QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Anime Club Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Actually, Honey and Clover has two seasons, which makes a grand total of 48.

I already said it had two seasons, and the grand total is 38, not 48, like I said.....

(the first season has two extra episodes that weren't aired)...

Post last edited by Theowne on 08.09.2007, 09:15 AM.

08.09.2007, 09:15 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

honey and clover is a total of 38 episodes...26+12. And it is greatness in its purest form, but sure, it might be too long for now. We at least need more steady participation before commiting to anything long. (not that I'm one to talk really)

So something short...Here are some of my recommendations of short stuff I'd like to see I guess.

Paradise Kiss (12)
Haibane Renmei (13)
Suzumiya Haruhi's SOS Brigade (14)
Boogiepop Phantom (12)

Can't think of any other short ones. Everything else is long. (like 26 exactly)

But here are some suggestions for short series that I've already seen and loved.

FLCL (6)
Now and Then Here and There (13)
Serial Experiments Lain (13)
Ichigo Mashimaro (12)

Well, any bites? Other suggestions? Or shall we just try Honey and Clover (by all means ok by me) or Nodame Cantabile?

08.11.2007, 03:05 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Somehow I doubt Haruhi would be good material. That one takes reference from very obscure sources, particularly from the novels (I've read them so no biggy), and while I won't deny that it's great fun...

You know what, forget I said that. And just to show it I left what I typed to show I regret saying that.

Fooly Cooly is a VERY good series to start with. Unfortunately, the puns are very local, meaning you need to know japan and its culture as well as it's language to fully grasp every joke. Dunno bout the dubs, or official subs, but I doubt they'll cover much.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.11.2007, 11:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is that Haruhi any relation to "The Melancholy of..."? I would need to go and Wiki everything I've not heard of in case I didn't think I'd like it. I have a few favourites but I don't think they are suitable for the club (not enough linkage to the real world issues I think are important to discuss - which is why I didn't mention FLCL - I seem to have let that one go way over my head but even so it to me it's a closed world/story and isn't material to generate much general discussion.

Of course I could be wrong, I often am.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.11.2007, 11:59 AM.

08.11.2007, 11:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Then lets do Boogiepop Phantom. It's supposed to be extremely confusing and puzzle-like similar to Lain, except with less ambiguity. Everybody likes putting together big puzzles as a group, and it gives us plently of room to discuss and speculate along the way.

08.11.2007, 12:13 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, I feel pretty interested in this. Seen a few small series that I wouldn't mind watching again. Seiji covers a few...

08.14.2007, 11:47 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Boogiepop sounds good then, nice and short and a bit puzzley. Another bonus is I haven't seen it. Anyone object? Or want to suggest an alternative (within the length and genre constraints?)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.14.2007, 03:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fuji
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fuji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What is the current film, I'll watch it so I can join the discussion.

08.16.2007, 10:36 PM fuji is offline   Profile for fuji Add fuji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Never heard of it. Summary please?

I learned that titles are never a good way of judging anime (mostly). A recent title called School Days is said to have as much gore as Elfen Lied (haven't see it yet tho).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.16.2007, 11:30 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Would you be interested in taking part, Fizz?

Sorry for the late reply, I only pop in here once every so often. My current lifestyle doesn't leave much time for anime, but if you choose to do a series I've already seen (i.e Haibane, ParaKiss...etc.) I'll be glad to add my 2c whenever I get the chance.

08.19.2007, 04:46 AM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

From Wiki, don't worry, this post has been certified free of all spoilers.

quote:
Boogiepop Phantom (ブギーポップは笑わない Boogiepop Phantom, Bugīpoppu wa Warawanai Boogiepop Phantom?) is a twelve episode anime television series produced Madhouse Studios, based on the Boogiepop light novel series by Kouhei Kadono. The series is directed by Takashi Watanabe, from a screenplay by Sadayuki Murai, with original character designs by novel illustrator Kouji Ogata, and sound direction by Yota Tsuruoka.

The story takes place in an unnamed Japanese city, a month after a pillar of light appeared in the night sky and five years after a string of serial killings. Boogiepop Phantom follows an ensemble cast of characters, mostly high school students, who are witnesses to the incident and its consequences. At the time of the series, high school students have started to disappear again and the blame is placed on Boogiepop, an urban legend who is said to be the personification of Death.

Each episode centers on different characters who sometimes have just a short involvement in the major events of the series. For this reason, many scenes are seen twice, from different perspectives, and some episodes are out of sequence, although there is a slow general time progression. An unusual visual style is employed wherein, for all but the last episode, a much reduced colour palette is used in conjunction with a vignette effect. The sound design features many varied music genres from Gregorian to electronic, and even some sounds that appear to be unique to the show.[1] Through the non-linear style of the series, the characters are used to develop the central themes of the series: Change, Escapism, Memory, and Relationships.

Sounds good to me!

08.19.2007, 08:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
frigidchill
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What's going on with this then, is it still going?

09.02.2007, 06:33 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'd like to start, anyone got any objections to Boogiepop Phantom? It's on Veoh atm.

09.02.2007, 06:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds good. I was considering watching it anyway.

09.02.2007, 06:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO1
I was gonna say Haibane Renmei but Im down with the Boogie.
Down with the boogie.. eh?
get it?
hehe

09.02.2007, 07:29 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hahah. Nice.

Actually, that's also a good idea; I've seen the first episode and I liked it. Since Boogiepop is nice and short, perhaps we could watch Haibane Renmei afterwards?

09.02.2007, 07:32 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think one of the criteria is that the series be set in the real world, or at least deal with real world issues so we can expand the discussion to bring that aspect in. Haibane Renmei, while a great show (so I'm told) is set in a fantasy universe and that tends to limit discussion somewhat.

09.02.2007, 07:40 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
frigidchill
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I think one of the criteria is that the series be set in the real world, or at least deal with real world issues so we can expand the discussion to bring that aspect in. Haibane Renmei, while a great show (so I'm told) is set in a fantasy universe and that tends to limit discussion somewhat.

Meeeeehhhh. I don't agree with you on that. While trying not give anything away, the discussion would be on where the universe "fits in" with the real world.

09.02.2007, 07:49 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Haibane Renmei actually touches more on slice-of-life, actually

But sure, let's start. Will assume the whole series is up with english subs (and not Spanish).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.02.2007, 10:43 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
so.. wait..
just confirming.
we're doing boogiepop?
correct?
how many eps at a time?
3 a week?
Would last for a month.

09.02.2007, 05:35 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks