QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Takahata Vs Miyazaki
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Takahata Vs Miyazaki » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  Takahata Vs MiyazakiPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry if the spelling is not correct...

Anyway, the question is: which one has made the best films? Which one is the best director? At the start I though that it would be an open and shut case... HM would win hands down, but now after seeing Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday and now Pom Poko I am not that sure... Next in the pipeline is My neighbors the Yamadas.
The only Takahata's film I didn't particularly like was Norse the prince something, but that was a very old one.
One thing for sure, all the Studio Ghibli films are fantastic.

06.24.2009, 10:12 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Although I am a huge fan of both I personally think Takahata is the better director.

I just love his objective and neo-realist style, his more personal and honest way of telling a story and the overall extreme attention to detail in his films. His works are very varied, covering everything from hilarious comedy (My Neighbours the Yamadas) to deep tragedy (Grave of the Fireflies). I also love how he uses animation in order to express the inner thoughts of his characters, thereby enhancing their personalities.

To date I have seen most of his work, from 'Horus: Prince of the Sun' to his short segment in the movie 'Winter Days', but I still hope to some day get my hands on the World Masterpiece Theater TV-series he has directed, namely 'Heidi' and '3000 Leagues in Search of Mother' (I have seen 'Anne of Green Gables' already, and it's just superb).

If I had to choose my personal favourite film by Takahata I'd say it's 'Only Yesterday'. That film is just fantastic, and never fails to move and impress me.

06.24.2009, 04:17 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Arkadian
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88
Although I am a huge fan of both I personally think Takahata is the better director.

I just love his objective and neo-realist style, his more personal and honest way of telling a story and the overall extreme attention to detail in his films. His works are very varied, covering everything from hilarious comedy (My Neighbours the Yamadas) to deep tragedy (Grave of the Fireflies). I also love how he uses animation in order to express the inner thoughts of his characters, thereby enhancing their personalities.

To date I have seen most of his work, from 'Horus: Prince of the Sun' to his short segment in the movie 'Winter Days', but I still hope to some day get my hands on the World Masterpiece Theater TV-series he has directed, namely 'Heidi'

Hi there,
gosh you should go on Italian TV, it is very popular over there. I saw it first when I was little (well, 10 or 12) some 30 years ago(!! ) and I think it has been repeated ever since

quote:

and '3000 Leagues in Search of Mother' (I have seen 'Anne of Green Gables' already, and it's just superb).

If I had to choose my personal favourite film by Takahata I'd say it's 'Only Yesterday'.

You go along with my wife, although she has quite a thing for GOTF (and so do you judging from your avatar)

quote:

That film is just fantastic, and never fails to move and impress me.

I have to say that HM seems to revolve around a similar theme (but I have not seen all of his films yet). Not saying that he is doing the same film over and over again, far from it, but Takahata seems to produce something completely different everytime.

A.

06.24.2009, 04:51 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They're incomparable. They have such completely different styles it's not really possible to say one is better than the other. For one, Miyazaki is a very hands-on director; he does a lot of the animation himself. Takahata doesn't do animation. So Miyazaki tends to be more preoccupied with the images themselves than Takahata, who is more focused on characters and human behavior.

They also have different influences. Takahata is into neo-realist cinema; he really likes trying to capture the details of everyday life. Miyazaki was originally more into pulp fantasy/adventure entertainment stuff, but I think Takahata has influenced him a lot and sort of drawn him away from that to an extent.

06.25.2009, 01:48 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd comment, but Orphic took the words right out of my mouth.

Personally though, I prefer Takahata. His movies have more to offer and appreciate due to its depth IMO.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.25.2009, 10:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
O-Jay88
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Arkadian
Hi there,

Hello
quote:
You go along with my wife, although she has quite a thing for GOTF (and so do you judging from your avatar)

Well, my avatar is actually Taku from 'The Ocean Waves', but yeah I do love 'Grave of the Fireflies' too .
quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
They're incomparable.

That's very true, since, as you said, their styles are so completely different and unique. But if I absolutely HAD to pick one of them, it would be Takahata.

06.25.2009, 10:42 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Arkadian
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88
quote:
Originally posted by Arkadian
Hi there,

Hello
quote:

Well, my avatar is actually Taku from 'The Ocean Waves', but yeah I do love 'Grave of the Fireflies' too .

Hhmmm, do not know that one at all... Just looked it up and it is by a different director. Anyway, not available in the UK till september (and I have reserved it).
In any case it is often difficult to distunguish one human from another. As we all know quite often they are very much alike...

06.25.2009, 11:11 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Arkadian
Calcifer

Sorry, mistakes

Post last edited by Arkadian on 06.25.2009, 11:12 AM.

06.25.2009, 11:12 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
O-Jay88
Warawara

'The Ocean Waves' (or 'I can hear the Sea') is a tv movie made by Studio Ghibli in 1993, directed by someone from outside the studio, whose name I can recall at the moment. If you like Takahata's movies you should definitely check it out, as it has the same realistic style.

06.25.2009, 11:40 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I prefer Miyazaki--slightly. As for 3000 leagues, it's available in other languages under the title "Marco." There's also an extremely condensed version of the story as a movie. Also, Miyazaki animated the TV series (but not the movie)

06.25.2009, 01:03 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I prefer Miyazaki, mainly because the main thing that draws me to Ghibli is escapism, and I think Miyazaki does this so well with films like Whisper / Porco / Laputa etc.

I still like Takahata's films, but they don't provoke the same emotions in me...just different ones.

Clicky

06.25.2009, 04:09 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Arkadian
Calcifer

YamadasPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi there,

I have seen this film (not amongst the most famous) and I have to say Takahata has managed to surprise me once more. It is so different from all the others and the fact that it is made of "short strips" allows you to watch it in bits or to to go over and over again some of your favourite bits without loss of continuity.
Whatever other people say, I recommend it.
Takahata's work doesn't seem to be terribly popular (well, let's face it, Oscar notwithstanding, even Miyazaki's films belong, at best, to a niche market, so what can you expect from Takahata's ), but I am quite sure in time he will get the acknowledgement he deserves. I hope it is going to be in his lifetime, after all Miyazaki has had at least a bit of recognition (outside Japan) thanks to Spirited away; it is high time I.T. had his.

07.19.2009, 06:56 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say that they are incomparable aswell, because the films that they make are so different.
I love both, but what I like about Miyazaki is his ability to teach you things via the movies. Every one of his films has given me something to take away and learn.

07.20.2009, 03:40 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favourite director is Hayao Miyazaki, but thats just my personal taste and I dont think he is a better director than Isao Takahata. It's just that Miyazaki's movies are more fantasy-based like some of you already mentioned, and personally I like to step into an other world and watch things that could never happen in real life, by watching a movie. So that's the main reason why I prefer Miyazaki.

Miyazaki's movies always have a good and fictive story with weird characters that lead you into the world of Ghibli. It are always warm movies that give you a reason to think about something. Although I think Goro did the same with Tales from Earthsea. The thing about your 'true name' let me think about it for days.
Miyazaki's movies Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Totoro captivated me and brought me into something very fantastic.

Grave of the Fireflies is a totally different movie, which is captivating as well, but very heavy and realistic. It's just different with Takahata. And then again, I'm not such a fan of Pom Poko..*runs fast before other tavern members hit me*

Post last edited by Kemi on 07.20.2009, 09:07 AM.

07.20.2009, 09:06 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
paku-chan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by paku-chan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The difference in style is quite evident, but I personally prefer, almost worship Takahata.

Toshio Suzuki once mentioned somewhere that Miyazaki gets his sense of social realism from Takahata, and that without him he would be a completely fantasy driven.

I really do think that Totoro is the most Takahata-esque Miyazaki film. Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday and Yamadas are all masterpieces to my mind and present a Ghibli much different than that of Miyazaki.

I am anxiously looking forward to Takahata's upcoming "Tale of the Bamboo-cutter".

07.24.2010, 07:18 AM paku-chan is offline   Profile for paku-chan Add paku-chan to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by paku-chan
I am anxiously looking forward to Takahata's upcoming "Tale of the Bamboo-cutter".

Same here. But... is that movie being produced, or has it been abandoned? I have not heard anything about it for a long time. Anybody has some news?

07.24.2010, 02:34 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kemi
And then again, I'm not such a fan of Pom Poko..*runs fast before other tavern members hit me*

I'm not a Pom Poko fan either...I mean really? Attacking people with your ballsack?

When I watched Pom Poko, it felt like a 4 hour long movie, which is strange because it's only 2 hours long.

I'm not saying it was a bad film...it just felt really long so it didn't keep my attention span as much as some of Takahata's other work. I really like Only Yesterday.

Pom Poko just didn't really do it for me..... *runs fast before other tavern members hit me*

Oh, and as for Takahata Vs Miyazaki, I don't prefer either one of them over the other. They're both genius in their own way.

Check out my music:

Post last edited by Tea Master Tall on 08.09.2010, 09:57 PM.

08.09.2010, 09:50 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You have to understand japanese folklore culture to understand Pom Poko. So it's perfectly understood how its meaning gets lost to most non-japanese.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.13.2010, 11:47 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
cellofortist
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.23.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by cellofortist Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Takahata definitely makes movies for adults or older children, whereas Miyazaki creates primarily for children.

08.24.2010, 03:48 PM cellofortist is offline   Profile for cellofortist Add cellofortist to your buddy list
emmadictionary
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.24.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by emmadictionary Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was watching this documentary on Studio Ghibli and it had a really good quote that I think pretty much summed up both their styels. "Takahata chooses to take a new ligh on things the audiance has seen before, while Miyazaki chooses to show the audience something they've never seen before." So I guess whether you like Miyazaki or Takhata better depends on what you like to see in the movies. Something known or something new. Personally, I like the new worlds and ideas Miyazaki creates.

03.15.2011, 02:55 PM emmadictionary is offline   Profile for emmadictionary Add emmadictionary to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks