QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Shuna no tabi
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Shuna no tabi » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Shuna no tabiPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been looking for this early Miyazaki manga, which is said to be the inspiration to both Nausica and Mononoke hime, for ages and yesterday I found out that our local library has finally gotten a copy. I'm third in line waiting for it. The problem is that it's in japanese and I don't know japanese. Has anyone read it? Do you think you can just enjoy the illustrations (which I have heard are extreamly beautiful) even if you can't understand the text?

02.26.2011, 05:29 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's gorgeous! And not even that text heavy. It's very possible to just stare at the art and ignore the text. If you're not paying for it, definitely have a look!

02.26.2011, 08:08 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What is the manga called?

02.26.2011, 10:34 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Psssh maybe I should read the title to posts... Shuna no tabi, I'll be looking for it!!!

02.26.2011, 10:37 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's Journey of Shuna in english. And thanks for the advice fenkashi

02.26.2011, 02:00 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Heidi, check your pm box. ^^

02.26.2011, 04:33 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

off of topic, but that is a cute siggy, Heidi

02.28.2011, 11:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's actually been scanlated, so an english version exists somewhere online.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.01.2011, 10:25 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Shuna no Tabi is difficult to read in Japanese--even if you're Japanese. The type font in many places is too similar to the color background--especially white on yellow.

I don't see any connection between Shuna and either Nausicaa or Mononoke. However, it is definitely the source of a lot of material from Earthsea.

03.01.2011, 10:40 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
Shuna no Tabi is difficult to read in Japanese--even if you're Japanese. The type font in many places is too similar to the color background--especially white on yellow.

I don't see any connection between Shuna and either Nausicaa or Mononoke. However, it is definitely the source of a lot of material from Earthsea.

Hmm interesting...I've gotten my hands on an online translation of Shuna no tabi and found loads of similarities. With Nausica :Thea looked loads like Nausica and Shuna and Nausica had the same kind of gender ambilevance (Shuna as pretty girly, Nausica as pretty tomboyish). With Mononoke hime the similarities are more in the story. A young prince must leave his tribe to travel far to the west to save himself and his people. On his journey he meets an old priest, who tells him more about his fate. His fate seems to somehow lead him to a proud, wild girl, who's love he finally wins with love and understanding. And he has a mountain goat called Yakkuru.

03.02.2011, 12:26 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80
quote:

Hmm interesting...I've gotten my hands on an online translation of Shuna no tabi and found loads of similarities. With Nausica :Thea looked loads like Nausica and Shuna and Nausica had the same kind of gender ambilevance (Shuna as pretty girly, Nausica as pretty tomboyish). With Mononoke hime the similarities are more in the story. A young prince must leave his tribe to travel far to the west to save himself and his people. On his journey he meets an old priest, who tells him more about his fate. His fate seems to somehow lead him to a proud, wild girl, who's love he finally wins with love and understanding. And he has a mountain goat called Yakkuru.

I went back and checked my copy of Shuna and admit you have a point with Mononoke with regard to the story line. As for images, however, Miyazaki tends to copy and refine them over the years. The Yakkuru, as you mentioned is one--so is the Kitsune-Risu (Fox-squirrel) and the Susuwatari. However, the Shuna story couldn't have been a model for Nausicaa because the first appearance of Nausicaa in the manga (1982) predates Shuna (1983). The hair styles worn by Nausicaa and Te-a (the girl in Shuna) were trendy in Japan in the mid-to-late '70s. Because of his simple drawing style, most of Miyazaki's characters resemble several other characters in other stories and films.

03.03.2011, 02:26 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Heidi80
Ohmu

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80
quote:

I went back and checked my copy of Shuna and admit you have a point with Mononoke with regard to the story line. As for images, however, Miyazaki tends to copy and refine them over the years. The Yakkuru, as you mentioned is one--so is the Kitsune-Risu (Fox-squirrel) and the Susuwatari. However, the Shuna story couldn't have been a model for Nausicaa because the first appearance of Nausicaa in the manga (1982) predates Shuna (1983). The hair styles worn by Nausicaa and Te-a (the girl in Shuna) were trendy in Japan in the mid-to-late '70s. Because of his simple drawing style, most of Miyazaki's characters resemble several other characters in other stories and films.

oops my misstake. I just assumed that Shuna no tabi was older, but I checked nausicaa.net and it really is from 1983. You're right about Miyazaki reusing images but I stilll think that Shuna no tabi is really much like Nausica and Mononoke hime. So Nausica is a model for Shuna no tabi, which is a model for Mononoke hime. And all these three are models for Miyazaki Goro's Tales from earthsea. Confusing much?

03.11.2011, 12:33 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

So I finally got Shuna no tabi from the library and I'm really enjoying it, even if I'm just looking at the pictures (I can't read katakanas grr). The watercolour illustrations are simply gorgeous.

04.23.2011, 11:21 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks