QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What got you into Ghibli?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What got you into Ghibli? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Godsbye
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.27.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Godsbye Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am a Japanese member who jointed very recently.

Being very often absent due to business trips abroad in 80's, I really did not know well what was happning in Japan then.

One summer day in 88, I was wandering in a night active town in Tokyo and occasionally found a movie theater open all through night, showing some anime and yakuza films.

I decided to enter for spending a night, saying to myself "I hear there are beautiful works among Japanese animes films... let's see" At that time I had never heard about Ghibli or Miyazaki.

After a cheep Yakuza film, Grave of Fireflies started. I immediately started to be absorbed in the film, being impressed the beauty and horror of the fire scene by air attack. After the show, I was too shocked to stand up from my seat.

As it was late night, there were not many audience - only 10 or 20 men - most of them were more or less drunk, I guess....me, too. But I felt everyone was deeply moved.

Then, Totoro started. I felt finally saved by this pastoral fairy tale.

I was wondering how I would be if I had seen them in the other order...

That is how I encounted Ghibli and started to see other Ghibli works little by little. I fell in love each time.

Although I knew nothing about Japanese Anima at that time, I was sure that Ghibli works would become appreciated worldwide in near future, considering their artistic quality.

It took more time than supposed but I am glad they are now.

04.04.2009, 08:28 PM Godsbye is offline   Profile for Godsbye Add Godsbye to your buddy list
azumangas
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by azumangas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would of been around 12, I think. It was when Spirited Away was first released on DVD. My brother decided to rent it, he watched it and said it was a really good movie and I should watch it. So I decided to then give it a try. I thought it was so-so, well I knew it was a good movie, but for some reason I wasn't really 'in' to it, don't ask why because I don't even know. Anyway, for some reason, it stuck in my head. I couldn't stop thinking of it for months, till I finally decided I had to buy it, so I did, and after my second viewing, that was when I finally discovered the brilliance of Studio Ghibli. I then started collecting all Studio Ghibli films, and loving them all. But still, Spirited Away remains my favourite.

04.14.2009, 08:15 AM azumangas is offline   Profile for azumangas Add azumangas to your buddy list
Parker
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.19.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Parker Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mine has to be HOWELS MOVEING CASTLE

Then i did some re-serch of who did the film
Now im still trying to get them all but im faileing

Still just have 1

04.14.2009, 12:32 PM Parker is offline   Profile for Parker Add Parker to your buddy list
edtheradical
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.15.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by edtheradical Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I started with Spirited Away. I loved the movie and music. I watched Princess Mononoke next and thought it was even better. Mononoke is my favourite movie!

I really loved the music in both movies and started checking out some of hisaishi music. I found out liked music in alot of other ghibli films. So I started watching them and have become a ghibli fan .

04.15.2009, 01:45 AM edtheradical is offline   Profile for edtheradical Add edtheradical to your buddy list
Haru
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.19.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Haru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just happened to catch Kiki's Delivery Service on tv while flipping channels (it was on Toon Disney) about 7 years ago. At first I thought it was another typical Disney movie, but after watching it for awhile I realized I was totally wrong, and I loved it!

So then I started doing research on the internet about it, and discovered Studio Ghibli. This was also around the exact same time that Spirited Away won an Oscar, and since I always watched the awards show, I remember seeing clips from the movie and thinking it looked so quirky and cool and different. So I went out and bought the dvd, and was just blown away. At the end of the movie, my jaw was just agape at how amazing it was.

Been a huge fan ever since!

04.21.2009, 04:14 PM Haru is offline   Profile for Haru Add Haru to your buddy list
Claudius
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.26.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Claudius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

People who seemed to know what they were talking about kept saying things like 'best thing since sliced bread'.
I gave it a crack and that was that.

04.26.2009, 08:53 AM Claudius is offline   Profile for Claudius Add Claudius to your buddy list
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.15.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 1976 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

... just because alot of my favourite anime are Ghibli (Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Tales from Earthsea etc).
I never pay much attention to who makes what but with the brilliance and beauty of Ghibli films you begin to notice and remember.

The first digital production to capture my heart was a game called 'Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' (another Japanese company/production) the story, characters, visually... it was just beautiful and its the same with Ghibli films.

As it stands (and I don't see it changing in the future), Ghibli is easily my favourite anime film studio.

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day. ~ Slartibartfast, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

05.15.2009, 09:19 PM 1976 is offline   Profile for 1976 Add 1976 to your buddy list Send an Email to 1976
Theorgrin
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.23.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theorgrin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the first film I saw, was offcourse Spirited Away (which I think is an awful translation, by the way), but I did'nt know anything about Studio Ghibli. Rather than that, I was amazed by Hayao Miyazaki and started to find out a little more about him and what movies he had made. I probably read something about studio ghibli at the time, but obviously I did'nt think much about it. So, I started to aquire some of the other films Miyazaki had made, and saw Tonari no Totoro, Kiki's delivery service and Howl's moving castle. Kiki and especially Totoro struck me as being one of the best movies I had ever seen. Soon after I bought Princess Mononoke and Nausicäa, and though the stories where stunning and charachters where breathtaking, they did'nt really reach the level of extraordinarity like Tonari no Totoro did. Now, don't misunderstand. If Totoro is a 99 of 100, then nauscäa and mononoke is 95.

None of the films I had bought until then was in the Studio Ghibli colletion, so I where still pritty unaware of the Ghibli existance. Then, Porco Rosso was put up on the movie theaters across Norway, as it was only first now dubbed to Norwegian. In some display cases in the theater I saw several ghibli artifacts, dvd's ect, and I saw the connection. So, suddenly a new world opened, with movies like grave of the fireflies (the most touching movie I have yet to see), pom poco, laputa, the cat returns, only yesterday, tales from earthsea and the movie that beat Tonari No Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, which is, in my opinion, not only the best studio ghibli film or best anime or animation, but the best movie period.

05.24.2009, 04:22 PM Theorgrin is offline   Profile for Theorgrin Add Theorgrin to your buddy list Homepage of Theorgrin
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first Ghibli movie was Spirited Away...it was shown on TV very late, like 2 o'clock at night, so I was hell tired and I felt asleep unfortunately...but I really wanted to watch the WHOLE movie because it was so beautiful and a unique, captivating storyline...so a few days later I rent it and watched the whole movie in one breath!

Of course, later I bought it for my collection. After I also saw Howl's Moving Castle, which is still my favourite Ghibli movie I got addicted and watched The Cat Returns, Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaa, Pom Poko, Grave of the Fireflies (so sad ) and many, many more...

Post last edited by Kemi on 05.25.2009, 05:58 AM.

05.25.2009, 05:56 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
tealight
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tealight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was first exposed to Kiki's Delivery Service, which I absolutely loved. To this date it is still my favorite Ghibli movie. After Kiki's Delivery Service, I watched Princess Mononoke and then I started watching all Studio Ghibli Movies thereafter.

05.25.2009, 05:23 PM tealight is offline   Profile for tealight Add tealight to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kiki's Delivery Service is very cute I agree

05.28.2009, 09:38 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What got me?? Hard to remember now. My son got me into anime in the 90's when he was in college. He told me about the great anime that came to the theater in Minneapolis, Princess Mononoke. I didn't see it then. I saw a couple anime music videos with scenes from Miyazaki films, I think that was what really got me to look for his work. I found a vhs tape of Princess Mononoke, I still have it. When Disney came out with Ghibli works, I bought them.

I guess you could say, it was the AMV's that really got my interest in Miyazaki's work started. I believe the first one I saw was to the song, My Blue Heaven, and featured mostly My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Whispers of the Heart.

05.28.2009, 10:59 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Spirited Away in 2002 in Year 3, and loved it. I loved the music, especially. It was so emotional and I had never heard anything like it before...
Then I saw Nausicaa in 2004, and I was hooked. Completely and utterly.

05.29.2009, 06:19 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Found the two AMV's that got me into Miyazaki films. You can download them free, just sign up at amv org

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/...info.php?v=1838

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/...info.php?v=2228

05.30.2009, 11:16 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think... it was my uncle.
He's always been an anime guy (Hes young for an uncle, only 19) and he showed me Castle in the sky.

I was just intrugued and amazed, i never knew i could like something id never tried before, anime.

Then i went on to watch spirited away, pom poko, porco rosso, howls moving castle, totoro and more

Love it
x

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

06.02.2009, 02:43 PM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

welcome to the Tavern, reecetard...

start a thread and introduce yourself...

06.02.2009, 09:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
stride
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.26.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by stride Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first film was Spirited away.

It was on Toonami on cartoon network. I started watching it and really enjoyed it. Then in march I watched it again on the Internet and i was reading comments about this guy who made this film he had other ones too. so i watched howl's moving castle I liked it a lot then i just started watching them all. Now Kiki's delivery service is my favorite one and now here i am

Post last edited by stride on 06.26.2009, 05:45 PM.

06.26.2009, 05:42 PM stride is offline   Profile for stride Add stride to your buddy list
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome new people! I haven't posted in a while. This is a great little welcome thread.

07.02.2009, 02:37 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
Lime Soda
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lime Soda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my first was Kiki's Delivery Service

07.05.2009, 10:18 PM Lime Soda is offline   Profile for Lime Soda Add Lime Soda to your buddy list
funny life210e
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.14.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by funny life210e Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when i saw spirited away on tv in cartoon network but my first was kiki delivery service when i got it from the library

Post last edited by funny life210e on 07.14.2009, 01:28 PM.

07.14.2009, 01:24 PM funny life210e is offline   Profile for funny life210e Add funny life210e to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks