QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Sub or Dub???
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Sub or Dub??? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kemi
To me, it usually doesn't feel 'right' when you see Japanese letters and writings in the movies, and a Japanese landscape or something and then they are talking international languages like English and Spanish. I prefer subs all the way! And well, I have to admit that the Dutch dubs are simple horrible. No one of you would prefer Dutch dubs over subs, I am sure of that!

And by the way, Dreamsequencer...this is VERY off-topic...I am into viking metal as well! Especially Turisas, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum and Tyr.

I'M LISTENING TO BATTLE METAL RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!
Finally, someone who appreciates true music!

06.02.2009, 04:04 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  Pom Poko - Only subsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, in this case the dubbed version is unfortunately a no no. It is actually not bad voice-wise, but unfortunately it has been purged as to remove any reference to the tanukis' test-icles (hopefully I am allowed this word...) which play a big (pun intended) part in the film. When I started watching it I didn't understand why these animals were so incredibly endowed, until I read something about the film and Japanese folklore and also realized that the subs are much closer to the original (making much more sense). At lest I got the excuse for another (partial) viewing
To start with I wasn't sure about this film, as I didn't find the trailer too endearing, but now I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

Arkadian

06.24.2009, 09:51 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Even though I haven't seen it with the original audio, I think I would prefer Pom Poko dubbed, unlike the others. This is because of the voiceover. For something like that to work, you really have to be able to hear it. Reading the words off the screen would become awfully confusing!

06.24.2009, 10:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Even though I haven't seen it with the original audio, I think I would prefer Pom Poko dubbed, unlike the others. This is because of the voiceover. For something like that to work, you really have to be able to hear it. Reading the words off the screen would become awfully confusing!

Well, I found confusing when they referred to them as "pouches" . I though these animals were marsupials

I have to add that for a change the dub doesn't have that ghastly American accent. Shame they couldn't bring themselves to be more faithful to the original...

Post last edited by Arkadian on 06.24.2009, 10:16 AM.

06.24.2009, 10:15 AM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Arkadian
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

Well, I found confusing when they referred to them as "pouches" . I though these animals were marsupials

I found that quite easy to see past... when the tanuki suddenly expand their scrotums, it speaks for itself really.

06.24.2009, 05:28 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
taysockhoon
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.26.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by taysockhoon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I prefer watching in SUBS but listen in Japan

07.26.2009, 12:25 PM taysockhoon is offline   Profile for taysockhoon Add taysockhoon to your buddy list
lily_x
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.27.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by lily_x Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I speak Japanese so this is a no brainer but I watch subs sometimes just to see how people translate it. Is that weird? haha...sometimes they make weird mistakes, and I feel sorry for foreigners who can only see those wrong translations.

07.27.2009, 12:47 AM lily_x is offline   Profile for lily_x Add lily_x to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lily_x
I speak Japanese so this is a no brainer but I watch subs sometimes just to see how people translate it. Is that weird? haha...sometimes they make weird mistakes, and I feel sorry for foreigners who can only see those wrong translations.

Yeah yeah, I know what you mean. It really breaks you heart when you hear one thing but read something else, doesn't it?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.27.2009, 09:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
phenolphthalein
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.08
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by phenolphthalein Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

this means i've never truely understood any of it, i don't know japanese X

07.28.2009, 01:10 AM phenolphthalein is offline   Profile for phenolphthalein Add phenolphthalein to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by phenolphthalein
this means i've never truely understood any of it, i don't know japanese X

There, there *hugs*

Take comfort in the fact that most official subs out there are fairly accurate in terms of both words and meanings, so you're hardly missing anything.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.28.2009, 09:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
InkAndPixelClub
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.20.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by InkAndPixelClub Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My general preference is for subtitles, but it kind of depends on the situation. With the subtitles, I get to hear the original voice actors selected by the people who made the film or show and their performances. Sub also aren't quite as beholden to the characters' moth movements as the dubs are and while they still sometimes have to paraphrase a little in order to fit the text onto the screen before the character stops speaking, I generally feel like they are more accurate to the original dialogue.

That said. I don't have a problem with dubs in general and I will watch them in some situations. My eyesight is not great and I have to sit fairly close to the screen in order to read subtitles. So if it's something I'm just watching casually and the dub is of good quality, I'll go for the dub. I have no problem reading subtitles in movie theaters, but a subtitled version of a theatrically released film isn't always available.

I tend to be a little more "serious" (or "crazy" if you prefer) about watching Ghibli films, so I usually make a point to watch them with subtitles. But I also try to make a point of seeing them in theaters when I can. "Ponyo" will probably only be showing at a couple of theaters near me, so it could end up being an effort just to go and see it. I seem to remember that one of my local theaters was showing a subtitled version of "Spirited Away" back when that came out, but it wasn't until after the dub had started showing. So if I want to see "Ponyo" as soon as possible (which I do), I will probably end up seeing the dub.

The Ghibli dubs are generally pretty good, though I wish they had a few less "face" actors and more professional voice actors. I think the dubs on the later releases tend to be better, though I haven't sat down and watched all of them as dubs. The original U.S. home releases of "Kiki" and "Totoro" came out just around the time anime was starting to become really mainstream and before anyone had really figured out who the audience for these films was. So while the dubs are still largely faithful to the original films, you do get the feeling that there's an attempt being made to make the films more palatable to U.S. audiences and kids in particular (like how Kiki's letter to her parents is rewritten in English.) We actually still have our VHS copy of "Totoro" (in addition to the DVD) because my husband likes the older dub, particularly when the catbus says "Next stop: Little sister."

07.28.2009, 02:25 PM InkAndPixelClub is offline   Profile for InkAndPixelClub Add InkAndPixelClub to your buddy list
Basmah
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.29.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Basmah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the movies subbed and dubbed but I like watching them subbed more and more ,,

07.29.2009, 05:45 PM Basmah is offline   Profile for Basmah Add Basmah to your buddy list
busymer
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.07.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by busymer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Definitely subs!!!!!

08.07.2009, 03:03 PM busymer is offline   Profile for busymer Add busymer to your buddy list
Chrisss
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.11.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chrisss Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

kiki's first comment is what i was going to say word by word kinda creepy

08.14.2009, 09:21 PM Chrisss is offline   Profile for Chrisss Add Chrisss to your buddy list Homepage of Chrisss
Chrisss
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.11.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chrisss Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

and jiji in sub version sounds creepy

08.14.2009, 09:21 PM Chrisss is offline   Profile for Chrisss Add Chrisss to your buddy list Homepage of Chrisss
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I always prefer subs, no matter how good the dub is, because I want to see the work how it was originally intended to be. The director was, at least with Miyazaki and Takahata's films (as I understand it), present when the voices were recorded, so they could guide the voice-actors in the exact way they wanted. Regardless of the language, the original characters sounded a certain way, which is overrided with something different with a dub.

Of course, there are implications with subs too, a lot is undoubtably lost in any translation, but I want to hear how the characters were originally meant to sound, even if it means I have to read some text at the bottom of the screen.

Still, I think it has a lot to do with what version one first sees. If I had seen a dub first, I probably would prefer it over the original (if it was good), because I would associate those voices with the characters. A different voice on an already established character would sound weird.

08.16.2009, 08:42 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
nausicaa_jublia
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.19.06
  ...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nausicaa_jublia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i like subs better..coz i prefer original ones

09.20.2009, 11:30 AM nausicaa_jublia is offline   Profile for nausicaa_jublia Add nausicaa_jublia to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88
The director was, at least with Miyazaki and Takahata's films (as I understand it), present when the voices were recorded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzVKtGCJx...re=channel_page

09.20.2009, 10:01 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
kbirrane
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.04.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kbirrane Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For me it seems to be instinct just to go and select the original language version as this is the way that the film was originally shown in its original form. Its the same with if a company makes a special edition of a film or a pan and scan version of something, i will always watch it in the way it was originally shown in its original country.

I have been watching lots of subtitled films for a while now so when i watch a ghibli film with the subs its just like watching it if i knew japanese, i tend to speed read the film whilst at the same time watching the visuals. I suppose its like anything after a while you just get used to it. I wish i had learnt japanese though as it would make it a whole lot easier, shame i find it hard enough to talk in my own language...

10.04.2009, 03:35 PM kbirrane is offline   Profile for kbirrane Add kbirrane to your buddy list
Sazaneyes1991
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.31.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sazaneyes1991 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I prefer subs unless the voice acting is REALLY good (Spirited Away). It's nearly impossible for an imitation/translation to be as good as the original. And I don't really find it distracting to read whilst watching a film.

11.01.2009, 10:17 AM Sazaneyes1991 is offline   Profile for Sazaneyes1991 Add Sazaneyes1991 to your buddy list Send an Email to Sazaneyes1991
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks