QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Tales from Earthsea
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Tales from Earthsea » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I never saw it when I was growing up... I saw it after Spirited Away, for sure, and after Princess Mononoke. But I still appreciate it, even with its 80s soundtrack. It's an amazing film, and it really resonated with me.

Oh, but we're supposed to be talking about Earthsea, which I haven't seen yet...

Post last edited by Mush on 09.22.2007, 12:16 AM.

09.22.2007, 12:15 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, had you seen other Miyazaki films of that era before?

P1nk777@Deviant

09.22.2007, 12:16 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO
yeah, think about it
the way stories were told in the 40's for example, were with little dialog, small sets and slow passed stories, now most movies are faster passed, more dialog, large sets and huge budgets

Movies from the '40s had way more dialogue than movies made today do.

09.22.2007, 12:51 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yo not even,
k well maybe not 40s but somewhere around there.

09.22.2007, 12:54 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Pink
Well, had you seen other Miyazaki films of that era before?

Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service... although, I did see Kiki's when I was really young, but I don't think that's what drew me to Nausicaa... I don't know...

09.22.2007, 01:00 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They are the same style of animation though.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.22.2007, 01:10 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm curious. This morning I read an article about Earthsea in The Independent. They said it was very good but didn't have the edge that Hayao Miyakazaki's films do.

That isn't what struck me though. It followed on to say that the father and son arn't on speaking terms. Sorry if this is old news but I havn't been online in a while.

Can anyone help me out abou this? Have they fallen out over Earthsea? I havn't seen it yet but it looks hopeful

09.22.2007, 12:10 PM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Pink
Calcifer

Read a few posts back, we had a discussion about it.

P1nk777@Deviant

09.22.2007, 12:25 PM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Omis
I'm curious. This morning I read an article about Earthsea in The Independent. They said it was very good but didn't have the edge that Hayao Miyakazaki's films do.

That isn't what struck me though. It followed on to say that the father and son arn't on speaking terms. Sorry if this is old news but I havn't been online in a while.

Can anyone help me out abou this? Have they fallen out over Earthsea? I havn't seen it yet but it looks hopeful

ye, i wasnt aware either.. just check out the thread like Pink said, people explained it to me.

09.23.2007, 09:26 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As a first-time movie, yeah it was pretty good, if not wordy. Comparing to standard anime movies like Bleach/Naruto/Pokemon stuff, it's obviously better, of course.

Thing is, Earthsea happens to have more plot holes than Howl IMO, and the pacing isn't very good. Directing wise, well, it's Goro's first time, so we can't really expect Oscar standards.

Miyazaki was against his son directing the film partly because he didn't feel that he was ready to do it. And him being a perfectionist, of course couldn't stand the movie.

It's family politics, basically.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.24.2007, 12:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

good point

and i for one am definitely looking forward to Goros next.
weather Hayaos against it or not
his opinion should have no rule over us, or Goro for that matter

09.24.2007, 10:04 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Thing is, Earthsea happens to have more plot holes than Howl IMO

That's a disturbing thought . . .

09.24.2007, 10:39 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ={HSA}= MORO

his opinion should have no rule over us, or Goro for that matter

i think maybe miyazaki (a god of anime) and his opinions should deffinately have influence in regard to anime... but Goro deserves his chance... he didnt make an absolute peice of trash of a movie.. it's just not up to the standards of his fathers work yet.

09.30.2007, 12:58 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

love this movie,yeah,whats with the dragon thing?meh.
ill just write a fanfic to explain it for me....oh wait,i did!
too bad i cant uplode it to fanfiction.net....
btw,im confused.are therru and arren together now or what?hope so..and yes cob must be orochimarus twin brother.i saw him and i was like"wtf is he doing there?!"

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

09.30.2007, 01:25 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

quote:
[I]btw,im confused.are therru and arren together now or what?

im not sure about his
cuz i havnt read the book or anything,

but maybe its in the book.

Post last edited by ={HSA}= MORO on 09.30.2007, 02:19 AM.

09.30.2007, 02:19 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, in the books they only meet once or twice.

09.30.2007, 04:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

obviuosly.hope he does more,hes brilliant

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.02.2007, 01:54 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
WingedBandit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by WingedBandit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually really liked tales from earthsea. I wasn't expecting to, but I did. I like Arren and his little bouts of insanity or whatever those things were. I felt that I was missing something, but I assumed that was because I haven't read the books. It's not as good as a lot of ghibli films, but I agree that it's not trash either. My sister-in-law disliked it greatly. I think Prince Arren was a little to out there for her.

However, I loved some of the visuals in it, it makes for good Music Video fodder anyway. I also loved the song in it, I thought it was beautiful. Anyway, it could have been much worse considering he's a first time director.

10.17.2007, 04:52 AM WingedBandit is offline   Profile for WingedBandit Add WingedBandit to your buddy list
bijou_
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.08.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bijou_ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ok i know i'm majorly rebooting an old thread here, but i've only just watched tales from earthsea and i have stuff to say haha

i thought i was pretty good (aren't all ghibli films?) but there were so many loose ends that needed tying off in my opinion. like loads of people, the whole dragon/eternal life thing was confusing. i think the film needed more explanation about the power of an object's ''real name''.

and then little is mentioned of the sword. it's magical, but why? why can only arren unleash it? perhaps reading the books would help, but i think the film should have been better worked so that people who haven't read the books can watch it, like the lord of the rings was, for example

i think that arren and therru were some of the best characters i've seen though

anyway, i think it's an amazing first try and i think goro can only go up from here!

tell me what u think

bjxx

02.08.2008, 06:29 PM bijou_ is offline   Profile for bijou_ Add bijou_ to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I rented this from blockbuster today and just watched it, so yeah...OPINION TIME!!!

Ahem!

To be frank I enjoyed it No it was no Nausicaa or Mononoke but it romped along fairly well and had its touching moments. The animation itself was beautiful, espescially the scenery. I particularly liked the scene were arren see's therru singing and begins too cry a little, that was so lovely. Nice song as well.

The only complaints I have are the same as everyone else: LOOSE ENDS MUCH?

Now I have a vague knowledge of the true name part, i'm not sure how maybe I read a little of the books? But anyway i'm pretty sure if they know the true name of something you can control it.

I honestly think I may have read that book? Or if not very similar, but a long time ago.

Thats going to annoy me now.

But anyway! I was dissapointed by there not being many dragons in it (big fan of dragons ) and a lot of the topics in it were merely brushed on and to be honest needed fully explaining. I intend to read the book soon so I can understand it all, which is good. But until then its all going to be rather vague for me.

Major plus though was arren! So cute Even though he made really weird faces. I espescially liked any hugging scenes, him and therru look so sweeet.

03.25.2008, 06:37 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks