QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli recommendations?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Studio Ghibli recommendations? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Frazmand
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.14.07
Studio Ghibli recommendations?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Frazmand Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi,
I am new to these forums and have recently really got into the Studio Ghibli films.

So far I have seen, Howls Moving Castle, Pom Poko, Spirited Away and Only yesterday.

Could anyone recommend and more films which are as good as these (not just SG films)?

Thanks

01.14.2007, 08:45 AM Frazmand is offline   Profile for Frazmand Add Frazmand to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nausicaa ofd the Valley of the Wind.

THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!
cheers

01.14.2007, 08:50 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by I-B4-E THUG
Whisper of the Heart.

THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!
cheers

That's more like it.

01.14.2007, 10:03 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd recommend any show I've seen...*some one puts hand
over mouth*mfjkhfasuixxnakleuioosz,aklq...Hey, let go!
You should watch all Ghibli films, you hear?
so no one on here kills one another for the best movie..

01.14.2007, 11:31 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, watch all ghibli (whisper of the heart is best), and watch Makoto Shinkai's films too.

Post last edited by Seiji on 01.14.2007, 04:43 PM.

01.14.2007, 04:42 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Mononokehime
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.25.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mononokehime Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One word for you- MononokeHime ! No, not me, the film ! It is PHENOMINAL ! Did I spell that right ? Never mind. 8] Honestly, watch it. * nods *

01.14.2007, 05:26 PM Mononokehime is offline   Profile for Mononokehime Add Mononokehime to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, you didn't. It's phenomenal.

Anyway, he mentioned that he was also interested in films other than ghibli. Here's the ones on top of my head I strongly recommend:

JinRoh (IMO the BEST animated movie EVER)
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Like the Clouds, Like the Wind

There are others, but just these few first. I'd recommend Pokemon 2000 (2nd movie) too, but some people here would probably kill me. But seriously, the 2nd movie is at least worth the watch compared to the other movies. It's got a really good plot and storyline for a kiddy series.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 01.15.2007, 10:51 AM.

01.15.2007, 10:49 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
emperor squirrel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by emperor squirrel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i agree, the pokemon movie is well worth watching. yes, people would disagree as it is a supposed kiddy movie, but it's all a matter of degree - any animation, even the masterful ghibli stuff, is seen as kiddy movies by the average public, simply because it's animation. they just don't get it.

01.15.2007, 10:57 AM emperor squirrel is offline   Profile for emperor squirrel Add emperor squirrel to your buddy list
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whiper of the Heart is really good ^_^ Kantorii Roodo! lol

Has anyone watched any of Kitano's films? I almost bought Kikujiro at Borders, but I was so hesitant...

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

01.15.2007, 07:27 PM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I'd recommend Pokemon 2000 (2nd movie) too, but some people here would probably kill me. But seriously, the 2nd movie is at least worth the watch compared to the other movies. It's got a really good plot and storyline for a kiddy series.

Good times.

01.16.2007, 12:32 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

definitely agree see whisper of the heart, grave of the fireflies, spirited away, cat returns, castle in the sky my neighbor totoro...

01.16.2007, 02:36 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Frazmand
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.14.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Frazmand Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
No, you didn't. It's phenomenal.

Anyway, he mentioned that he was also interested in films other than ghibli. Here's the ones on top of my head I strongly recommend:

JinRoh (IMO the BEST animated movie EVER)
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Like the Clouds, Like the Wind

I watched Ghost in the Shell recently and i really didn't like it. I have got Akira to watch.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I need to see some of them.

01.18.2007, 01:00 PM Frazmand is offline   Profile for Frazmand Add Frazmand to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He he he i like The Cat Returns.. Mostly coz it has the Baron!! Wow he rawks!!

01.18.2007, 01:20 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, yeah. Haruko, while you weren't on earlier I gave some one the nick name Baron. Their a new member.

01.18.2007, 01:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

....I'm sorry but i cant allow tht. Callin someone 'Baron' is blasphemous (Is tht how u spell it) in my books.

01.18.2007, 01:35 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Huh? I'm sorry, but what does that weird word I
do not know mean?
They had a long user name so I named them The Baron.
Plus, he was her favorite character. So sorry, Haruko.
What does that word mean?

01.18.2007, 01:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm not really a big fan of anime in general...but I've seen a few you might quite like.

Jin Roh - This really is a great movie (as Roarkiller said), although I prefer Studio Ghibli movies and the next candidate more. Btw, it's by the same director that made Ghost in the Shell, but don't let that put you off since it is a very different movie.

Millennium Actress - In my opinion, this is the best non-Ghibli anime I've ever seen. Satoshi Kon has always been a pretty amazing director, but this movie really stands out.

P.S. - I also didn't enjoy Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2 much. I think Akira is really overrated too.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

01.19.2007, 08:59 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

akira was overratted but it was good, not much more.

ghost int he shell 1 was good maybe a bit better than akira.

havetn seen all of meillenium actress, but ive heard really good things, adn il probably get around to it, same with jin roh.

EDIT: the best anime ive ever seen was the evangelion series, i know its a love or hate anime but i really enjoyed it thoroughly and i have to get arround to it again.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

Post last edited by Miyrru on 01.19.2007, 10:00 PM.

01.19.2007, 09:59 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to hear you don't like GITS. But then not many people can really understand the philosophy behind the movie.

In that case then, I suggest you watch Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers. It's basically a japanese take on the english movie The Three Godfathers, but it's pretty good on it's own.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.20.2007, 06:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Avoiding nominations given by others:

Place Promised in our Early Days by Makoto Shinkai.
Cowboy Bebop (the Movie or TV series, both are cool)

and of course Neon Genesis Evangelion

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.20.2007, 08:29 AM.

01.20.2007, 08:29 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks