QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki/Takahata - which movie is the Best of the 80s?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Miyazaki/Takahata - which movie is the Best of the 80s? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: Don't be greedy. Just pick one.
Future Boy Conan Special: the Revival of the Giganto / 未来少年コナン特別篇 巨大機ギ ガントの復活 (1984)
Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind / 風の谷のナウシカ (1984)
Gauche the Cellist / セロ弾きのゴーシュ (1982)
Chie the Brat / じゃリン子チエ (1981)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky / 天空の城ラピュタ (1986)
Yanagawa Canal Story / 柳川堀割物語 (1987)
Grave of the Fireflies / 火垂るの墓 (1988)
My Neighbor Totoro / となりのトトロ (1988)
Kiki's Delivery Service / 魔女の宅急便 (1989)
Results
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
amberdew3
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.31.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amberdew3 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1)Grave of Fireflies
Then all the other films on an equal level. i really love all of them the are so different that it is hard to compare. Grave of Fireflies is my personal best as it was so sad. the emotions it showed through anime, i have never seen an animation like it before

12.31.2006, 06:56 PM amberdew3 is offline   Profile for amberdew3 Add amberdew3 to your buddy list
emperor squirrel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by emperor squirrel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for me, also, GotF. i could go on and on about the starkly realised characters, the heart-wrenching and unforgiving storyline, the masterful manipulation of the audience (it's shown right at the beginning that they die but you spend the whole movie hoping against hope that they somehow survive), the elegiac animation... but what it comes down to in the end is how i connected with this movie - and let's face it, favourite movies are all about what you personally get from them - so for me it was the scenes with the fruit drops can. i saw GotF a week after i returned from a trip to japan where i went in search of the essence of anime. naturally, such a nebulous errand was bound to disappoint. but at the airport on the way home i bought a tin of fruit drops for the long journey home... kept the tin on my desk at work and it seemd to sum up my trip. then i saw GoftF and felt somehow connected. silly, i know. but it is the small, seemingly inconsequential things that strike at our hearts and that is why Grave of the Fireflies is my favourite ever movie. also i like Kiki's Delivery Service, the cat is cute.

01.15.2007, 10:44 AM emperor squirrel is offline   Profile for emperor squirrel Add emperor squirrel to your buddy list
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I voted for Laputa because (besides the fact I haven't watched half the other ones....) I loved the animation in it as well as the score. The music is some of Hisaishi's best work in my opinion and I'd watch the movie again just to hear it.

Well I think Laputa was the best I also thought Nausicaa was wonderful too, well it didn't have the same musical draw Laputa had I love the story and thought the ending was much better then the one in the graphic novel.

02.12.2007, 03:46 AM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
the
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.02.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by the Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

grave of the fireflies is amazing, possibly my favorite ghibli film ever.

05.02.2007, 08:36 AM the is offline   Profile for the Add the to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Grave of the FirefliesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I havnt come across any bad Ghibli films but Fireflies touched me emotionally in a way no other anime has ever done before.

I couldnt help but cry when I saw the final scene with Setsuko running around outside the shelter.

A wonderful flm....

06.03.2007, 05:28 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Ghibli King
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.17.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ghibli King Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Definitely "Grave of the Fireflies".

Post last edited by Ghibli King on 01.03.2010, 10:39 AM.

07.17.2007, 07:03 AM Ghibli King is offline   Profile for Ghibli King Add Ghibli King to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You know, its about time we had one of these polls for the 90s.

Anway, if you're still lurking about Jiji...might be worth thinking about

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

07.17.2007, 10:14 AM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  laputaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i voted for Totoro it just makes you feel good inside

07.18.2007, 11:44 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
jim222
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jim222 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not only is My neighbor Totoro The best ghibli ever, it is the best movie ever!

08.04.2007, 09:57 PM jim222 is offline   Profile for jim222 Add jim222 to your buddy list
..Ayami..
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ..Ayami.. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for me it was between laputa and totoro.

it was very close but in the end i voted for laputa. it just has a great plot and great animation.

still, i have nothing bad to say about totoro

08.10.2007, 07:53 AM ..Ayami.. is offline   Profile for ..Ayami.. Add ..Ayami.. to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nausicaa, because it's the only one out of that lot that I've seen! Nausicaa was the most bizarre film I've ever seen. There was this really scary little song that they shoved in at like totally random moments. That song freaked me out, seriously it could give you nightmares!

My Anime List

08.25.2007, 02:49 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
nausicaa_jublia
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.19.06
  ........Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nausicaa_jublia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i voted for "KIKI's DElivery Service"just because i like it

09.03.2007, 06:07 AM nausicaa_jublia is offline   Profile for nausicaa_jublia Add nausicaa_jublia to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

there is a town between where i live in tasmania and well the town is called ross
and there is a bakery there and it's the one that ghibli based on for kiki's
it's true you can get sourveneers there and all

09.03.2007, 07:55 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Definetly Nausicaa, great depth and it is one that is close to my heart.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.11.2007, 06:47 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

id say Kiki's, cuz its a good old fun adventurino

09.18.2007, 08:51 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Supergaijin
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.21.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Supergaijin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm going with Grave of the Fireflies. I know it's been said a thousand times, but it's probably the most realistic anime I've ever seen. It's depressing throughout but eventually uplifting.

Laputa is a close second. I've never been so entertained by a children's adventure story. It's also one of the more imaginative of the Ghibli films.

I really hope Ghibli works on more films without the usual fantasy themes though. Whisper Of the Heart for example, my favorite Ghibli film.

"The man studied economics, but he never studied happiness."

"Shizuki... will you marry me!?"

09.23.2007, 10:31 AM Supergaijin is offline   Profile for Supergaijin Add Supergaijin to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I personally love the fantasy element he adds to his films. The fact that most of them are based on real life, but have that added element of fantasy is awesome.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.23.2007, 10:33 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what do u mean by "most are based on real life".

u mean by time period or character development, or something else??

09.23.2007, 04:31 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
what do u mean by "most are based on real life".

u mean by time period or character development, or something else??

Probably time period and setting. Obviously the characters are based on real life, except for the fantasy ones.

Anyway, I voted for Totoro, because I liked it the most of all the films listed. Laputa would be a close second for me. I didn't really like Grave of the Firefiles.

09.27.2007, 07:53 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YES!
totoro is back on top!
WEHEY!

09.27.2007, 11:00 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks