QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What got you into Ghibli?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What got you into Ghibli? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
InkAndPixelClub
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.20.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by InkAndPixelClub Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm resisting the temptation to say "Just read my "Kiki" article."

Around the time I was just starting to get interested in anime, I rented "My Neighbor Totoro." I thought the animation was quite lovely, but the pacing seemed slow and it just didn't click with me at the time. (I started to like it more after watching it again a few times, but it just didn't blow me away the first time around.) A few years later, I was a little more into "Totoro" so my friend gave me a VHS copy of "Kiki's Delivery Service" for my birthday. And that did it. This was a film that I found beautiful and one that spoke to me personally. After that, I was seeing "Princess Mononoke" during its US theatrical release, buying bootlegs of the other Miyazaki films, replacing those bootlegs when the legitimate DVD releases came out, and catching every subsequent Miyazaki film in theaters.

I think the first non-Miyazaki Ghibli film I saw was "Grave of the Fireflies." I haven't had quite the drive to track down and watch other Ghibli films that I have for Miyazaki films, but I have seen most of them and I own most of the US DVDs of them.

07.20.2009, 12:50 PM InkAndPixelClub is offline   Profile for InkAndPixelClub Add InkAndPixelClub to your buddy list
Churkirby
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.21.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Churkirby Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First one I saw was Spirited away, we borrowed it from my cousin. I was a little skeptical about how much I'd enjoy it at first but I loved the drawing, animation and style of the film. So, I decided that I liked anime a lot and I next bought Nausicäa after seeing the collection of Ghibli films in a shop, thinking it looked like the film I'd enjoy most. And sure enough, I loved the film, and it's still my favourite of the collection today!! Thats what really got me into the films and anime in general and now I have 7 of the Ghibli films, desperately needing to see the others! ;P

Post last edited by Churkirby on 07.21.2009, 01:36 PM.

07.21.2009, 01:35 PM Churkirby is offline   Profile for Churkirby Add Churkirby to your buddy list
Wiss
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wiss Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when i was little, i think around 6 the first one i watched was kikis delivery service and then my friend and i would constantly watch totoro

07.23.2009, 08:21 PM Wiss is offline   Profile for Wiss Add Wiss to your buddy list
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  Well...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Like many others I first watched Spirited Away, which I liked a lot; then Howl, but still I wasn't hooked. Third came Mononoke, but that was a BIG disappointment: it was on the BBC over Christmas some three years ago. when I got back from my hols I was looking forward to watching it (I had taped it), but I found it very disappointing indeed. (Later on I discovered that the version I watched had been heavily edited, in fact it was only about 90 mins long, reason why I could not follow the plot properly; since then I have seen the "normal" version twice and quite liked it).
More recently I started renting various animated Miyazaki's films. The first was Cagliostro (because my wife is a fan of Lupin's), but rigorously in Japanese as the dubbed version is almost unbearable. Then I think came Totoro which I REALLY liked and this is when things started to change. However I would say we got really hooked after Only Yesterday (which my wife particularly liked), but most of all after the Grave of the Fireflies (which I had put off watching because I had read some bad reviews); Funnily enough they are both Takahata's

07.26.2009, 10:08 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Sazaneyes1991
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.31.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sazaneyes1991 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been a fan of anime for as long as I can remember, so it's quite surprising that I only discovered SG about 5 years ago when I rented out Spirited Away. I watched it 3 times in as many days, then went out to buy it as soon as it had to be returned. About a month later, I bought Howl's Moving Castle and Tales From Earthsea and that was enough incentive to buy the whole collection.

11.01.2009, 11:04 AM Sazaneyes1991 is offline   Profile for Sazaneyes1991 Add Sazaneyes1991 to your buddy list Send an Email to Sazaneyes1991
Riotmon
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Riotmon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First one was spirited away (no i am not part of the crowd that just joined in with the fad) and was stunned by the sheer amount of colours and imagination, stuff i hadnt seen since the disney classic's.
Then went onto watch mononoke, porco rosso, and whisper of the heart. Amazing movies, although i never seem to like Isao's movies, i keep falling asleep during grave of the fireflies. Miyazaki FTW. And since been an avid fan and collector ^_^

11.06.2009, 08:25 PM Riotmon is offline   Profile for Riotmon Add Riotmon to your buddy list Send an Email to Riotmon
colda
Tanuki

Registration Date: 11.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by colda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

First one I watched is still my favorite, Spirited Away.

11.12.2009, 03:16 PM colda is offline   Profile for colda Add colda to your buddy list
the chronicler
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.13.09
  what got you into it?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by the chronicler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

after your first inspiration, what kept you interested?

11.13.2009, 11:31 PM the chronicler is offline   Profile for the chronicler Add the chronicler to your buddy list
kitsunejr
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.20.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kitsunejr Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by colda
First one I watched is still my favorite, Spirited Away.

Excally the same for me ^.^

11.14.2009, 09:34 AM kitsunejr is offline   Profile for kitsunejr Add kitsunejr to your buddy list
oceanbubble
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.16.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oceanbubble Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My uncle first bought me a spirited away vcd as he doesn't allow me to watch english movies.
Then a year later he bought me a Studio Ghibli collection which i watch non-stop from morning till night XD

That was long, long ago.
I should go and rewatch everything since my memory of the movies aren't very clear anymore.

12.16.2009, 04:19 AM oceanbubble is offline   Profile for oceanbubble Add oceanbubble to your buddy list
tgreenwood
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.09.10
  What got our family into Studio GibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tgreenwood Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first posting. First off belated happy birthday to Hayao Miyazaki!!
I am a father of 4 young children aged 4 to 8 (twins in the middle) and we got rid of cable TV recently so we just watch DVDs or something online. Studio Gibli films were available at our library and I began bringing them back for our Friday movie nights. I studied film in university and love the power of film and have enjoyed a number of children's animated films and found them amusing but always felt overwhelmed or like I was being sensorilly assaulted. Right away I saw and my kids saw that Gibli films were different - they were animations of the highest intelligence and imagination with respect for the attention span of children and I was blown away by how they captivate all our children and are amongst their favourite now of all time. Whispers of the Heart is so low key but it moved us all. And it is amazing to see in a children's movie these long silent takes of a train crossing a horizon or a child waiting in the rain under an umbrella and then Tortoro shows up. I feel grateful for these wonderful films!!

01.09.2010, 04:57 AM tgreenwood is offline   Profile for tgreenwood Add tgreenwood to your buddy list
Damaris
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.12.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Damaris Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kiki's Delivery Service is the one that hooked me but Princess mononoke Closed the deal. I sooo love Spirited away and now my son is hooked. Spirited away is the one he loves most.

01.12.2010, 03:56 AM Damaris is offline   Profile for Damaris Add Damaris to your buddy list
GhibStuFan
Warawara

Registration Date: 09.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by GhibStuFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when I was a little kid befor I even knew what ghibli was, I would watch Kiki's all the time everyday. then a short few years later me and my brother wanted to rent the spirited away dvd. I have been trying to watch all of the ghibli's ever since.

=================================================
(\_/)
(O.o)
(^ ^) It's a rabbit.
=================================================

01.13.2010, 05:35 PM GhibStuFan is offline   Profile for GhibStuFan Add GhibStuFan to your buddy list
Kazna
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.30.09
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazna Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mononoke or Hotaru no Haka i don't really remember, simply because both of them made a strong impression on me I'd never watched an anime movie before them, and now, i know that they (& other ghibli's movies as well) are not only excellent anime but also outstanding movies of japanese animation compared to others. Deeply admire them!

01.17.2010, 02:20 PM Kazna is offline   Profile for Kazna Add Kazna to your buddy list Homepage of Kazna
tiki
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.27.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away was the beginning and E4 showed a few here and kept watching them and was hooked.

02.01.2010, 06:05 PM tiki is offline   Profile for tiki Add tiki to your buddy list Homepage of tiki
Kai12
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.16.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kai12 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Spirited Away first and i LOVED it =D then i saw Howl's Moving Castle and got obsessed with ghibli films xD

02.16.2010, 06:44 AM Kai12 is offline   Profile for Kai12 Add Kai12 to your buddy list
GhibliBaka
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by GhibliBaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had the pleasure of watching Spirited Away on dvd while studying during my media course and thevery next day I went out and bought porco rosso, princess mononoke, my neighbour totoro and Laputa without hesitation and just fellin love completely, I now have all the UK studio Ghibli dvd releases. May the beauty and innocence of studio ghiblis art continue forever.

02.17.2010, 06:22 PM GhibliBaka is offline   Profile for GhibliBaka Add GhibliBaka to your buddy list Homepage of GhibliBaka
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Amen and Welcome to the Tavern, GhibliBaka....

02.18.2010, 01:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Turambar
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.20.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Turambar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to say I got into Studio Ghibli only recently. I saw part of Howl's Moving Castle on TV at Christmas a couple of years back and I remembered watching the film and thinking how amazing the visuals were, but it wasn't that what got me into the series at that point.

In fact, it wasn't until I saw Tales From Earthsea on Film4 last April that I got 'sucked' in to the world of Ghibli (even if some people do say it was a poor Ghibli effort, I still believe it was a stunning film with excellent scenery, voice-work and a great soundtrack). From then on I have been engrossed in the beautiful, and sad in the case of Grave of the Fireflies, worlds of Studio Ghibli and since last April I have managed to watch all but 3 of the series available to the UK.

Post last edited by Turambar on 02.20.2010, 05:07 PM.

02.20.2010, 05:07 PM Turambar is offline   Profile for Turambar Add Turambar to your buddy list
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I was a kid (I must have been somewhere between 8-11), I saw a trailer for Kiki's Delivery Service on a movie I owned and decided I really wanted to see it. When I saw it one day at my public library, I borrowed it right away, and after watching it, instantly fell in love with it.

Years later when I was 13, I was talking with a friend, and the topic of Totoro was brought up. I mentioned that I had never seen it, and he was like O.O and told me that the public library had it and I should borrow it. I did and loved it.

That same friend told me to see Spirited Away when it came out, which I did, and not surprisingly, I absolutely loved it.

It was soon after that I made the decision to buy every Ghibli movie I could find, and as my collection proceeded to grow, so did my love for Studio Ghibli.

I am now completely obsessed with them

Post last edited by maggie on 02.25.2010, 03:10 AM.

02.25.2010, 02:10 AM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks