QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Takahata Vs Miyazaki
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Takahata Vs Miyazaki » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Agreeing that there is no 'better director', it's all just a matter of personal taste. My first two Ghibli movies were Takahata's (Grave of the Fireflies & Whipser of the Heart), and as much as I enjoyed them, I wasn't enticed to see another Ghibli film until my friend told me Ponyo would be in theaters on her birthday. Seeing it two years ago has spawned a major obsession of mine as you can see, and while I enjoy the whole Ghibli library, it's Miyazaki's films that really get me talking.

It's all about that sense of pure fantasy escapism. Miyazaki makes you forget everything else you were doing. You just drop it and get absorbed into his world. The films build themselves up perfectly. They take such absurd concepts or characters and ease you into them. I know "magic" is an overused word when it comes to describe his movies, but it suits them so well.

03.15.2011, 09:27 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You can't compare these two directors, they are so diffenerent (as has been said, Takahata is realistic and Miyazaki fantastic). And btw Takuto, Whisper of the heart is not a Takahata movie, it's directed by the late Yoshifumi Kondo

03.16.2011, 05:28 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whoops, I knew that! ^^; Thanks for the correction. Really a shame he didn't get to make more movies.

03.16.2011, 03:41 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks