QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My neighbour Totoro review(spoiler warning)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » My neighbour Totoro review(spoiler warning) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  My neighbour Totoro review(spoiler warning)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No real plot or drama, just a simple childish story about two little girls in the 1950, who move out to the country to be nearer to their ill mother and befriend a spirit in the woods. Sounds boring on paper, doesn't it? But this movie is far from boring, it's one of the most beautiful and magical pieces of art ever created.
My neighbor Totoro is the story of 10 year old Satsuki and her 4 year old sister Mei, who with their father move out to the country from Tokyo to be closer to the hospital where the girl's mother has been for a long time. The house that the girls move into is really old and a bit of a wreck. The girls are more excited than scared at the prospect that it might be hounted. And this seems to be the case, with acorns appearing at odd places and susuwataris (soot balls) everywhere. The little family still settles into the house and gets friendly with the neighbors. One day Mei meets a huge creature that she calls a Totoro. And so begins a magical friendship that gives the girls happiness when they most need it.
So what exactly is a Totoro? Well, the interesting part is that it's never made quite clear what Totoro is. The girl's dad call him the king of the woods and he seems to be some kind of forest god/spirit, but nobody knows for sure. The name is Mei's mispronounciation of torroro (troll). Mei has a storybook with the japanese version of the tale of the Three goats and probably thinks Totoro looks like the troll in the story. (In the end, when still pictures of the girl's life after Mother comes home, there is one picture where Mother reads this story to the girls and Totoro really looks a lot like the troll!!!!) There are actually three totoros; a little withe one, a blue one that's a bit bigger and a huge grey one, although most people mean the grey one when they talk about totoro. Totoros are very kind creature, who enjoy helping their friends. They have magical powers, they can fly on spinning tops, for example. It's never made clear if Totoro only exists in the girl's imagination, but all adults around them take what the girls' stories about Totoro seriously.
There are so many things that I love about My neighbor Totoro that I don't know where to begin. Everything about this sweet little movie just seems to be well... perfect. The characters, the story, the art, the music and so on all come together to create something that's much more than the sum of the different things. The characters are all entirely believeable. There's no conflict between the characters, all seem to live in harmony with each other. This is especially the case with the Kusakabe family. Father is a professor, who is a little absentminded and not very practical, is the best daddy in the world for his little girls. Mother is away, but she watches over her girls and waits for the time that she can join her family. Satsuki (bless her little heart) is a tough tomboy that really tries to manage her new role as mother of the house. And then there's Mei, a little chubby thing that's curious about everything. Like in Kiki's delivery service one year later, the strong family unit produces strong and self-confident little girls that can deal with life crises. Almost part of the family too is the neighbour granny, who looks after the girls when their father is working and to whom Satsuki can tell her fears about mother dying.
My neighbour Totoro is a visually stunning movie, because every little detail is so realistically drawn. The old house and the forest beside it, the farm community etc. Joe Hisaishi's music is perfect for the movie with it's cheerful children's songs, combined with a few sadder pieces when they are needed. The pace of the movie is really calm, so that you can appreciate everything happening. I'll give you an example of a scene where everything works together extra perfect; in fact this is my favourite scene in the movie. It's a rainy afternoon and the Satsuki notices that daddy has forgotten his umbrella,so she and Mei go to meet him at the bus stop. The bus comes, but daddy isn't on it, so the girls decide to wait. It's getting dark and Mei is getting bored and tired. So the girls are just waiting. But the waiting isn't boring, its beautiful. And then, in this totally normal situation where nothing really happens, magic happens. Totoro comes and joins the girls at the bus stop. But the scene isn't made like it probably would have been in a western cartoon; with loads of hints that now SOMETHING MAGICAL happens and intense reactions. In fact, this scene in Totoro is pretty low key. It's just Totoro wordlessly joining the girls at the bus stop and Satsuki and Totoro standing together, waiting for the bus. Even when Totoro's cat bus arrives, the scene is still not over the top. I think that most western cartoonists could learn a thing or two about pacing and intensity from Totoro. A movie for children doesn't need to be full of action all the time and scenes can be very intense without being sentimental.
One of the most beautiful things about Totoro is that it's a real kids film, in that it's not too scary. But because Miyazaki always respects his young audience, he can put serious themes in his movies for younger children. Totoro isn't just a sunshine story, some of the storylines are really tragical. It's hinted in the movie that Totoro comes to the little girls, because they need him. There was a discussion on onlineghibli this summer about the mother's illness in Totoro and Satsuki's fear of mother dying is grounded in reality. In the 50's tuberculosis still could, and did, kill, so I feel that there's always the threat of mother dying. The darker storylines kind of make the more light-hearted storylines sweeter and the more light-hearted storylines keep the dark storylines from getting too depressing. My favourite Miyazaki movie is and will always be Princess mononoke, because it was the first Ghibli I saw, but the movie I go back to and watch time and time again is Totoro. This film in simple pure perfection. And when I wait for the bus on dark, rainy nights, I still secretly hope that a certain gentle giant would come and join me at the bus stop.

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 10.14.2011, 06:33 AM.

10.12.2011, 09:51 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've said it before, but one of the things that I like about "Totoro" is the memories that it brings to me of the Japan that I knew in the mid-sixties. From the friendliness of the neighbors to the reality of the house and the scenery.

I was lucky in the fact that as a sailor homeported out of Yokosuka, I didn't have to be back on the ship every night. My step-father was on the same ship and the Captain arranged what was called 'permanent overnight liberty' which meant that, when I didn't have the duty, I could go home and be with my family. My dad was high enough in rank (E-5) as an enlisted man that he could bring his family (and the family car[Mustang] ) over to Japan with us. And yes, I had a Japanese drivers license. Quite an experience in itself, I must say. We were in Japan for a couple of years although my dad and I actually weren't. We spent most of the time enroute to and returning from Vietnam and on-line (firing line).

However, when I was in Japan I would frequently get on a train and travel out into the countryside until I was someplace that I'd never been before and get off and walk around and meet people. One day, while riding home from the Navy base, I met a guy a year younger than I and we became friends and it ended up that his family invited my family to their rice farm outside of Tokyo for the weekend. That is where my memory of a Japanese farmhouse comes from. Even the bath tubs were much the same, although they used gas for heating the water instead of wood. After dinner on Saturday, the men all gathered in the TV room and watched a baseball game and consumed vast quantities (not really) of hot sake.

Even after all these years, I prefer to watch with the subtitles because I seem to pick up from the cadence of the language what the emotions are to coinside with the action being seen. My sister, being young, became fluent in Japanese in a very short time. Enough so that she actually waited on customers at a friends cookie store, including greeting, weighing, calculating and making change all in Japanese with the little scale and cash box. It was mind-blowing to watch as she had only been in-country for about six months at that time. She has forgotten all of it now though. She's 55 now.

Anyway, that's why I like "My Neighbor Totoro" and have the Totoro tattoo on my arm.

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.12.2011, 11:17 AM.

10.12.2011, 11:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I've always considered Totoro to be Miyazaki's first true "masterpiece". I think it perfectly captures both the wonderful sense of imagination - but also the fragility - of childhood. Better than any film before it, and any film since.

I wrote a review of it sometime back. Review.

Post last edited by Theowne on 10.12.2011, 10:37 PM.

10.12.2011, 10:36 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great review Heidi!

10.14.2011, 11:26 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks