QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Strangely enough nothing in GotF made me cry. And coming from me you know that's impossible. I just didn't like that movie, it was too morbid, too - gah, just too much. I didn't know the ending but I could guess it was coming so when it did it wasn't just not a surprise, it wasn't even emotional.

I cry when Sugimura gets turned down, that look on his face, the way he walks away, like his life is over, like we've all done as kids. That was a true emotional moment because it was real, I've been there and I expect most of us have.

A small child dying pointlessly in war is too detached for me, I can't get close to that situation. So it doesn't affect me.

I think Takahata's films overall are sadder than Miyazaki's....

Did any of you know that in the original Little Mermaid, Ariel died when Ursula stabbed her at the end before she was killed by Prince guy....

08.21.2007, 02:00 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
And now I must do the obligatory thing and mention San feeding Ashitaka by mouth...

It doesn't move me but it does, hm, what's the word? excite me.

hahahha.... ya totally

08.21.2007, 02:01 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^
Did any of you know that in the original Little Mermaid, Ariel died when Ursula stabbed her at the end before she was killed by Prince guy....

Actually, in the original story, Ariel fails to have the prince kiss her in three days, and she becomes so depressed at the prospect of remaining human forever that she casts herself into the sea and turns into seafoam.

08.21.2007, 08:45 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
quote:

Actually, in the original story, Ariel fails to have the prince kiss her in three days, and she becomes so depressed at the prospect of remaining human forever that she casts herself into the sea and turns into seafoam.

did you read the original book??? Cause I did but the movie says that she died from simply not kissing the prince... which was part of Ursula's original deal.....

08.24.2007, 01:14 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Er . . . Ariel doesn't die in the movie. And I have read the original story by Hans Christian Andersen.

08.24.2007, 08:05 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
mirrorsaw
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mirrorsaw Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The tree growing scene in Totoro is the most definitive of hayao's big themes to me.

The resurrection of Nausicaa, although I read he doesn't like it anymore, is also similar

The cremation of Setsuko doesn't even need an explanation, I don't think I've ever seen a moment in any other film that was as devestating to my mind. It took a day or two to recover from that movie.

As for Goro's film, Teru no Uta was a scene that took me by suprise, Tehanu is the Ghibli character I identify with the most, strangely

10.09.2007, 03:29 AM mirrorsaw is offline   Profile for mirrorsaw Add mirrorsaw to your buddy list
Supergaijin
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.21.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Supergaijin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Grave Of the Fireflies : When Setsuko is begging and crying to her not-so-awesome aunt not to take away her mothers Kimono's, not knowing she is dead. All the while Seita's ghost is watching, and can't stand the image of his little sister suffering anymore, he looks away, shuts his ears and closes his eyes, and remembers happier days. Really moving scene for me.

Not long after the first bombing, Setsuko and Seita go to the school for their food rations. They stand outside the school yard, Setsuko asks Seiji where their mother is, he tells her she's fine and that they'll see her again, but in the back of his mind he knows their mother is in bad shape, and Setsuko will eventually see their bed ridden
mother(who we know eventually dies). Setsuko stars crying really missing her mom, Seiji, who can't stand seeing this, runs to the chin up bars and starts spinning, trying anything just to cheer his little sister up.

When Setsuko is burying the dead fireflies and reveals to Seita that their aunt had revealed to her the fate of her mother. Seita's reaction really pulled the emotional strings for me, he started crying, he himself is caused pain every time he sees his little sister sad. He really loves his little sister, their innocent, and their own countrymen are barely of any help. It's one of the many tragedies of war. It's a powerful scene.

Whispers of the Heart : The famous singing scene. When Seiji plays his violin while Shizuku sings Country Roads. It's a really sweet and uplifting scene. Really makes you believe, or want to believe, if love like Shizuku's and Seiji's exist out there... love in the purest sense of the word. It's become one of my most beloved sequences in any form of entertainment.

The proposal. Nuff said. 8]

We all know there are a lot more, these are the ones most significant to me.

"The man studied economics, but he never studied happiness."

"Shizuki... will you marry me!?"

Post last edited by Supergaijin on 10.10.2007, 04:34 PM.

10.10.2007, 12:56 AM Supergaijin is offline   Profile for Supergaijin Add Supergaijin to your buddy list
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pretty much the entire film Grave of the Fireflies. I almost cried a lot during that movie.

A scene in Totoro actually makes me almost cry. The whole part where the girls receive a telegram and they find out that their mother can't come home because she's too sick. I always feel very moved when Satsuki is on the phone trying to get a hold of her father to tell him about the telegram and then she just has to wait for him to call back.

Then in Tales from Earthsea when Therru is singing. It's a very beautiful song and I feel happy-sad when I hear it.

10.16.2007, 10:51 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

It really should be obvious, I suppose, but only recently have I begun to notice that different people cry for very different reasons.

In Totoro, for example, the scene where they grow the giant tree has often moved me to tears, but the scenes around the mother's illness have never made me cry at all. I've found that, personally, I cry out of frustration much more than out of sadness.

10.17.2007, 12:17 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

Aye, this is correct, she becomes the foam on the waves. And also if I remember correctly every single step she takes on land is an agony to her... the original tale really is not a happy one at all.

10.20.2007, 08:21 PM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Tanuki

whatever......

10.27.2007, 10:32 PM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
It really should be obvious, I suppose, but only recently have I begun to notice that different people cry for very different reasons.
Yes. I too become emotional at the tree-growing scene, its the wonder and innocence of it that moves me.

I will cry during happy scenes, the end of Only Yesterday and Whisper for example because there is a huge amount of positive emotional release in those scenes after a period of struggle and indecision.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.28.2007, 03:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Skyflakes Crackers
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.06.08
Location: In Yakushima forest, in search of kodamas and white wolves. And looking for a fat cat in Tama.
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Skyflakes Crackers Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The most moving scenes I know so far...
Grave of the Fireflies: After the firefly show in the shelter, Setsuko digs a grave for the dead fireflies. "Mommy's in a grave now, is she?" I don't really know the exact quote, but something like that. She already knew what happened to her mother. Then Seita starts to cry. It's very powerful on how serious concepts can affect younger kids.

Princess Mononoke: San's encounters with Ashitaka. They first met when she sucked out the poisoned blood of Moro after she got shot and fell. "Are you ancient gods, and have I..." I don't know the rest. "Go away!"
Then after the Irontown scene. "I didn't want them to kill you. That's why." Aww... "I'm not afraid to die! And I'll do anything to get those humans out of my forest!" "I knew that from the first moment I saw you." Double Aww... A few lines after that, he says that she's pretty... It kinda reminds me of Twilight, only that the guy's arm is bezerk, and the girl is feral.

Whisper of the Heart: The chat at the rooftop or something, then the students have to ruin everything. When Shizuku sees Seiji at the library when she's doing
her research for her book. Then Shizuku sees Seiji again in the morning after the apprenticeship and the proposal. To Whisper fans posting in this tavern: sorry if I'm not giving as much detail about it than the others above.

12.06.2008, 01:32 AM Skyflakes Crackers is offline   Profile for Skyflakes Crackers Add Skyflakes Crackers to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I recently rewatched Grave of the Fireflies and I was taken aback by the scene immediately after Setsuko's death, in which she is shown playing happily around their "hideout," accompanied by that gorgeous music. My God, what a beautiful scene. I can't believe I didn't notice how wonderful, how heartbreaking, it was before. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

At any rate, it has to be one of Ghibli's finest moments.

12.06.2008, 03:10 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are two scenes in particular that I find the most moving, basically because they're the only ones which have actually made me cry.

The first one would be the ending in Grave of the Fireflies. I've only seen this film once so I don't remember everything, but I do remember being very moved emotionally. I was just devestated after watching it and for a while I would get teary-eyed just by thinking about it. Everything that happens in the end is just so heart-breaking and sad, and it is all heightened by that incredible music.

The second one is the ending credits in Only Yesterday. I remember feeling a little disatisfied when I saw the first credit popping up, with an old man being the center of attention. I thought the movie would end right there, with Taeko returning to Tokyo not having learnt much. But then it all segues into this really magical conclusion (I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it) which really moved me to tears of joy. The main theme in this scene is also worth a mention as it's extremely beautiful and uplifting.

Hmm.. it seems I really favor the movies of Takahata. Miyazaki is still incredible too though

12.06.2008, 11:19 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami

Also in Mononoke, the whole scene after Ashitaka has rescued San. He's lying on the ground bleeding and she's shouting at him for preventing her from killing Lady Eboshi, and then he just says ... "You're ... beautiful." And then San freaks out. I thought her reaction just showed how alienated she was. A normal girl would just get embarrassed, but she was actually almost frightened.

why do i always forget about that scene? it goes into the second spot behind the train scene(which is the millionth time ive mentioned it )

That scene is priceless, especially in the English dub, when they play up the "big brother" thing with the wolf.

12.12.2008, 01:58 AM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88

Hmm.. it seems I really favor the movies of Takahata.

I don't know if I favor the movies of Takahata (as compared to Miyazaki) but I certainly favor Takahata's endings. His four movies at Ghibli are perfect for me, in this regard, and among them the ending of Omohide Poro Poro is my favourite.

Other moving scenes:
- Gina's flashback in Porco Rosso
- the train trip in Chihiro
- the rooftop scene in Whisper of the Heart
- the remembrance-conjure scene in Pom-Poko
- Taeko singing to cheer herself, in the street at dawn in Omohide Poro Poro

12.12.2008, 03:27 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
bloodyh
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.25.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bloodyh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Damn I don't have time to read all your posts but I will definitely one day Read the first page and it reminds me some of my preferred sequences that I'd like to expose with my own words...

Mononoke - when Ashitaka interferes in the duel and makes his speech, with the curse materialized through tentacles... Ashitaka remains perfectly calm and keeps control of the situation though this thing comes out of his arm. He's incredibly strong and determined. He uses his weakness as a strength, at that very moment I feel like he is invincible.

Laputa - Uncle Pom is sooo cultured! He doesn't need any sophisticated background to be the wisest man of the movie, he's just a miner listening to the things that surround himself.

Laputa (again) - I remember I felt nuts at some point when Sheeta and the boy [don't remember his name] are in the Castle (in the Sky...)... Oh yeah, that must be when they are facing the dead "organic robot"...

There's many others, but I have to leave, sorry God I'm so glad to have found this website!!!

12.25.2008, 06:50 AM bloodyh is offline   Profile for bloodyh Add bloodyh to your buddy list
che ken
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.27.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by che ken Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A fave scene? Damn hard to choose to be honest. Reading all these posts is maknig me want to watch them all again!

Okay then, it'd have to be from the most recent film, Tales from Earthsea' by Goro Miyazaki.

The scene where Therru is standing on the peak of the hill singing her song captivated me, and for his first piece of animation I thought it was magnificently done. It gave me the impression of a superiority against life, no matter what may come against her (It brought tears to my eyes)!

Authough it's too hard to just choose that one scene!

In Pricess Mononoke, for a moving scene it has to be the duel, the immense coolness and analysis of the situation, and finally the proof of his unlimited strength as he opens the gate that needs at least ten men, while holding San in one hand and with a hole in his stomach!

For Laputa, I'd have to say the moment Sheeta and Pazu say the spell of destruction, allowing the castle to finally return to the orbit of Earth

and finally (cus it's getting too long ) Whisper of the Heart, when the group sing 'Country Roads' together. It's just so touching and gives the impression of how close they are (It looked like Shizuku wouldn't sing for anyone else!)

12.27.2008, 03:19 PM che ken is offline   Profile for che ken Add che ken to your buddy list
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm. Hello all.

For me it has to be Grave of the Fireflies. No question. So much so that even now I can't bring myself to watch it through to the end, even though it has one of the most powerful and poignant storey lines that Ghibi has produced to date. Even seeing it for the first time I cracked up completely and failed to watch it all the way through. I have yet to watch that film all the way through and doubt I will.

At first I thought that our favourite Director was applying commercial grade cynicism to elicit maximum angst from us but, when you realise that he was simply truth telling his side of the WWII conflict and against the backdrop of the story being semi biographical in nature and concept you may realise just how horrible the situation was for those, mainly women and kids mind you, who underwent that very dark chapter of world history.

Against that backdrop the failing fortunes of those two characters was unravelled and there was nothing I could do to help. Not nice.

The beach scene, the ice cream scene, the walking along the river bank.. All worthy. The doctor scene and the station scene and the railway carriage scene and the fireflies scene and saying good bye to little Setsuko not so nice.

Her final "Thank you" finished me off even though it is, for me, one the most moving scenes.

What astounded me was the realisation that this film was originally released as a double bill along with Totoro (One of my absolute favourites.) But surely, talk about chalk and cheese.

03.08.2009, 01:40 PM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks