QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Favourite Ghibli Film
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Favourite Ghibli Film Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  ]
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

True. It does have a lot of symbollism/allegory/meataphor, but none of it is really personal (for me anyway). It is a great movie!!! (except when it's the English dub...), but to me, it's a nice story, and nothing more.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

Post last edited by OnYourMark on 01.30.2007, 03:56 AM.

01.30.2007, 03:54 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
pathfinderap
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pathfinderap Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
I think... tht everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Spirited Away winning is a bit well dumb.

It's not dumb, it's subtle, some people miss that

01.30.2007, 10:41 AM pathfinderap is offline   Profile for pathfinderap Add pathfinderap to your buddy list
translucentstilllife
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.14.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by translucentstilllife Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. Spirited Away
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
5. My Neighbor Totoro
6. Kiki's Delivery Service
7. Porco Rosso
8. Whisper of the Heart
9. The Cat Returns
10. Howl's Moving Castle

and I've yet to complete my Ghibli collection.

Grave should be up there, but I just didn't enjoy it enough to have it on my list. Maybe when I give it another watch.

Post last edited by translucentstilllife on 02.14.2007, 11:27 AM.

02.14.2007, 11:24 AM translucentstilllife is offline   Profile for translucentstilllife Add translucentstilllife to your buddy list
tamasaburo
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tamasaburo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

mine has got to be pom poko its plot is hilarious. laputa comes in a close second tho. and now that i have watched it castle of cagliostro is in the top 3

Post last edited by tamasaburo on 02.19.2007, 07:44 PM.

02.14.2007, 01:20 PM tamasaburo is offline   Profile for tamasaburo Add tamasaburo to your buddy list Send an Email to tamasaburo Homepage of tamasaburo
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favorite is a toss up between Porco Rosso and Castle of Cagliostro. I can never decide which I like better! Laputa would come in close though, the music alone keeps me re watching it.

02.14.2007, 03:43 PM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
Denscafon
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Denscafon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. tie with totoro and grave of the fireflies, completely different spectrums
2. princess mononoke
3. tie with nausicca and laputa

02.16.2007, 08:50 PM Denscafon is offline   Profile for Denscafon Add Denscafon to your buddy list
kawaii.kitten
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kawaii.kitten Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My all-time favorites are definetly the cat returns and spirited away. Closely followed by kiki's delivery service that movie rocks

02.19.2007, 04:58 PM kawaii.kitten is offline   Profile for kawaii.kitten Add kawaii.kitten to your buddy list Send an Email to kawaii.kitten
:Dom:
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by :Dom: Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't just pick out 1 favourite so I'm going to do a top 5:

1. Howl's Moving Castle
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4. My Neighbour Totoro
5. Spirited Away

They aren't in order because I can't do that so it's not a top 5 really.

02.19.2007, 08:28 PM :Dom: is offline   Profile for :Dom: Add :Dom: to your buddy list Send an Email to :Dom:
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Porco Rosso is my personal favorite; Howl's Moving Castle my least favorite. In between those two "bookends," it's simply too difficult for me to decide.

07.30.2007, 11:07 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Totoro for me

07.31.2007, 07:17 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Tanuki
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.29.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like Spirited Away and Pom Poko best ^^.

07.31.2007, 07:47 PM Tanuki is offline   Profile for Tanuki Add Tanuki to your buddy list
Ray15
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1: Whisper of the Heart
2: Howl's Moving Castle
3: princess mononoke
4: Spirited Away
5: The Cat Returns
Thats not in order, just my favorites

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

07.31.2007, 07:52 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, I'm going to attempt to make a list. This is going to be really tough, but I think I can do it. Keep in mind that in my placement of each film, I'm disregarding its actual quality; the list is entirely based on my personal taste. I'm also (obviously) not including the films I've yet to see, which is unfortunately quite a few.

1. Porco Rosso - My personal favorite. I love the time period, the plot, the music, the characters, and, well . . . everything. In addition, it contains both of my two favorite scenes from a Ghibli film. Pure magic.

2. Whisper of the Heart - This one was so close to Porco Rosso, it was tough to decide between the two. Eventually Porco won out, but I think this movie actually speaks to me more. I am Shizuku. Only, er . . . male.

3. Princess Mononoke - This seems an odd choice after my first two were such close, personal films, but Princess Mononoke was the first Ghibli film I ever saw, and as such, it holds a special place in my heart. And Ghibli has never reached such operatic heights.

4. My Neighbor Totoro - If you can watch this movie without smiling, you are not a human being. Or a magical forest creature. As a bonus, Totoro is the cinematic home of my favorite Ghibli character, the Catbus.

5. Castle in the Sky/Spirited Away - I really can't figure out which I like better. I think that Castle in the Sky has more standout moments than Spirited Away, but Spirited Away is more refined and less exhausting as a whole. Either way, they're both wonderful adventures.

6. Nausicaa - It's like Princess Mononoke, only without a lot of the polish--the dated soundtrack can be grating, the script lacks subtelty, and the plot is overly busy. Don't get me wrong, it's a great film--but its flaws are more apparent than those of the films above it.

7. Grave of the Fireflies - I know I'm obviously not supposed to enjoy the movie, but even so, I didn't find it as emotionally shattering as most do. It did move me a great deal, but there were parts I found uneven and slow, and they detracted from the movie's overall impact. Still, it's definitely one of most emotionally powerful animated movies ever made, and it's certainly worth watching.

8. Kiki's Delivery Service - This honestly deserves to be higher on the list, but I know why it isn't. I will probably have a lot of people calling me sexist, but I really think the reason I didn't enjoy this as much as the others is because I'm a guy. I simply couldn't relate to Kiki because I've never been an adolescent girl. Of course, this blatantly contradicts what I said previously, about relating to Shizuku, so I guess I really have no idea.

9. Howl's Moving Castle - It had a lot of gorgeous animation, good characters, and some nice scenes--but then plot meandered and took a sudden dive and pretty soon I had no idea what was going on. I liked it, but it wasn't great.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.03.2007, 09:27 PM.

08.03.2007, 01:59 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi plot meandered and took a sudden dive and pretty soon I had no idea what was going on.

You keep saying that but you don't identify at which point the plot went off course for you. Lets discuss it on another thread, maybe you'll find the movie is worth watching again.

(usual disclaimer: I'm not a HMC fanboy, I too think its one of the weaker Ghiblis)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.04.2007, 04:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Okay, I'll post in the Howl's Moving Castle thread. But what did you think of the rest of my list?

08.04.2007, 10:29 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Top 5

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
4. My Neighbor Totoro
5. Howl's Moving Castle

haven't seen much else, hoping to see more soon

08.16.2007, 12:28 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Cronhole
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cronhole Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At the moment its gonna be Spirted Away , if a film can make me be quiet for and entire hour or so it deserves praise

but havent seen Porco Rosso, BUT THE DVD IS IN MY HAND AND HEADING FOR THE DVD PLAYER, so that might change in 2 or so hours

08.19.2007, 07:42 PM Cronhole is offline   Profile for Cronhole Add Cronhole to your buddy list
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favorite is almost everyone's least favorite
My Neighbors the Yamadas

08.22.2007, 01:47 AM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
oginochihiro
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.22.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oginochihiro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited Away.
Howl's Moving Castle.
Whisper of the Heart.
Totoro.
Nausicaa.
Mononoke.
Kiki.

Only the first three are necessarily in that order.

08.22.2007, 08:25 PM oginochihiro is offline   Profile for oginochihiro Add oginochihiro to your buddy list Homepage of oginochihiro
SmaXa
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SmaXa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Howls moving castle then Spirited Away.

i'll try and see mononoke, nausicaa and whisper soon (with gotf soon after that)

08.25.2007, 11:59 PM SmaXa is offline   Profile for SmaXa Add SmaXa to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks