto.

And so will have no specific preference, as long a the voices fit the characters and movie they voice.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.17.2006, 10:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I completely agree... just to slide off topic for a moment ~ The Series of Unfortuante Events movie. Lemony Snicket's voice in that was the worst casted voice I can remember.

So I agree, choose anyone who matches the character. Who would go to a film simply because a celebrity was playing one of the voices?? I suppose it does raise awarness...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.17.2006, 11:51 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mikeroach113
Some of the people I'd like to see are:

Ashton Kutcher
Will Smith
Harvey Keitel
Alfred Molina
Gerard Depardeau
Patrick Swayze
Hugh Jackman
Michelle Pfeiffer
Michael Douglas
Kevin Smith
Jeff Bridges
Alan Rickman
Jamie Foxx

I think if I knew the the voice and it was SUPER popular it might ruin the anime y'know? I know Shia LaBeouf, Patrick Stewart, Mark Hamill and Uma Therman and the rest of the cast for Nausicaa were really famous but did an awesome job for dubbing. Those voices were priceless!! If the people I hear are just too famous and kinda slack in their other movies I don't think I could listen to it the same. If Ashton Kutcher did a voice over I'd just think about him punking people and picking up chicks and whatever, same with Will Smith, I'd just imagine him hooking people up and talking smack to gangsters.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

Post last edited by shiawase on 06.18.2006, 02:11 AM.

06.18.2006, 02:10 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra So I agree, choose anyone who matches the character. Who would go to a film simply because a celebrity was playing one of the voices?? I suppose it does raise awarness...

A surprisingly large number of people would. Because an unsurprisingly large number of people are clueless about all things artistic.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.18.2006, 09:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Clint Eastwood
Sean Connery
(i think they both retired)

06.18.2006, 10:13 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nobody!! I hate English dubs (apart from Spirited Away, that had no stars in it), and I don't see why anyone would want to watch an obviously cut version of the script that always leaves out vital bits of info. I mean...take the Akira dubs for example, you don't have a clue what's going on half the time where Akira himself is concerned! It's only with the Japanese audio and subs that it all makes sense!
You always see these 'stars' saying on the special features "I'm so glad to be doing this dub, I'm such a fan of Miyazaki's work"! Rubbish!! They don't have a clue who he is, they're just there for the cash and any publicity they can squeeze out of it! BOOOOOOO TO DUBS!!

06.18.2006, 11:16 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Totoro35
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totoro35 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
Nobody!! I hate English dubs (apart from Spirited Away, that had no stars in it), and I don't see why anyone would want to watch an obviously cut version of the script that always leaves out vital bits of info. I mean...take the Akira dubs for example, you don't have a clue what's going on half the time where Akira himself is concerned! It's only with the Japanese audio and subs that it all makes sense!
You always see these 'stars' saying on the special features "I'm so glad to be doing this dub, I'm such a fan of Miyazaki's work"! Rubbish!! They don't have a clue who he is, they're just there for the cash and any publicity they can squeeze out of it! BOOOOOOO TO DUBS!!

The Spirited Away dub had alot of stars in it. Anyways, Studio Ghibli always approves the dub script, and any changes they want, get changed. So they obviously don't think it affects the story one bit. I always get the story perfectly with watching the dubs alone. Every single dub is different, just like every film is different. Also, the Japanese voice actors mainly perform for the money and publicity also.

Post last edited by Totoro35 on 06.18.2006, 12:38 PM.

06.18.2006, 12:32 PM Totoro35 is offline   Profile for Totoro35 Add Totoro35 to your buddy list Send an Email to Totoro35
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah they are only in it for the money and fame. It's sad.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

06.18.2006, 01:23 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i being tthinking about this thread for a while, dunno why, & got some more ideas

adam snadler
jakie chan
the voices of bart & homer simpson
owen willson
ice cube (he acts)
ice t (he's in a cop show)
van deisel
robert deniro (i think hes dead )

cheers

07.02.2006, 02:08 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
aviator
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aviator Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Totoro35
Anyways, Studio Ghibli always approves the dub script, and any changes they want, get changed. So they obviously don't think it affects the story one bit.

Really?! I've been reading on other threads that the dubed versions are many times different from the originals, I mean members who understand Japanese obviously would know!

By the way, I'd also like to see Sean Connery do something like master Yupa, that would be so perfect!!!

07.02.2006, 02:45 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Totoro35
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totoro35 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by aviator
quote:
Originally posted by Totoro35
Anyways, Studio Ghibli always approves the dub script, and any changes they want, get changed. So they obviously don't think it affects the story one bit.

Really?! I've been reading on other threads that the dubed versions are many times different from the originals, I mean members who understand Japanese obviously would know!

By the way, I'd also like to see Sean Connery do something like master Yupa, that would be so perfect!!!

Like I said, Ghibli approves the script that Disney comes up with and they think it's alright. The changes aren't that drastic for me and apparently Ghibli feels the same way.

Post last edited by Totoro35 on 07.02.2006, 01:45 PM.

07.02.2006, 11:45 AM Totoro35 is offline   Profile for Totoro35 Add Totoro35 to your buddy list Send an Email to Totoro35
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

quote:
[I] see Sean Connery do something like master Yupa, that would be so perfect!!!

^^^^^^^yea what i was thinkin

i would also like to add to my list of actors: eddie murphy
Chris Tucker (gotte get Chris Tucker, always funny)

cheers

07.02.2006, 09:19 PM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nobody!! I don't ever want to see another English Ghibli dub!!

But yeah, they probably wouldn't release Gedo Senki in Japanese...so...um...I thought all of the Mononoke and Spirited Away casts did a great job...So, some more of them would be O.K.

08.08.2006, 02:19 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

bring back Daveigh Chase she did Chihiro (sen) great justise in spirited away

08.08.2006, 07:04 AM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks