QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Pom Poko
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Pom Poko » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Pom PokoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, what to say about Pom Poko... I watched it last night with my fiancee and it was really long!

Still it was a good movie. Worthy of the Ghibli brand. Also If you are looking closely during the Operation Goblin segment of the film you can see Totoro! I think the movie had an overall good message, the animation was great, and the story was unique.

That said, it was kind of confusing at some parts. I think the fact that the monologue through out the film is narrated by several different characters makes it confusing as to who is talking. For example the voice of the young tanuki will fade into the voice of the old tanuki and it makes me think is that the voice of the elder tanuki character or the young tanuki's voice at a later age, like he is reflecting.

There were also scenes that drag on way too long like when those two old men and discussing the goblins they used to see in their youth. It just goes on and on.

There is some other stuff that I noticed that bugged me, but I don't want to spoil the story or nothing.

Pom Poko- not the best, but still good. Check it out.

EDIT:
I also forgot to mention that though this movie is distributed in the US by Disney like most of Ghibli's films, Pon Poko may not be so much for children considering it deals with death, a light form of terrorism, and tanuki genitals (it is essential to how the tanukis do battle and lay traps, strange I know). Just a heads up for those of you who have young children.

Post last edited by Rossdude on 03.18.2011, 11:52 AM.

03.18.2011, 10:24 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you allso see kiki and porco, and i think you allso see the girl from only yesturday.

03.18.2011, 10:31 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw this movie for the first time just a few days ago, and I agree with your points on it. It's not the best or most satisfying but it's a welcome addition in Ghibli's filmography.

I remember seeing screencaps of the scene you mentioned where other Ghibli characters make cameos, but I didn't see any of them when I was watching (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough)? I'll have to find that scene again. =P

03.18.2011, 03:31 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that the biggest problem with this movie is that Takahata is so clearly out of his comfort zone. He's at his best with personal, realistic movies, like Grave of the fireflies and Only Yesterday. So when Takahata tries to do a Miyazaki-style movie, it works, but there's not that special Takahata touch. It could be directed by any good anime director. Pom Poko is a good movie, but leagues away from his realistic ones.

03.19.2011, 04:59 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It can be a confusing story for western viewers because there is so much of Japanese folklore, myth and legend in it, so much of what happens goes over western viewers heads and the point is not so strongly made as it would be to a Japanese or other oriental viewer.

It's nonetheless a superb film with a simply magnificent musical score and one of the most heartrending endings of any Ghibli. I cry my eyes out whenever I watch it.

In addition to some well known other Ghibli characters seen briefly in it I am certain that you see a much younger Mr Nishi and his two musician friends (from Whisper) in a crowd scene at the carnival. Remember Pom Poko is set in the same town - Tama - that Whisper is set in and the two films had overlapping production times.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.12.2011, 01:58 PM.

04.12.2011, 01:57 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
teto omega
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.22.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by teto omega Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think the spirituality in the characters that miyazaki makes is phenomenal and the attitude aswell is awsome he is no doubt the best film director ever

04.12.2011, 03:47 PM teto omega is offline   Profile for teto omega Add teto omega to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks