QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Sub or Dub???
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Sub or Dub??? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
Batchi
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.18.08
  Sub or Dub???Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Batchi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi all.

Just wondering what the general consensus was on viewing Ghibli Films. Do you prefer watching with Subtitles or Dubbed? For those of us who cannot yet speak Japanese!

09.18.2008, 02:45 PM Batchi is offline   Profile for Batchi Add Batchi to your buddy list
ssj6gohan1989
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.18.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ssj6gohan1989 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like both. I always watch both the dubbed and subbed version. But as to which one is better I think It depends on which movie your watching. For example I like the Dubbed Howl's better, but I like the Subbed Wispers of the Heart better.

"When you are miserable, you need something that is even more miserable than you to feel good about yourself.”

09.18.2008, 03:10 PM ssj6gohan1989 is offline   Profile for ssj6gohan1989 Add ssj6gohan1989 to your buddy list Send an Email to ssj6gohan1989
kitsunejr
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.20.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kitsunejr Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to say dub because i havent seen sub ghibli films i can read subs but i just havent seen any ghibli ones in jappanese for sale which i dont have dubbed XP

09.18.2008, 03:17 PM kitsunejr is offline   Profile for kitsunejr Add kitsunejr to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like having both, and I love that people like Patrick Stewart, Christian Bale, Uma Thurman, Mark Hamill, Micheal Keaton, Lauren Bacall, Kirsten Dunst et al have been involved in Ghibli dubs because it raises interest and is great for publicity, but for me it's subtitles every time until I've seen it enough to just turn them off and know what's going on anyway.

One of the reasons I like Ghibli films is that they aren't like any Western films, and having an American voice over the top of it kind of spoils that aspect of it for me.

That said, the first Ghibli films I ever saw were all dubs and I still became obsessed from that. So it's not that I mind that much I guess, but I do have a clear preference for the original Japanese soundtrack.

Also, this is just subjective taste again, but I LOVE the opening and closing songs on Kiki's Delivery Service in the original Japanese soundtrack, and LOATHE the (to me) cheesey replacements in the Disney dub. I think if dubs are done they should try to be faithful to the original, and certainly not mess about stuff like music.

09.18.2008, 04:42 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recommend the subbed version unless the viewer is too young to read.

09.18.2008, 04:46 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am like dballred except I would prefer all young children, not just the ones who can't read, to watch the dubs as at a young age, they will not be fast readers and the entire film will mostly likely be spoiled by having them try to watch a subtitled film. I'd just allow them to enjoy the film. From preteens-up, subtitles should be fine.

My preference for subtitles is purely from an artistic standpoint - the preference to hear the "work" in its original form, as the creator intended it.

This raises another issue, which is that the director didn't intend for the screen to be plastered with subtitles and to have the viewer's eye be distracted from the main image every couple of seconds.

Regardless, I think the subtitled route is still less intrusive than an entire re-dubbing (and therefore voice direction) of the audio track...

09.21.2008, 10:31 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with theowne in that dubbed versions mean you don't get as distracted as you do with subs.

I only prefer subs when they hire someone particularly annoying to do it like Sheeta's character in the English Laputa!

Clicky

10.12.2008, 06:35 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I typically watch dubs - but that's only because that was the way that I originally saw all the movies. Normally, I watch the subbed versions of animes, but with Ghibli, oddly enough, it's rather different... I want to watch them in subs sometime - I just haven't done it yet. I probably couldn't ever stand to watch Kiki in subbed format - simply because I have become so attatched to the dubbed format! Probably because of the fact that I watched the filk mearly every day as a kid.

quote:
Also, this is just subjective taste again, but I LOVE the opening and closing songs on Kiki's Delivery Service in the original Japanese soundtrack, and LOATHE the (to me) cheesey replacements in the Disney dub. I think if dubs are done they should try to be faithful to the original, and certainly not mess about stuff like music.

Waah, I love their songs... again, probably because I'm so attached to them. I can sing along... xD Yay! ^.^

10.12.2008, 06:58 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol, you have to take the remote to the DVD away from me and throw out the batteries when watching Ghibli films, because I'll switch between every language on the disc. XD I don't mind dubs or subs for Ghibli, but I never usually watch subs and just put it in Japanese and that's it. I don't even watch anime subbed anymore. XD Unless I have to, I pay attention to how the Japanese words go more either way. I usually watch it without to test myself. Watching HOLiC with subs and finding I translated it oddly is fun. XD < Feeble minded, I'm not fluent just trying to make sense of something.. I can't even speak English properly... only to an extent..

We were singing the songs from the dub of Kiki at Katie's. ^^ I actually love those songs because I've what, been listening to them since I was four? My addiction to anime of any kind was really young, mainly due to my love of art. I thank my past self for being so in love with the art of everything for this or I'd be like everyone else. XD Blame art for how I am today.

10.12.2008, 09:38 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You've been singing to them since you were four too? YAY!

That was when I went around with a kiki bow all the time. And my favorite dress was dark-colored... YAY!

10.13.2008, 12:29 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by turniphead1
I agree with theowne in that dubbed versions mean you don't get as distracted as you do with subs.

Actually, I personally don't find subs distracting at all....I just don't think that subs are as completely non-intrusive as some people think, since they still alter the way you watch the film...

10.13.2008, 04:42 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say they are far from distracting, yet noticeable. I tend to run into them more than i want to because if i ever want to take a screen shot I have to either turn them off, or find a version where they arent there for any sort of photoshop projects.

It is weird that after a while, you get used to the original voices, and then english or whatever your home-tongue is never fits as well.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.13.2008, 04:49 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I perfer subs. The voice acting is much better in japan, and the words fit the mouth accurately.

10.13.2008, 05:22 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The only way to watch for me is in Japanese without subtitles. Usually, of course, I have to watch it with subs a couple times until I know the basic gist of the dialogue, but otherwise I think subtitles distract too much from the images (which, with animation, is pretty much the point).

10.13.2008, 06:42 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
The only way to watch for me is in Japanese without subtitles. Usually, of course, I have to watch it with subs a couple times until I know the basic gist of the dialogue, but otherwise I think subtitles distract too much from the images (which, with animation, is pretty much the point).

Hmm, I never heard of that dimension before. interesting. I used to find them distracting, but I get to the point where i can just read them really fast and focus on actions and what is happening. Cool though, never thought of watching a series that way.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.13.2008, 06:50 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi

I do that~! XD Only if what I'm watching I never watched yet that came out awhile back.

And I've read about why you get comfortable with a certain language in watching something. (Weird how I can't get used to anything in Taiwanese *sp?* but got so accustomed to Korean so fast that it became simpler than Japanese to understand o_O I dunno if reading it would be the same though..) But I won't bother with explainations since most of you likely know and it would come out horribly long. >.<

10.13.2008, 07:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Ooh, yes! I started learning random Japanese words from watching anime when I watched a lot of it - and it made learning Japanese in school twice as simple. ^.^ It sorta clicked. Yay!

10.13.2008, 07:26 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

The familiarity factor is definitely a part of it.

People who are anime fans find it jarring to watch dubbed anime because they are so accustomed to the connection between the Japanese animation style and the Japanese language.

This applies to me as well.

10.21.2008, 11:09 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Depends on what I'm watching... usually subs.

10.22.2008, 07:26 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that watching Japanese anime with american dubs just ruins it - like when i want to put on an anime dvd I ALWAYS put it to japanese with english subs -
gives it origanality and you can use your imagination and feel like you can actually understand Japanese

10.23.2008, 10:58 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks