QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its fine, you can be honest with your feelings round here, no-one will think you're dorky if you say you get emo over stuff.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.30.2007, 04:19 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the part in Pom Poko when shoukichi reunites with Ponkichi and the other tanuki on the golf course is one of the most emotional scenes in a ghibli (or any movie) for me. Also about the last 5 minutes of Grave of the fireflies.

07.01.2007, 10:48 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree on PomPoko, the whole last 10-15 minutes or so is pretty emotional for me, especially when they go out in a blaze of glory and recreate all the lost countryside and even the people living in the apartments see their (presumably) long dead mother and run down the hill to greet her, its a beautiful scene.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.02.2007, 05:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I also really like your reply Seiji. I know it's silly but i can't help crying a little everytime I watch that scene in Pom Poko. It's the bit you said Saddle with the lady supposedly seeing her dead mother. It's a special part of the film for me. Nice to know others like it as much too

07.03.2007, 04:43 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Paladin
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Paladin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

man theres are so many scenes I feel were greatly moving that its hard to pick a few that wernt already stated. Sorry if this post is long. ;0

*Spoilerific* :p

Nausicaa
------------

The Scene were Princess Kushana reveals her scars of her battles with the inscects and states "Any man Lucky enough to be my husband will see worse than that,"

I loved this line because first it shows off her great strength in how much she has adapted to such a harsh life and maiming wounds. and Second that even though she is such a harsh person to deal with she is still a woman through and through with a desire to be wed.

It was the single line that made me fall in love with her character.

Laputa Castle In the Sky
-------------------------------

The scene with Shita and Pazu in the crows nest were you can see the two able to blisfully enjoy the others pressense after all thats occured.

Grave Of the Fireflies
--------------------------

Every one states the scene at the end were setsuko dies but for me its the scene were the music starts playing and we see Seita's memories of Setsuko running and playing like she should be able to... that where he too loses his will to live. That was on my first viewing though. And indeed I was in utter tears at that point. on repeated viewings though I found that the scene were Setsuko's spirit leaves the tin and that gorgeous music box like music starts playing to be truely moving. The memories and emotions of the entire movie well up in that entire moment, and again the tears flow. :p

My Neighbore Totoro

In the new dub I adored the scene right after Satsuki yells at Mei. Her crying feels so incredibly realistic here. shes so sad and hurt that she can barely cry and it comes out only in tiny high pitch squeels... I wish I could give her a big hug at that moment. -^_^-

Kiki's Delivery Service
---------------------------

First I loved the scene were Kiki accidentally breaks her mothers broom. She already felt bad enough as she was but to accidently destroy an heirloom passed down by your parent is truly heart breaking as you know theres no replacing it.
The second is once Kiki is finally able to fly again albiet haphazzardly and sees the wreckage of the blimp on the clock tower. The way the music plays out there with her expression you can perfectly feel the epicness and magnitude of the situation, where she realizes what she's really up against. were she realizes its time to either do or die.

Only Yesterday
-------------------

I adored the scen were Taeko's mother tells her not to brag about having gotten the part first... as adults we well understand why but for Taeko its as though her parents are out to crush any form of happiness she could possibly take from having been offered the part at all. I adore how she begins to take strength from her favorite tv show's theme song and by the end of the tune is marching triumphantly onward toward a new day. ^_^

Porco Rosso
---------------

I love how all those hardend Pirates all turn to butter in Gina's pressence.

Whisper Of The Heart
---------------------------

The scene were group is playing Country Roads together if my absolute favorite. That house is a inspirational power house were artist gather. ^_^

I also lived the scene were Shizuku is storming off insulted by Seiji repeating Stupid Jerk! Stupid Jerk! Stupid Jerk! then when she tries to shrug it off to go back to her reading how her eyes are so heavy with tears due to her mixed emotions.

Princess Mononoke
------------------------

The scene were Moro is dead with the forest spirit turned into a crazed demon searching for its head. I loved the scene were San stabs Ashitaka in the chest with his sisters crystal dagger. He takes the wound and continues to try and comfort her even in the midst of that developing hell because he knows she needs to release her frustrations and accepts being beaten and stabbed just to calm her. I just felt those actions so deeply revealed how he feels for san in those moments.

Spirited Away
-----------------

I dont like the train scene as much as others do because for me it signals the final 2 acts of the movie which really saddens me every time because I know the story is almost over... I need to watch it again though to better see for myself what other are seeing that i seem to be missing. ^_^()

The Cat Returns
--------------------

the scene were Haru is basically falling to her death has so much excitement and terror to it. Theres no way they can survive unless something amazing happens. They way they go flipping through the wind feels so realistic... you can feel the wind yourself in those moments.

Howls Moving Castle

I adored the scene were Howl happens to spot Sophie sleeping and sees how beautiful and serene she is. I believe thats the scene were he trully falls in lover with her.

Gedo Senki
---------------

The scene were Taeru sings that lonely song to the wind and how Arron is overcome with emotion at her sight. I also really love how Arron is so realistically terrified when he realizes his shadow is approaching.

Havent seen Pom Poko or Yamadas yet so I cant speak for those ones... I'll be watching "I can hear The Oceans Waves" tonight so ill post on that one later ^_^

~A Humble dreamer of Enigami~

Post last edited by Paladin on 07.09.2007, 02:46 PM.

07.09.2007, 02:39 PM Paladin is offline   Profile for Paladin Add Paladin to your buddy list Homepage of Paladin
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Easily the ending of Grave of the Fireflies....

07.09.2007, 03:09 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are moving moments in all of the films--and I pretty much agree with the previous posters. The one scene in all of the Miyazaki films which moves me the most is in Porco Rosso--when Gina sees Porco's plane from the garden and there's a flashback to their youth. The scene along with the music moves me to tears every time.

07.09.2007, 06:16 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
There are moving moments in all of the films--and I pretty much agree with the previous posters. The one scene in all of the Miyazaki films which moves me the most is in Porco Rosso--when Gina sees Porco's plane from the garden and there's a flashback to their youth. The scene along with the music moves me to tears every time.

Thats why I always read your imdb reviews.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

07.09.2007, 06:45 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
atomic_chicken5
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.17.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by atomic_chicken5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Howl's MC
Scene where Howl sees Sophie sleeping & she's young again. This is the first confirmation he gets of sophie's true identity.
Although i can't remember if that is only part of her dreem sequence or not. >

Post last edited by atomic_chicken5 on 07.18.2007, 11:37 AM.

07.18.2007, 11:36 AM atomic_chicken5 is offline   Profile for atomic_chicken5 Add atomic_chicken5 to your buddy list
^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by atomic_chicken5
Howl's MC
Scene where Howl sees Sophie sleeping & she's young again. This is the first confirmation he gets of sophie's true identity.
Although i can't remember if that is only part of her dreem sequence or not. >

Ok... this brings up a very intersesting point... thank u for reminding me. In the Movie Sophie is young only when see is thinking about Howl. If this were the case then Sophie is having dreams about Howl. Maybe romancie dreams or maybe something more but either way its explainable. Course theier is the sane"You look your youngest when you sleep."But still...

07.20.2007, 08:07 PM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Alighieri
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Alighieri Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hard to pick just one. The very end of Spirited Away when Haku tells Chihiro not to look back and she leaves him in the spirit world always breaks my heart.
Also the part in Nausica when she has the flash back about the baby ohm (I don't know how to spell that). Listen to the music durring that part next time. It always sounds so familiar to me but I can't figure out why.

07.20.2007, 11:02 PM Alighieri is offline   Profile for Alighieri Add Alighieri to your buddy list
atomic_chicken5
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.17.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by atomic_chicken5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Also the scene in mononoke where san tries to break free of the demon Okoto

07.24.2007, 11:49 AM atomic_chicken5 is offline   Profile for atomic_chicken5 Add atomic_chicken5 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Ok... this brings up a very intersesting point... thank u for reminding me. In the Movie Sophie is young only when see is thinking about Howl. If this were the case then Sophie is having dreams about Howl.

No, the ageing curse doesn't apply when she's asleep. When she's asleep she looks normal - note she has her dark hair back which doesn't happen even when she's awake and besotted in love with Howl and looks young and gorgeous again.

Howl probably looks through the curtain of her bed to check her face since he probably has guessed from her character and behaviour that this old hag is in fact the girl he met (and saved) in the town.

07.24.2007, 05:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Like a few others, I find it as impossible to pick a favourite emotional scene as I would to pick a favourite Ghibli overall.

So here are a few...

I think I would have to go along with DBallred's answer and say one of my favourite emotional sceens would be the flashback scene in Porco Rosso showing when they were young and how Porco and Gina were made for each other. They really should have always been together.

Of course there are scenes in Grave that really wring out the emotion but strangely one of the most emotional scenes for me the last time I saw it was when they were on the beach and they were so happy, but Setsuko is already developing sores on her back. Just the foreknowledge of what is about to happen to her and wishing I could just let them know... it really choked me up.
I guess having daughters around her age and empathising doesn't help.

In Laputa I find any scene with Hisaishi's stirring score emotional. The opening credits. The choral destruction of Laputa. Sheeta's memories of Gondola... I love that score.

Totoro. The end sequence where Granny sees them on the road and is overcome with emotion at Mei being safe... again, this is probably me being a parent kicking in.

Only Yesterday's closing credits, naturally. Also the bit where the boy who likes her in school speaks to her, just inane small talk. But she is so elated she floats home. I love that because it just reminds me of what it was like that first time you knew someone liked you that way.

Nausicaa willing to let herself be pushed into the acid lake rather than let the baby ohm go in without trying to protect it. Also the resurrection scene is shamelessly uplifting it's impossible not to be touched. Hisaishi's next best score after Laputa doesn't hurt it eaither.

Ummm, I guess that will do.

07.24.2007, 08:57 PM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

{First post!}

Just a few to add... beware of spoilers!

It's impossible for me to compare between movies, so I'll just post the most moving scene in each one I've seen.

In Nausicaa, I definitely agree that it's when she tries to save the baby Ohm from dying in the acid lake. It's such an emotional self-sacrifice, it really shows how much she cares for these insects.

Grave of the Fireflies is full of very heart-wrenching moments. Whenever Setsukuo says "Seita!", it just sounds so authentically like a four-year-old... it tears my heart out. I can't stand the thought of such an innocent little kid going through so much, and taking it so courageously... I don't think I can write more about this movie because my eyes are already watering and my throat is getting dry. It's just not right....

I saw Kiki's delivery service when I was really little (probably the first Ghibli movie I saw; I remember seeing trailers that Castle in the Sky would be 'coming soon'... heh, it took until Spirited Away came out for me to see it). But I still remember when that boy with the glasses is trying to build a pedal-powered plane, and in the ending credits (with that uplifting song!) he's built a fully functional one, so he can keep up with Kiki. I have to say, Miyazaki's passion for flight has really inspired my own.

Castle of the Sky, well... it's a tough call, but it's probably when the Goliath is shot down by Muska's robots. First of all, I'm an airship enthusiast, which makes Goliath just about the coolest thing I've ever seen in a film. But that's not why I picked it. I just can't believe he'd be so heartless as to turn on his own soldiers... I know they're not all good people, but when they panic and try to escape on their ship, I always sympathize with them. Because they try, but it's of no use... I can't stand that.

On Your Mark... it's a tough call, but I'd say it's when the police officers first try to resuscitate the "angel" (hito no tori?), and she drinks from that little pouch. Well, that one, or when they first are picturing taking off with her, and she looks down at them and smiles that empathetic, Nausicaa-esque smile. Six and a half minutes; two perfect moments... amazing.

Whisper of the Heart is probably my favourite Ghibli movie, but nobody's mentioned the most touching scene (in my opinion). Near the end, Shizuku is in the antique shop, and she walks down to the basement and looks over in the corner. You see Seiji there carving his violin, but then he disappears; it's just her memory. You really feel like you're in Shizuku's mind, and you can feel her loneliness and nostalgia. I love that scene.

(it's in my signature for the moment)

Post last edited by Mush on 08.01.2007, 01:58 AM.

07.30.2007, 02:01 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka Whisper of the Heart is probably my favourite Ghibli movie, but nobody's mentioned the most touching scene (in my opinion). Near the end, Shizuku is in the antique shop, and she walks down to the basement and looks over in the corner. You see Seiji there carving his violin, but then he disappears; it's just her memory. You really feel like you're in Shizuku's mind, and you can feel her loneliness and nostalgia. I love that scene.

If Whisper is your favourite you're in good company here. I think Spirited Away is the favourite Ghibli of the masses and Howl seems to be the favourite of the lovers but Whisper is definitely the thinking man's favourite Ghibli. (that'll get me some flack, I can feel the flamethrowers being fuelled up as I type).

But if I was to describe my favourite moments in that movie I'd end up relating the entire storyboard to you - it's a wonderful story made up of an endless stream of delightful images, fantastic artwork, delightful conversations and expressions and warmth and strong heartfelt emotion, there is so much in there - story of realism, love story, rites of passage, spiritual journey, a successful connection between two people that mirrors throughout the failed one between Nishi and Luisa. Its got so much in there I think I need to go watch it again

Oh and BTW, nice first post...

07.30.2007, 04:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i'd say for would be:

spirited, when haku and chihiro part ways

pom poko ,when the racoons lose their fight for the forest

whisper, at the end when the sun rises over the city

the cat returns , when toto baron and muta leave

and totoro for me had a moment nearly every scene for me

07.30.2007, 08:12 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gina's flashback is without a doubt the most touching scene Miyazaki has ever directed. It's probably my favorite scene out of any of his movies.

07.30.2007, 09:58 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Queeny
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.31.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Queeny Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for me its gotta be when Pazu and Shita get to the memorial grave site and see all the broke down robots
good stuff

Post last edited by Queeny on 07.31.2007, 11:56 PM.

07.31.2007, 11:52 PM Queeny is offline   Profile for Queeny Add Queeny to your buddy list
Moroko
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Moroko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The end of Whispers of the Heart is really cute. It's kind of random but it always make me feel happy.

quote:
Once you accept that all the matter in the universe can be compressed to the size of a push pin, it isn't hard to wear stripes with plad.
Albert Einstine

A distraction

08.01.2007, 05:27 PM Moroko is offline   Profile for Moroko Add Moroko to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks