QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How long do you are Ghibli fan ?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » How long do you are Ghibli fan ? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chihiros-Dream-Boy
the day Spirited Away went on general release in the UK.

I see a lot of people here saying SA got them into anime.

SA has easily gained Ghibli and anime in general more fans than perhaps any single movie or series. Maybe Akira is the next most significant movie for promoting anime outside of Japan.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.29.2007, 10:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow I'm suprised most of you have been fans for only a handful of years... maybe its a sighn im starting to get older. :p

I've been a passive fan of ghibli films ever since my Mom first rented the old dub of "My Neighbor Totoro". It wasnt untill I had moved out on my own having joined the military that I became an active fan when Princess Mononoke first came out and have been collecting the DVDs little by little as Disney so sluggishly decided to release them ever since.

But it wasnt untill just last year since moving to Tokyo (Fussa-Shi) That I became a truely ravenous fan of the studio Ghibli works. My Movie collection is almost complete now having just recently dropped almost 200 dollars on the Japanese versions of Gedo Senki, Only Yesterday, Ilbard, and just today, I can Hear the Ocean Waves.

I still need to pick up Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamada's... the two that seemed to be able to draw the least amount of attention from me so far. I'll aquire them soon enough though. ^_^()

So I guess overall I've been a fan for nearly 13 years give or take. Oh yeah I turn 26 this October.

Recently I started buying these DVDs for my new nephew and 2 nieces... in hope that they will grow up with a stronger sense of taste for animation. ^_^

I just wish there was a way to get ahold of copies of the Ghibli shorts from the Museum, because I truly wish to watch them again and again. I'll be going for my second visit this wendsday in hopes of seeing a new short... I still havent been able to figure out how often they switch out the short films so I'm going to keep trying to go each week untill I find out. ^_^

I'll take more pictures of the outside this time for those who are interested.

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

07.09.2007, 11:24 AM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first Ghibli film I ever saw was Laputa: Castle In The Sky, but I only realised this much much later... it had been on TV here once or twice I think and I loved it although I only saw the last half.

My real interest began over 10 years ago now, when I saw Totoro and Porco Rosso on TV. Quite how I managed to catch all these on TV in the UK remains a mystery to me, it was so rare! I had no idea how I could get a video of those films, but I loved them both.

About 9 years ago I made a friend who had access to this marvellous invention called the internet! Soon after so did I, and I looked up those films I had remembered seeing. It all fell into place as I discovered the same genius was behind not only Totoro and Porco, but also Laputa, that film I didn't have any clue from where it came..

Seeing as my friend had a credit card and I didn't, I got him to order the US dubbed video of Totoro, which was even better than I remembered it (even with the dub and the awful cropping to a 4:3 aspect ratio). Then DVDs came along and with the Japanese DVD releases I spent horrendous amounts of money as they have been released (I have most of the Japanese releases of the Ghibli DVDs with a couple of exceptions that I keep meaning to get just for the collection).

07.19.2007, 08:36 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
louiselouiselouise
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by louiselouiselouise Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have a question:
How many films have ghibli made?
I made it especially hard!

07.20.2007, 08:27 AM louiselouiselouise is offline   Profile for louiselouiselouise Add louiselouiselouise to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by louiselouiselouise
I have a question:
How many films have ghibli made?
I made it especially hard!

It depends what you count as Ghibli and what you count as a film I guess - for instance, Nausicaa was pre-Ghibli but is often thought of as being Ghibli now. Is On Your Mark a film or a music video? Miyazaki's Ads and TV spots?

I'd say if you make it strictly animated feature films (i.e. not counting museum shorts, OYM, ads, pre-ghibl films, live action bits 'n' pieces) then they've made just 15 (I think) - if you include all that stuff I excluded it'd easily be more like double that.

Laputa: Castle In the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
(does a TV movie count?)
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales From Earthsea

07.20.2007, 09:20 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ocean Waves definitely counts and I think Nausicaa must count, despite it being made before Studio Ghibli was created. Given that criteria I think you should ask "what movies have been made by Studio Ghibli, Miyazaki and Takahata?" Then you can include LupinIII/Cagliostro and several other early movies all of which are fantastic.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.20.2007, 03:28 PM.

07.20.2007, 03:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
aDeL
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aDeL Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I fallen love with the ghibli since I knew "I can hear the sea" when my brother recomended me to watch that anime, its been a long time isn it since 1993-1995

07.23.2007, 08:00 AM aDeL is offline   Profile for aDeL Add aDeL to your buddy list
fuji
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fuji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

About 16 years. I caught Kiki's delivery Service at a com con and was hooked ever since. The hunt for good anime has always been a big part of my life.

I think anime is the most incredible art of our generation. Today's Miyazakis are yesterday's VanGoughs.

08.02.2007, 12:42 AM fuji is offline   Profile for fuji Add fuji to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fuji
I think anime is the most incredible art of our generation.

I agree.

Actually, I also got hooked on Ghibli when I first watched Kiki's delivery service. I was probably ten or twelve.

08.02.2007, 12:57 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I've been a fan for about seven years.

Princess Mononoke was the first Ghibli movie I ever saw; I rented it on a whim from our local movie rental place. I had no idea what I was in for.

quote:

Laputa: Castle In the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Ocean Waves
(does a TV movie count?)
Only Yesterday
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales From Earthsea

Wow, this list makes me realize how Ghibli-retarded I am. I haven't seen Pom Poko, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Yamadas, The Cat Returns, or Earthsea. And here I thought I was a pretty big Ghibli fan.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.06.2007, 09:59 AM.

08.06.2007, 09:54 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The ones you mention, other than Earthsea, are lesser known, and Earthsea isn't released in a lot of places.

Don't feel too bad about it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.06.2007, 11:10 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Got in to Ghibli quite late.

Was the release of Howls in Japan. Managed to get a subtitled version from the internet. My flat mate wanted to see it because her couisin (who is Japanese) recommended her to watch it.

That made me watch some others, it was probably when i watch Totoro that i really got hooked. I bought about half the movies on DVD (thank you optimum releasing ).

Then in Jan 2006 i went to Japan and decided to visit the Ghibli Museum, this just cemeted the deal and i have since bought the rest of the DVDs.

btw i recommend the Ghibli Museum to anyone, even if i was 28 wandering around with loads of Japanese 6 year olds . There is books with the storyboards of all the movies there that are brilliant.

Spungwa

08.07.2007, 05:38 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
jim222
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jim222 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I Loved Spirited Away! Nobody would come to the cinema to see it with me, but when i rented it when it came out on dvd I fell in love. I did not watch anymore Ghiblis until Howls Moving Castle (I saw it in blockbuster saying from the creators of Sprrited away) which I thought was just incredible. After that I was hooked on Ghibli! And I eventually saw one in the cinema last week, Tales from earthsea which also I loved!!

08.07.2007, 08:34 AM jim222 is offline   Profile for jim222 Add jim222 to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i like many rented the fox totoro first dub and thought it was great i was about 6 but then i never saw it again
then afterwards i watched laputa on t.v thought it was awesome my sister brought me spirited then my parents brought me mononoke ever since then i've become a big fan

08.07.2007, 07:21 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Pom Poko, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Yamadas.

Three of these are Takahata movies and the fourth wasn't Miyazaki either which might explain why they are less well known.

Pom Poko is directed by Takahata and is a little light hearted but explores the environmentalist angle without pulling any punches. If you're a "Whisper" fan you'll find it interesting because its a story about the building of Tama New Town in the late 60s and the forests that were destroyed during its construction - but seen from the point of view of the resident forest Tanuki population. The movie makes lots of references to Japanese folklore and the spirit world so unless you're familiar with these you'll miss a fair bit of what you're being told. Its a movie for Japanese viewers mainly.

One scene is shot inside one of the newly built (and still raw concrete) danchi or apartment buildings similar to where the Tsukishima family live in "Whisper" and I got quite an odd feeling at that point. Remember "Whisper" was released a year later and I don't doubt there was a certain amount of collaboration betwen the two anime teams with regard to research materials.

Ocean Waves is a fairly typical high school romance story and was made as a TV movie so is only about 70 minutes long and you can see it had a lowish budget but I still rank it highly as one of the better of these sorts of movies. There is a great deal of emotion in the characters and everything that occurs is believable - nothing fantastical takes place, its all about the interaction of personalities, which I love in anime. It's up in my top four Ghiblis.

Only Yesterday might be the greatest hidden treasure Studio Ghibli has and I can't recommend this movie to you highly enough. Its not terribly well know (Disney are sitting on the rights of US distribution and won't release it as it has content unsuitable for it's family viewing audience) but it is an adult drama/romance. There is no English dub but the subtitled version is freely available (not sure about region 1 though). The main female character is a single 27 year old who goes away for her 1982 summer vacation to pick safflowers at a friends farm. She meets and gets to know the cousin of the farm's owner and the story is about their developing friendship and the dichotomy of her urban Tokyo lifestyle and the mans' love and committment to organic farming: once again, Ghibli is waving its environmentalist banner like crazy.

The nice twist to this movie though is the girl also tells us her story as she was aged 10 and growing up under the usual school and family and social pressures of the mid 1960s. Memories of her ten year old self come back to her unbidden during her night train journey out of Tokyo and revisit her as certain events on the farm spark old memories. The juxtaposition of 1965 and 1982 is beautifully done and the film tells us a lot about elementary school in Japan in the 60s as well as a fascinating look at typical suburban family life.

The principal reason (it appears) that Disney is not happy to release the movie is an extended scene in which the ten year olds are taught sex education including menstruation and how the girls and boys react to this. I think these scenes are some of the strongest and most magical of the whole story and the whole movie is punctuated with wonderful strong scenes of emotion, family turmoil and childhood wonder (as well as a lovely journey the woman undertakes in 1982 - a journey of discovery about herself). I found this easily the most moving story Ghibli has given us and its my second favourite Ghibli release after "Whisper".

Yamadas is another Takahata movie and is based on a newspaper cartoon strip so it's really a string of jokes or short stories about normal Japanese family life in suburbia. Clerical-worker middle aged father, middle aged housewife, teen son, pre-teen daughter and live in granny. And dog. But it is hilarious. I had tears of laughter down my face more than once watching this the first time. Its a great movie to just slip the DVD in, go to a scene at random and relax with for ten or fifteen minutes. The animation style is it's charm - very simple drawings and washed-out pastel colours, I think the art style puts a lot of people off but its masterful how Takahata conveys such strong emotion and great humour with such childishly drawn characters.

All four movies should be in every Ghibli fans collection.

08.08.2007, 05:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Spungwa
btw i recommend the Ghibli Museum to anyone, even if i was 28 wandering around with loads of Japanese 6 year olds . There is books with the storyboards of all the movies there that are brilliant.

Spungwa

I concure! ^_^

I turn 26 this year and I had a blast playing with the water pump amongst a bunch of Japanese children next to the Straw Hat Cafe. The place is full of magic and more places like it should deffinatly be created. =^_^=

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

08.09.2007, 04:56 AM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

been a Ghibli Fan ever since I saw Princess Mononoke for teh first time when it came out in North America in, i think it was 1999

Post last edited by ={HSA}= MORO on 08.16.2007, 12:14 AM.

08.16.2007, 12:14 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
[  «    1  2  3  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks