QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Where did you see Howl's Moving Castle?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Where did you see Howl's Moving Castle? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
callieoh
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.30.07
  Where did you see Howl's Moving Castle?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by callieoh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I'm writing a paper for my Global Ethnographies about how Howl's Moving Castle is a global film. I've been studying about audience reception and I was wondering where any of y'all first saw the film???
Do you think Howl's Moving Castle is transnational??

Any comments would be soooo appreciated!!

04.30.2007, 02:21 PM callieoh is offline   Profile for callieoh Add callieoh to your buddy list
Tsuko
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.29.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tsuko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Howl's Moving Castle on my tv after downloading it and burning on a dvd.
Is it transnational-I would say -yes. It's about war. + there are some deeper things concerning Howl.

Hope my comment is appreciated.

--------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post last edited by Tsuko on 04.30.2007, 02:48 PM.

04.30.2007, 02:47 PM Tsuko is offline   Profile for Tsuko Add Tsuko to your buddy list Send an Email to Tsuko
callieoh
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by callieoh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah it is! Thanks!!

04.30.2007, 02:55 PM callieoh is offline   Profile for callieoh Add callieoh to your buddy list
callieoh
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by callieoh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would also love to know why you like the film??

Does it seem to be a great deal different from conventional Western animation?

What are your thoughts?

04.30.2007, 08:39 PM callieoh is offline   Profile for callieoh Add callieoh to your buddy list
Miyaka
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.06.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I first saw Howls moving Castle after I bought it, after seeing Spirited away I just knew that this would also be a great film, and I love it even more than Spirited away!

I love how unique the story is, It was well thought out and they did an even better job with the charactures lifelike feel. Sophie is a shy unhappy girl but doesnt really notice it until she starts working for Howl as his cleaning lady.

[Global ethnographers must begin their analysis by seeking out "place-making projects" that seek to define new kinds of places, with new definitions of social relations and their boundaries. Existing ethnographic studies of global processes tend to cluster under one of three slices of globalization—global forces, connections, or imaginations—each defined by a different kind of place-making project]

The film is certainly full of ideas in that area. Howls power through the star, Howls connections to the two kingdoms as well and Sophies magic too. i read the book and Sophie is actually powerful in her own way. you may notice a scull in the movie, well she talks to it so much that cleaning that it gains life, kinda like the cat does in the whisper of the heart film.

04.30.2007, 10:12 PM Miyaka is offline   Profile for Miyaka Add Miyaka to your buddy list
Tsuko
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.29.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tsuko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like that it's dark/evil sometimes. The characters are done very well. I like the coloured thing on the door. Other colours are brighter and happier, but the one where Howl is the ''monster'' is black. The thing that she turns back to being young sometimes is great. And the best is that Calcifer is connected with his heart. The music isn't my favourite but it's quite good. I don't watch Western animations much , so i can't really say if it is much different. From the one's i've seen i'd say it is very different. Much Better than Western.

--------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

05.01.2007, 03:41 AM Tsuko is offline   Profile for Tsuko Add Tsuko to your buddy list Send an Email to Tsuko
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw it i the cinema. Have no idea what transnational means.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the very few who don't like Howl. IMO one of Miyazaki's worst.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.01.2007, 07:24 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
First time I saw Howl, it was at home after buying the Dvd.
It became my favourite Ghibli.
However, after seeing other ghiblies and then howl for a second time, I did realize that although it is a good movie, it is not under Miyazaki´s best (at least) 3. It doesnt reatain the "reaply value".
Eg: I have seen WotH 4 times. Each time is beautiful. Totoro was also as perfect the second as the first time. As is mononoke each time I see it (3 so far).
However, thats only my opinion.

I do however think that it is a very global movie... maybe the movie easiest to relate to by non-japanese. Maybe thats what pulls it down a little. Some htings are a little too conventional in my opinion.
However, I must say, it is still a very beautiful movie, and beats any Disney hands down.
Just.. in terms of Ghibli...
theres better.

05.01.2007, 09:28 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Unfortunately, I'm one of the very few who don't like Howl.

I'm also one of those few.

The first half is good, and explores the ideas of war, as well as having some humour and the idea of people having two sides.
After that, it ploughs straight into the territory of what my brother calls "mad Japanese cartoons". It loses the beauty that goes hand-in-hand with Ghibli and replaces it with confusion and random flashbacks.
It looks nice enough, but it's nowhere near as good as other Ghibli films.

I saw it on DVD by the way.

05.01.2007, 12:35 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
the
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.02.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by the Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i saw it in theaters as well, and i also have to agree that i was dissapointed in the efforts they made in the movie, i thought it was mediocre at best.

05.02.2007, 08:37 AM the is offline   Profile for the Add the to your buddy list
tamasaburo
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tamasaburo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think it was quite a good film and the story was great but its not my favirite ghibli film i agree it is transnational. i would like to see your finished thing on hmc

05.02.2007, 10:02 AM tamasaburo is offline   Profile for tamasaburo Add tamasaburo to your buddy list Send an Email to tamasaburo Homepage of tamasaburo
callieoh
Susuwatari

Great! Thanks everyone who commented, you really helped me to get some input on audience reception among fans of Miyazaki and thougts on transnationalism!

If y'all have any other comments, etc...I'd still love to hear it!

Can't wait to turn this paper in next week...! 8]

05.02.2007, 01:11 PM callieoh is offline   Profile for callieoh Add callieoh to your buddy list
Chihiro_spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiro_spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i first saw the movie at home after i rented it from netflix. i think it is transnational. the subject of war can really relate to almost anywhere around the globe. it was real in the sense of the underlying war/ love theme, but unlike a few of his other movies the overlyi9ng part seemed less realistic. but isn't that the beauty of it? to understand some things then to be swept away in the amazement of others?

05.05.2007, 09:53 AM Chihiro_spirit is offline   Profile for Chihiro_spirit Add Chihiro_spirit to your buddy list
kk-on-keys
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kk-on-keys Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was the first Ghibli film I saw in a cinema.

05.06.2007, 07:17 AM kk-on-keys is offline   Profile for kk-on-keys Add kk-on-keys to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw it at home on DVD. I *almost* saw it in a theatre but my wife made a comment that she had heard from friends that it was a little wierd and hadn't got good reviews. This was a while before I was into anime anyway, although to me Howl isn't really anime - well, it's animation made in Japan, yes, but it has very few leanings towards manga/anime roots, it is possibly the most western-looking movie Ghibli has made - the least anime-ish if you get my meaning.

Is it transnational? Yes, because in it I see a love story, the war theme is subservient to the love story I think and love stories have no national boundaries.

Here's what I wrote about Howl a while ago:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by arren18
Also, why did Sophie never appear to be the same age for more than two seconds?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm no Howl expert, only watched it three times so far (once in English, twice in Japanese), so what I write may be wrong. When I first watched the film I hated it, it felt shallow compared to other Miyazaki work and the English dub is poor IMHO (Calcifer is a total jerk, sounds like a cheap Disney character in the dub). However I watched it again in Japanese hoping for a better film and second time around I think I "got" it.

The spell only affects her waking appearance, which is why she is 18 again when Howl sees her sleeping (what a beautiful moment on film, eh? Oooh, that made goosebumps on my flesh it was so romantic) and in the dream sequence. But there's more to it than that...

The film is a love story: in fact it's all about all different kinds of love, and several love stories at the same time -

First, the Witch of the Waste has a tragic unrequited love for Howl - and is so demented by it that she would literally 'steal his heart' if she could, regardless of how much damage that would do to her, her lover and those around her. She puts her spell on Sophie so that she's an old crone and Howl won't want to love her, an example of the worst kind of bitchiness that jilted lovers often demonstrate.

Second, Howl has no purpose in life, he's a drifter, doing what he likes, hurting women and being thoroughly selfish and childish. He is a child - because he has no heart. Then he meets Sophie and he is suddenly motivated to protect her through love. The hell he goes through to stop the war he goes through willingly to defend Sophie.

Third, there is a sort of interdependence kind of love between Howl and Calcifer as well I think, due to the heart being exchanged. When Calcifer is set free at the end he finds he would rather be a slave to Howl than be a free agent without him.

Fourth, Turnip the scarecrow responds to the kindness Sophie shows him. He falls in love with her and at the end her kiss breaks the spell on him. He departs, prepared to get his father the king to stop the war. Love can start wars and it can stop them.

Fifth, Markl falls in love with Sophie in as much that he welcomes her into their family as a mother figure.

Sixth, and most important, Sophie falls in love with Howl (and who wouldn't?). The spell the Witch of the Waste puts on Sophie can only be broken by true love. When you see Sophie changing her age constantly in the film, watch carefully those scenes again and see her interactions with Howl. The scene where he takes her into his garden is for me the highlight of the movie, Sophie turns into a gorgeous angel there.

There may be other love affairs in the story too - I'm sure Calcifer loves Sophie as well in his own kind of way.

This is a film that seems simple at first, and I was very disappointed when I first saw it, but with each rewatching it grows on you.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.06.2007, 12:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
opposite with me.
First time I absolutely loved it. I seriously put it on the top of my ghiblies immediately.
Everything clicked, I got everything.. it was beautiful.
SEcond time it seemed shallow-ish to me. Many of the things that I had loved in the first view were things I still loved. But the moments that were not absolutely incredible just didnt hold up to the first view. Dont know why.

A thiing I often "rate" ghiblies at is their replay value. And for me this one doesnt have lots of it.
It doesnt come close to movies like Mononoke or Totoro which I can watch many many times.
Whisper of the Heart set aside of course. Dont get me going on that one.

05.06.2007, 12:25 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Score! I was mentioned!

Anyway, in my opinion it just isn't what every other Ghibli movie is. I'd heard great things, so I was erally disappointed.

05.06.2007, 02:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR Whisper of the Heart set aside of course. Dont get me going on that one.

Feel free to start another Whisper thread where we can all go and foam and drool. We haven't had a new one for at least a week...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.06.2007, 03:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lets see, I just watched it Friday night on my laptop. I was in my room sitting on a bucket (sister had the chair) It was great, I'd give it 8 outta 10.

05.07.2007, 03:03 AM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was fortunate enough to get to see it in the theaters in Maryland when it first came to the states near the end of its run.

I was dissapointed to be only one of 4 people seated in the entire theater because I just knew that people wernt watching it because they thought it was just some kids cartoon. >.<*

My first viewing I had bit of trouble trying to pin down exactly what sort of story it was trying to tell. I thourougly enjoyed it tough not quite as much as I had Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke before it.

Ive watched it about 5 times since then and its really started to grow on me, especially now that im more certain of what the true themes are. The Anti war themes are really of the smallest importance, when compared to the Love stories being told... though I think that even those also take a back seat to the the theme of old age I only more recently started to realize.

Sure the theme of coping with old age is a blatently obviouse theme but I eventually started to realize more subtle details about sophies particular plight.

Alot of people seem to feel it was true love that broke Sophies curse but I dont feel thats completely right... It was certainly true for Turnip head at least.

What I feel broke Sophies curse was the fact that she refused to remain feeling old despite her bodies condition. The Concept that your only as old as you let yourself feel if you will.

I have 2 friends nearing 30 and the other mid 30's who always seem to run around thinking that there are so old always sighing wishing they were still teens. While sure they are older now than they were 10-15 years ago but they only feel old because they allow themselves to believe that they are. If they were placed under sophie's curse I dont think they could break free true love or no.

Im nearing 26 myself though I still feel that I havent even begun to truly grow up yet... I'm still a child at heart and I know that even if i was 70 I would still feel the same way. ^_^ People say I look young for my age and I think its because I'm always smiling. My 2 friends have touble finding the power to smile thus when they look into the mirror they see an old husk peering back. :p

I guess its fortunate that I was fated to be their friends because I'm sure that its by my example and advice that they are able find the energy in themselves to go on living.

I also love that were Howl ran away from the witch of the Waste after realizing she was old. learns to love Sophie eventually despite the fact that she starts out old an old crone.

Howls Moving Castle is now among my favorites were initially it ranked a bit toward the lower end of my personal rankings. Realizing these more subtle truth of Sophies Curse actuallt helped me to better understand and appreciate Porco Rosso suprisingly enough another film I was unsure of at first.

He wasnt a Pig because he couldnt find a way to break the curse. He was a pig because he continued to allow himself to believe he was always acting so selfishly and pigheaded.

I believe now that he did break his curse only after he started acting more chivilrous and selfless towards Fio whose selfless acts inspired him into action.

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

07.09.2007, 01:44 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks