QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Neon Genesis Evangelion » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, i believe i read somewhere that the later episodes were shot with less frames/cells or whatever than in the first episodes. so i can see what galinax was doing but, i think they should have realized what kinda serie they had, and if tis 10 years later and still with diehard fans, then they were wrong in cutting funding. when the series is "re-shot" with the new films annouced, i bet there will be a great improvement.
anyways on eps 25 adn 26, i did think that they were out of the ordinaary, but so is the series, if taken in that sense the ending is par for the course, i havent seen the ending film yet, and i have it downlaoded so no spoilers please, but it didnt really have a wind down ending, it just stopped, since i stopped watching it after 26 for right now cause i want to see the movies just right to get the full effect i can pass judgement on the new ending. the series was maybe too psycologically invloved for the first go through, hopefully the new releases will inspire a new fan base.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

Post last edited by Miyrru on 12.05.2006, 04:28 PM.

12.05.2006, 04:28 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan hopefully the new releases will inspire a new fan base.

I don't think the old one ever went away

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.05.2006, 04:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

true enough, but i was rading on another anime board, and it was getting shelled.
people were saying that it had serious plot hole and they didnt like the characters, obviously its probably one of those either you like them or hate em animes. but those are probably just some people who didnt get it, cause as far as i am concerned it is one of the best series, top 5, in the last 10-15 years.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.05.2006, 04:47 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really EVA is all about the characters. In fact when you strip it right down it IS pure characters, and the great thing is they are all in fact the same person - they just hide their fears behind different behaviours.

I was stunned when I got to the end of EVA and worked out that all the main characters are different facets of Annos damaged ego, his damaged self-worth. To say I was impressed would be the understatement of the millenium.

I'm fairly new to anime but EVAs characterisation is the strongest I have yet come across. For something to beat this it would have to be mind blowingly good, and I've not yet heard of anything that is so my raw guess is that EVA is probably the finest TV anime series yet made.

Well, I'll qualify that - there is much better artwork around these days and better character design and probably better plot, but I've not come across better characterisation yet, nor all these elements in one package - good artwork is common but so are paper thin characters. Good characterisation is in short supply and it would take a team of geniuses to beat EVAs characters.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.05.2006, 06:04 PM.

12.05.2006, 06:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Right on the sopt, the first thing i saw was how they were all similar, and once i learned that it was a product of Anno's depression you can see the "3 faces of Anno", i never met the guy but it would have been interesting to talk to him about his characterization, and if he kinda cted like all three characters depending on the situation.
I would love to see a full blown sequal or contnuation, i didnt see the movie so im not sure if it would be possible, but the series seemed so short, it could have been easily lengthed to 2 seasons and still achieve the same end, but also not become watered down.

Click for Gallery^^

12.05.2006, 06:07 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
"3 faces of Anno"

I wasn't just talking about the 3 children, but Misato, Gendo and Ritsuko are all facets of a person hiding their feelings or hiding themselves so they won't be hurt.

12.05.2006, 08:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

True, i missed them, but pretty much all the characters are in there, you could make a case for Suzuhara, Fuyutsuki, Kaji, and Aida. i guess i simplified it by picking the obvious ones, but in realitiy nearly every characteris hding something or hiding feelings.

Click for Gallery^^

12.05.2006, 08:20 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

i know double posting is bad but...
I just finished watching end of evangelion and only one thing to say WOW...
that was the most serious and visceral trip i have ever seen, and probably the best ending ever. before i get flammed hear me out. the ride that Anno leads you on, prertty much puts you through his deep depressed state of mind and tears you thorugh it, this was psychology at its finest. i will probably have to see it again to grasp in everything but i cant say enough. if i was depressed this would put my mind at peace with everthign and everyone around me, synchronized with the universe's harmony.
the characterization is unbelieveable. i must declare everyone to WATCH THIS! i cant even describe most of what happens, it is almost a "watch it and determine for yourself what it means for you" type deal. im insanely pumped for the new released ending coming out, if it can top this, look out.

Click for Gallery^^

12.05.2006, 09:58 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yeah, its a very fine piece of work. I like it that GAINAX obviously pumped a lot of money into this and the animation quality shows. The different artwork used (for example) when Asuka knocks Shinji down and the coffee pot goes flying - the different character styles there are quite interesting, and there is an image of Asuka with her head down and her fringe hanging over her eyes and she looks up through her hair - that really gets to me, she looks so evil.

The scenes of the military slaughtering the NERV personnel were pretty grim though, got me quite upset. And Misato's end - possibly the finest and most noble death in anime history, what a gal!

Hmmm... and the Shinji masturbating scene, damn that really freaked me out, he's one screwed up guy.

The ending twenty minutes though are ones I need to watch again. Several times. Before I reckon I'm sure whats going on

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.07.2006, 03:12 PM.

12.06.2006, 02:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ew, now that I know the terms for that,
gross..(the Shinji bit..)
Yeah, the endings to shows, not to thrilled
with those. The part you want to happen doesn't happen..
I'll check this one out if I get the time, as of right
know I'm busy with Negima, Samurai Champloo,
and really trying hard to watch Tsubasa when I
get the chance.
Now I'm even missing a prom so I don't miss my shows.

12.06.2006, 04:56 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

fff, do please get to see EVA one day, it is just something every anime fan really should see.

12.06.2006, 06:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Ok, well i had a "revelation" of sorts over night, after watching the end of evangelion, i knew that i had seen something like that before, and i was right!, it was in my own head!
ok before people freak out, i consider myself a fairly depressed person, i had both my parents die within 2 years, when i was 11 and 13, so that really kinda affected me. for the next year my head was as useful as a bag of doorknobs, im ok now, but after watching that ending it made me realize the full effect of what i saw.
Anno has THE most perfect description of someone breaking out of a depression, im serious when i mean perfect, it was identical to what i went through which makes me realize the power of the medium. the thought process is identical. now, i didnt try to kill myself during my stage like Ano did, but im telling you from the bottom of my heartt, that this is the definitive psychological experience ive ever witnessed in anime, hats off Anno.

Click for Gallery^^

Post last edited by Miyrru on 12.06.2006, 08:23 PM.

12.06.2006, 08:21 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, Saddletank. Next time my mom askes,
I'll say yes.
Cool how that character fits you. I'm known
as a geek and populars who used to talk to
me ignore me now. Now even people bully me,
so I resort to anime to get away. But I'm more of a Shizuku
or Fai. Still, any anime to get me away from reality
and turn myself into the characters.

12.06.2006, 09:40 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Never knew bout that breaking out of depression thingy. Prolly cuz I saw it before my short spell of depression.

Anyway, Saddle's right. Back when I had just gotten into anime and was asking around for recommendations, more than a few people included EVA as one of the anime you MUST watch to qualify as an anime fan

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.07.2006, 08:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Ok, well i had a "revelation" of sorts over night, after watching the end of evangelion, i knew that i had seen something like that before, and i was right!, it was in my own head!
ok before people freak out, i consider myself a fairly depressed person, i had both my parents die within 2 years, when i was 11 and 13, so that really kinda affected me. for the next year my head was as useful as a bag of doorknobs, im ok now, but after watching that ending it made me realize the full effect of what i saw.
Anno has THE most perfect description of someone breaking out of a depression, im serious when i mean perfect, it was identical to what i went through which makes me realize the power of the medium. the thought process is identical. now, i didnt try to kill myself during my stage like Ano did, but im telling you from the bottom of my heartt, that this is the definitive psychological experience ive ever witnessed in anime, hats off Anno.

Thanks for sharing that, I really appreciate your honesty, that was probably quite hard to write. I consider myself completely priviledged in comparison to your life as mine has been nothing like that tough. 'Mildly annoying in places' probably describes my experiences in comparison to yours I find the End of Evangelion movie to be quite hard to decipher at the end probably because I find it hard to relate to, unlike you.

quote:
Anno has THE most perfect description of someone breaking out of a depression

Can you be more specific and say which scene(s) please?

I'm not trying to pry and I'm not hitting on you (can't for the life of me remember if you're a guy or a girl now) but if you do ever need to talk you can PM or e-mail me.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.07.2006, 03:20 PM.

12.07.2006, 03:18 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Im a guy, and dont worry im over, its not that hard to write anymore. i am mainly talking about when Shinji gets stuck into Unit 01 and they start going through his head, i have some school piling up and i plan to watch it again, and document all the parts.

Click for Gallery^^

12.07.2006, 06:16 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I might have to watch this series again. It seems a lot more intersting after reading all of these discussions.

#1sanfan, like Saddle said, I'm sorry to hear about what you had to go through. Sometimes we forget about how lucky we are. I can't imagine having to deal with something like that.

12.07.2006, 06:32 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
when Shinji gets stuck into Unit 01 and they start going through his head.

Yeah, I'm with you now, the unpleasant thing about that scene (or sequence of images) is that it goes on and on and on. And on. And I get the feeling that the 3 main NERV personnel left alive at that point (the 2 comms guys and the girl) are monitoring his state of mind and annoucing how much more damaged his ego is getting - but can't help him... that really gets to me, its like a psychiatrist who knows whats going on and wants to help the patient but the patient won't let him. It sets my nerves on edge just thinking about it.

12.07.2006, 06:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

thanks seiji, @Saddletank,

quote:
its like a psychiatrist who knows whats going on and wants to help the patient but the patient won't let him. It sets my nerves on edge just thinking about it.

that is without a doubt how things happen, now at the end of the sequence, shinji understands himself and he gets his ego back intact. that is what the mind is like, you kinda live on the edge, the part with the dreams was very ture, i have to see it again to proper analyze it as it is fairly complex, but anyways, the mind moves faster than we know and we make decisions and choices quickly and sometimes dont take things into account as you race through everything, this ending is more amazing when looking at these aspects because, this is what happens, this is your brain on depression, i wish i had people like Rei and Asuka in my head helping me srt things out.

Click for Gallery^^

12.07.2006, 06:58 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yeah, I make choices quickly without thinking,
as you can see by most of my postes. That would
be cool having people in your head, but It sorta like that
in my head anyway, with the 4 voices thing..
Plus, everyone thinks I need a pschiatrist or their
gonna leave me in the dust. But I do live mostly
in depression, without my optimistic look on.
That sorta relates to that character.

12.07.2006, 07:17 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks