QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Ultimate Ghibli Poll
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions The Ultimate Ghibli Poll Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in a, most likely vain, attempt to settle issue this a little;
They are both very good movies for entirely different reasons.. and this is why people have such conflicting opinions.
Both sides of the arguement could be correct but also both sides dismiss an element of the other sides point, wether unintentionally or because of personal preferneces.

10.05.2007, 09:21 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji Amasawa
If you like being upset by all means go ahead.

Wow. The thought that any film could ever be made for the sake of upsetting its viewers is quite frankly disturbing.

Anyway, though I personally prefer Grave of the Fireflies to Howl's Moving Castle, they are both completely different. If people like the latter best, then I respect that choice. I must say, if I was given a sudden choice, I'd rather watch HMC, because it's lighter and very much easier to watch. But that just goes to show that they have very few similarities.

10.05.2007, 11:21 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Wow. The thought that any film could ever be made for the sake of upsetting its viewers is quite frankly disturbing.

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic here, in which case I fully agree with you. Movies, like all forms of art, are capable of evoking--and therefore should evoke--a full range of emotions.

Also, sorry if my anti-HMC comments got out of hand. I'll try to keep my mouth shut about it from now on.

10.05.2007, 06:06 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

actually, i agree that HMC is one of the weaker ghiblis, i wasnt really a big fan.

I just thought i would point out that i called Whisper to win this poll. too bad my 2nd and 3rd places are wrong, what is up with everyone here? i dont think there is one person who dislikes Whisper.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.05.2007, 07:05 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
i dont think there is one person who dislikes Whisper.

I guess that says something about the quality of the film.

10.05.2007, 07:13 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, you have a point, it still isnt one of my favourites, it might be like 4th or 5th. if it was any lower i would be crucified on this board.

long live the Whisper cult

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.05.2007, 07:15 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
well, you have a point, it still isnt one of my favourites, it might be like 4th or 5th. if it was any lower i would be crucified on this board.

Yes, I can see it now....

10.05.2007, 07:33 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

one day i shall see whisper of the heart.till then i just read everybodys movie related comments and descriptions.wow.that sounded soooo dorky.meh,who gives a damn.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.05.2007, 07:43 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i could be wrong, but id say the more hardcore or long-time ghibli fans like Whisper more...
cant say why really cept that possibly the fantasy of the other films grows old while Whisper is an interesting but realistic presentation of the subject matter.

10.08.2007, 12:03 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Considering this is a Poll Vote it does not seem right if everyone is judged on the decision they made. They should not need to explain why they made it to anyone, except the person that started the Thread... Or they should not be told why they are so wrong for making it.

Ok that said please don’t get me wrong I love Whispers of the Heart . But I liked Spirited Away, it was the first Ghibli I watched, and I think it’s the best. Howls Moving Castle is a great film as well. Princess Mononoke on the other hand took my breath away and I have never watched a film that I liked as much as this. I don’t think I will again. I brought Grave of the Fireflies only because it was a Ghibli, if it was not I would have never done so. I don’t like seeing things or watching things like this film portrays. And if it is so called “Good because you feel so much”, well id rather not feel that way. And that’s why it sits in the cupboard to never be watched again. But if you liked this film that’s fine and I will never try to make you see the other side, it’s your choice

10.09.2007, 01:54 AM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Theowne did a good job of illustrating why none of us are being judged for our opinions. I support your choices; all the Ghiblis are amazing films and it's hard to choose between them. Whisper is my favourite, yes, but it's closely followed by everything else, so I won't attack you if your favourite is Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away.

I just don't think you should necessarily throw Grave out just because it's depressing. Some films are meant to shock and disgust their viewers (like the mutilation-worshipping "horror films" popular these days). But Grave is not meant to make you feel shocked and disgusted. I loved it because it made me feel much more appreciative of my life, just like Whisper did... just like all Ghiblis do. Grave just approaches that sentiment from a different angle.

If you don't want to watch it again, that's fine of course. I know most people won't watch it twice. I just am worried that you're misunderstanding its purpose.

Post last edited by Mush on 10.09.2007, 02:08 AM.

10.09.2007, 02:08 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Grave is one of the few films that expresses truth beautifully..
one has to consider that the reason for it evoking such feelings is to express.
Howls can be fitted neatly in amongst the allk the other movies aimed only at entertaining.. Grave cannot.
Admittedly, i too would choose howl over grave and it is higher on my list.

Post last edited by T.C. on 10.09.2007, 06:05 AM.

10.09.2007, 06:04 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That may, in fact, be why I like Porco Rosso so much. Because it confronts the harshness of reality and entertains. You get the best of both worlds.

10.10.2007, 12:04 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

an interesting blend of the social tension of post war Italy and sea planes piloted by pigs and bearded pirating caricatures.

edit (for Maho): and comedy..

Post last edited by T.C. on 10.11.2007, 03:02 AM.

10.10.2007, 08:40 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its also the funniest Ghibli too. That pig has some great lines.

10.10.2007, 08:53 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i agree.
Porco and then Kiki
would have to be the 'funniest' Ghiblis
in my opinion

10.11.2007, 07:27 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Theowne
Baron

Oddly, although Porco Rosso is largely comedic and fun, that scene where Porco watches the pilots ascend to heaven is strangely haunting, I still shiver when I think of it.

10.11.2007, 07:55 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Orphic Okapi
Baron

As I said before, it's that duality that draws me to the film. There's plenty of humor, but lots of deeply emotional material lurking beneath.

10.11.2007, 11:46 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It isn't lurking far beneath either. There are some chilling moments like the military parade and the fascist police watching Porco when he goes to the bank. The underground arms dealer guy he gets his repaired machine gun from: a simple jokey scene it may be but the inference of the kind of society these air pirates operate within is quite chilling: piracy is no joke: murder, theivery, organised crime, probably money laudering, gun running, its not a pretty world, yet over that the story hauls you kicking and screaming - and often laughing and you realise that the movie is neither a comedy, nor a political statement nor a tragedy but a love story. It really has everything.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.12.2007, 08:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1 Porco Rosso
I love the era it's set in, the Milan scenes are especially good. True it does give hints of an ugly world, but that's just how it is. And the way he did it makes it fun for all ages, younger ones probably won't pick it up and older people will usually see it.

2 Laputa:Castle in the sky
Pazu has to be my favorite male character, I can relate to him the most. Sheeta is also a great heroine and Muska is one of my favorite villains. I've always liked the lost race/city theme, I use it alot in my writings.

3 Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
True it upholds crooks as honorable(which they can be to an extent) But they do admit they aren't the hero's they seem to be. Inspector Inigada is really great, his struggle with Interpol is classic.

4 Howl's moving castle
The characters are a bit shallow at first, but they are still enjoyable. Howl isn't my kind of hero, but the immature adult image is oh so familiar. It works pretty well for the story. Scarecrow and Sophie are my favorites in this one.

5 Nausicaa
I like the ending better then the graphic novel's, but on a whole the graphic novel was better. Regardless I still can enjoy it, though I don't watch it as often as other Ghiblies.

Post last edited by PlasticMedia on 10.13.2007, 04:39 PM.

10.13.2007, 04:38 PM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks