QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What got you into Ghibli?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What got you into Ghibli? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Beanz
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.15.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Beanz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would have to say that my first ghibli film was Spirited Away and that's what really got me looking, i've seen almost all of them so far and hope that more will be coming my way

11.16.2008, 12:28 PM Beanz is offline   Profile for Beanz Add Beanz to your buddy list
Anime-Freak22122
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.25.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Anime-Freak22122 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched -Castle in the sky- when I was 6 I think.
And now i'm hooked I've allmost watched all of them!

11.25.2008, 04:16 AM Anime-Freak22122 is offline   Profile for Anime-Freak22122 Add Anime-Freak22122 to your buddy list Homepage of Anime-Freak22122
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Spirited Away on TV a couple of years ago. I thought it was very good, but didn't really try to discover any other Ghibli films, mainly because I thought no other animated film could possibly be better than this (boy, was I wrong).

Then I saw it again a few months ago and remembered just how good it actually was. I checked IMDB and noticed that a film called Princess Mononoke was pretty high up the list of greatest animated films ever and that it was directed by the same guy. Soon later I saw it and was completely blown away!

So then I continued to dig deeper and till today I have seen most of the films from Studio Ghibli. I find all of them incredible! Miyazaki, Takahata, Kondo and the rest are all true geniuses and amazing artists.

11.29.2008, 12:16 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Sarcasm Master
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sarcasm Master Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At March, my history teacher was talking about Medieval Japan and all the samurai. It was in some Thursday, like the 27th, that we first watched Princess Mononoke. I thought it would be some Mulanish movie, but it wasn't. We stopped when Little Red Riding Hood (Ashitaka) first saw the Forest Spirit ( a lame name if you ask me ) after encountering the big bad wolf (Moro) and her offspring.
The next day, we stopped at the jerky scene, and everybody was like either "Aww!", "Eww", or "What?" Then Okkotonushi's downfall because of the hunters, and we finished it Monday.

A few weeks after, I got the DVD from Barnes and Noble.

How the heck did I remember that when there are more important things to know than some movie?

Post last edited by Sarcasm Master on 11.29.2008, 08:03 PM.

11.29.2008, 08:00 PM Sarcasm Master is offline   Profile for Sarcasm Master Add Sarcasm Master to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Master
Forest Spirit ( a lame name if you ask me )
I think in Japanese it's Shishigami. I'm not sure how it translates but my guess is that "forest spirit" was just something the translators made up to get the gist across.

11.29.2008, 10:38 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Skyflakes Crackers
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.06.08
Location: In Yakushima forest, in search of kodamas and white wolves. And looking for a fat cat in Tama.
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Skyflakes Crackers Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Spirited Away in the Month of Miyazaki special in Cartoon Network. I watched Princess Mononoke after that a couple of years later when a friend showed it to me. Then the Ghibli Fever set in when I got The "Complete" Studio Ghibli Collection.

@Sarcasm Master: I agree with Mushka. The Japanese name is Shishigami, which may translate to the Deer God, if it helps you. It just gets the whole concept of a powerful Animal God that is the cornerstone of the survival of the forest.I read some of your posts before I joined and it was something.

12.06.2008, 04:31 PM Skyflakes Crackers is offline   Profile for Skyflakes Crackers Add Skyflakes Crackers to your buddy list
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I first watched Princess Mononoke late last year in class. I couldn't experience it fully, as it was broken up, but it fascinated me. I wasn't hooked yet, but I was certainly entranced and interested. I did research on the internet and found out some vague info about Miyazaki works, but nothing about Studio Ghibli. I loved it, but forgot about it.

About 3 months later I was in the DVD store and Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, two movies I remember researching, were on sale. I suddenly remembered Mononoke, and I bought the two of them. I first watched Howl's Moving Castle, and I was in love. I remember that the moment when old Sophie was walking up the huge hill to find Howl was the moment I realized I had discovered something special. I watched Spirited Away the next night, and I loved it even more.

At first, I was a little Miyazaki biased, and only watched his films (Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service were the two I watched next), but I soon opened my eyes to Ghibli as a whole, and I have now seen Grave of the Fireflies and Whisper of the Heart (one of my favorites). I still have plenty to see, and am exited to continue my Ghibli journey. Nausicaa, Totoro and Only Yesterday are next on my hit list.

12.10.2008, 09:39 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first Ghibli was Kiki's Delivery Service when it first came out on video ten years ago. I've been a Ghibli fan ever since.

12.12.2008, 01:46 AM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first one, four years ago, rather at random, was "Spirited away" ("El viaje de Chihiro" in spanish). It was a pleasant and suprising experience (I'd never seen anime; and I'm not young) but I can't say I loved it at first sight, just liked it. Afterwards, "Mononoke" and "The grave of fireflies" made me even more interested in "those japanese animation guys"... But only after seeing "Totoro" and "Porco Rosso" (and seeing again and again Chihiro) I recognized myself as a truly Ghibli fan, and a very enthusiastic and grateful one.

12.12.2008, 12:43 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Super Dollfie
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Super Dollfie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mononoke-Hime was the first Ghibli film I knew of, first when it was theatrically released in the UK and I read a review or two of it papers; years later, when I was heavily into Björk I learnt of a fan-made video comprised of clips from Mononoke-Hime set to "Isobel;" I kept on being reminded of it and meaning to look it up but then forgetting about it in this way and it ended up being Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi that was the first Ghibli I experienced, when it was in cinemas here in the UK in 2003. I thought it was okay-ish, not particularly moving but that was only to be expected when I have high expectations for something. I bought the UK DVD of Mononoke-Hime soon after that and liked it far more; now that was a moving film for me. The same went for Kiki and Laputa when I got those on DVD, quite despite my high expectations that I had only seen them on DVD, not in a cinema. However, the only others since then that have done this are Pom Poko and Mimi o Sumaseba, and the former of those I now discount due to the discovery that Frédéric Back's Crac ! does much the same things (well, those things which moved me) even better and in a much shorter time frame. Come to think of it, I also adore the opening titles of Nausicaä and, most of all, Totoro; they're as moving for me as Laputa's opening even if the films in-between the credit sequences are not so much.

12.21.2008, 10:25 PM Super Dollfie is offline   Profile for Super Dollfie Add Super Dollfie to your buddy list Homepage of Super Dollfie
bloodyh
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.25.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bloodyh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think my first Ghibli was Laputa : The Castle in the Sky, I went crazy about it and out of the cinema I even got the giant poster after sharing my thoughts with the manager

Then I bought the collector edition of the DVD, and then I got the Mononoke wooden edition, the Chihiro's wooden version, and every single collector DVD I could get for my money

It's been like 5 years now I discovered Ghibli, and unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see Totoro, and I've been told Tales from Earthsee wasn't that great, it's not Hayao anymore

But I needa get my hand on all the Ghibli DVD's I don't have!!!

12.25.2008, 06:24 AM bloodyh is offline   Profile for bloodyh Add bloodyh to your buddy list
MiyaTaka
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.19.08
  What (in the shortest and most authentic way i can explain) got me intPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyaTaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To be honest the first Ghibli I ever saw was Spirited Away. I watched it when I was young and really liked it, but it didn't click in my head that it was an anime at all. I didn't even notcie that it was from another country. I just sort of considered it a really good cartoon movie, and it remained one of my favourites for a while. Then I forgot about it, maybe had a reminise and watched it again once or twice, held respect for it, but more or less forgot all about it.

I remember when Howls Moving Castle came out at the cinemas. I remember seeing the posters everywhere. And unfortunatly I remember making no connection whatsoever with it and Spirited Away. I remember shugging it off and not thinking twice about it. Now I think, what a foolish child I was, and am ashamed.

It was later when Howls Moving Castle was playing on one of the pay TV channels that I made the Spirited Away connection. So I watched it. I watched it and I loved it. (Despite the fact that i did not understand it at all). So, shortly after finishing it, I watched it again on the +2 channel, and managed to understand all the things I'd missed the first time. I really liked it, but I wouldn't say that was the moment I was "hooked".

After Howls I rented out Totoro, but didn't like it at first at all. After watching the epicness that is SA and Howls i felt that Totoro was too light, and slow. I liked it, just no where near as much as the others. Another roadblock in my intergration with ghibli films. (Now of course after rewatching with a Ghibli mindset I love Totoro just as much as any other Ghibli.)

After that, I was pretty satisfied, and not at all curious about what else was out there. Again, very ashamed. But luckily when strolling through the video store one day I came across a section that until then, had remained unoticed. I left the store with a copy of Princess Mononoke. Which I watched, loved, purchased, and added to my small collection. Then, once again, whist still loving the films, Ghibli just slipped out of my mind.

And then the most wonderful thing that could happen to any Ghibli fan happened to me. The Art Gallery of NSW was holding an anime exhibit. I went and saw it, but was slightly disapointed by the fact that it was all AstroBoy type stuff. But...as a side to the exhibit the Gallery was showing 1 Studio Ghibli film every Sunday. And it was complelty free to watch! That was the most peaceful term of my life, with my little secret train trip into the city to go to the musem every Sunday, where I could be inspired watching with other fans for free. The gift store at the Gallery sold some of the movies, and a few weekends I came home with $30 short. I was extremely sad when the whole thing ended.

Maybe even a year later, after forgetting about Ghibli and being distracted by other things, I hired out Laputa, (one of the many films that unfortunaly I had missed at the Gallery). I loved it and got completley reabsorbed into Ghibli once more.

Months later I met my friend, who had seen SA and Howls Moving Castle. He was the only person who understood Ghibli on the same level and the same way as me. For a while I thought I was the only one who was effected by the films in such a strong way. But then as he got really into all of ghibli films, I got into them all, all over again. I watched all the Ghibli's I had missed (which i am once again ashamed to say was a lot more than i had realised). I discovered even more amazing films that I am going to love forever.

And although my transition into complete Ghibli adoration was over many years, and in many different ways, going through ups and downs of the level of obsession, I feel as though now I can say that my love for Ghibli is complete, and stronger than ever. I am proud to say that I can still be inspired (on many different levels) by films like Spirited Away that I first watched and loved when I was only 7 years old.

That to me, is the power, brilliance, magic and genius of Ghibli.

Post last edited by MiyaTaka on 01.12.2009, 11:16 AM.

01.12.2009, 11:13 AM MiyaTaka is offline   Profile for MiyaTaka Add MiyaTaka to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well.... What first got me into Ghibli... (this is gonna be long, I can feel it...)
Well, my experience with Ghibli films is a bit like HataZaki's and Skyflakes Crackers.

In elementary school, I remember watching bits and pieces of Castle in the Sky, but never really connecting it with anything else. I didn't know about anime then, so I just thought it was a nice cartoon movie. (the only part that stuck in my brain was the beginning where sheeta falls from the sky and the crystal lights up and she floats down. Even as a child, I was moved by that scene for some reason.)

I remember when Spirited Away came out when I was about nine or ten, and I remember seeing the dvd at the video store a lot, and I remember wanting to see it because it looked interesting. (probably because it was about a kid who was about my age, 'cause once you think about it, there's not many movies made about ten year olds, for ten year olds, because usually if a movie is made for people in the age bracket so often lables 'tween' (about 10-13 yrs), you will usually find movies full of tween romance and unpopular people trying to be popular and stuff like that (think disney channel)... that didnt make much sense, did it? anyway, even when I was ten, I wanted a movie that was intelligent and not dumbed-down for people who just want to watch mindless television and movies.)

Ahem... back to the subject.

Soooo....In (was it?) 2006, when Cartoon Network did their 'month of Miyazaki' (wish they'd do it again!) I was bored one friday, and watched the first few minutes of Nausicaa... and was hooked. I came in at the beginning, but for some reason missed the title and I looked for the movie everywhere since then, for about a year, but with no title that I remembered, I got nowhere. I'd ask my friends at school 'have you ever seen this anime movie? it's about a girl in blue with red hair who flys on a glider and she has a little yellow pet squirrel thingy? And it's like, set in a post-apoctaliptic future?' Needless to say, with that description, they all said they had never heard of it.

Aaaaannnddd then one day, some time later, I was on walmart.com and for some reason I clicked on the anime movies button, and..... there it was. Right on the front page there was a picture of the dvd case of Nausicaa! So I wrote the title down and commited it to memory, but had no time or way to get the movie and watch it. But then I researched the movie and it looked interesting, but then life got in the way and Nausicaa was partially forgotten for a time.

Then, in eighth grade, an anime club was formed at my school, and as an end of the year treat, we watched 'Howl's' and I fell in love with it and wanted to watch more. So, after that, I watched Spirited Away, and fell in love with that one, too. Then, I was watching every Miyazaki film I could get my hands on (or find on youtube. Many thanks to studioghiblifreak!) I quickly discovered the magic and imagination and intelligence of Ghibli films. After discovering nausicaa.net, I watched all the Ghibli films I could find on the 'net and bought all the ones i could find at barnes and noble. The rest I an still collecting.

So, now I am a total Ghibli fan!

01.12.2009, 04:20 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
TanTanMSK
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.14.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TanTanMSK Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ive just kinda gotten into ghibli recently. id seen a few wen i was little but then one of my friends was talking about them and lent me princess mononke and ive been really into shibli eva since. ive seen most of them now and am a total fan!!!!!!!!

i didnt even know that this whole site existed until now but its really good i like reading all the stuff every1 writes!

01.14.2009, 09:31 AM TanTanMSK is offline   Profile for TanTanMSK Add TanTanMSK to your buddy list
Decarabia
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.17.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Decarabia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first Ghibli film I saw was the Cat Returns at my friend's house and I was hooked immediately! After I started collecting all of the Ghibli films on DVD and my favourite of all has to be Grave of the Fireflies.

01.17.2009, 11:29 AM Decarabia is offline   Profile for Decarabia Add Decarabia to your buddy list
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For me, too, it was Channel 4 TV. I vaguely remember seeing their intro and then being presented with Whisper of the Heart. (My very 1st Ghibli film.)

Not too sure about my awareness being properly tweaked but it must have been around the time she was walking out in the Sun and marvelling about how hot/bright the Sun was. Or something. By that time the clarity and beauty of the animation finally impacted on me and I just oggled for all I was worth. The detail of houses, streets, characters-you name it, just made me stay until the end. (Yeah, the story is ok too.)

Glad to as well, really, as I just might have missed one of the most wonderful scenes of the whole film, that being the 2nd scene with the Baron. That and the setting Sun and the music is symphonic. Sorry for perhaps going on a tad but that is how the film caught me and I have been hooked on all Ghibli films ever since.

Thank you.

03.06.2009, 01:38 PM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Wingman
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.07.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wingman Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I had seen Princess Mononoke when it first came out, but it wasn't until Howls Moving Castle first hit DVD in North America when I became really into Ghibli films.

I was over at my friend's house, hanging out in his basement. He was a big fan of Ghibli's films, Miyzaki's in particular. So he started up Howl's, and it became my favorite anime of all time. Everything about the film drew me in, and really got me interested in the rest of the studio's movies. I went out and purchased Howl's Moving Castle the next day, and have been collecting them since.

03.07.2009, 06:10 PM Wingman is offline   Profile for Wingman Add Wingman to your buddy list
Rowan of Rin
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.18.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rowan of Rin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Spirited Away in fuzzy black and white on a broken T.V in high school, then a few months later, someone lent me their copy and I got to witness the splendour that is Spirited Away (albeit in Cantonese with Eng subs, I didn't know any Japanese at this point, so I though they were speaking Japanese!).
From then on I have sought out each movie, and relished it, now having seen each film at least 5 times each

03.31.2009, 10:43 AM Rowan of Rin is offline   Profile for Rowan of Rin Add Rowan of Rin to your buddy list
FlowerGirl95
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlowerGirl95 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmmm.... Thats a hard one. I guess it was when i first saw Ki Ki's Delievery Service. I liked the film very much and I was about 10 then. Then, 6 months later, My mum introduced me to her friend at work (Fizz). While they were having coffee in the kitchen, Fizz told me to watch Spirited Away. I was a bit weary at first, but then I got into it. I said to her I loved it!! 2 months later was my Birthday, and I got Princess Mononoke. That was one of my favoutie films . I loved the music and oriental feel to it. Now, im 13 and drawing digital art dedicated to Studio Ghibli. I'm also trying to increase my Ghibli selection. I recently watched Tales Of EarthSea with my Dad. It was okay, but it was alot different from the book.
Overall, I love Hayao Miyazaki!

04.02.2009, 06:21 PM FlowerGirl95 is offline   Profile for FlowerGirl95 Add FlowerGirl95 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

All I can say is look at my post on the previous page...

Well, now here she is,
Flo-wer-girl-nine-five
Came to join us here,
Jumpin', man, let's jive!

She has joined us now
Hope she'll stick with us,
Ghibli is a trip,
Better than a bus!

Tavern welcomes you,
Have some fun in here,
Come and meet us all,
Lots of fun and cheer!

Hahaha, not one of my better rhymes, but welcome to Ghibli Tavern, Flowergirl95... You are encouraged to post as much and as often as you like as this will allow you to meet and know all of the rest of us in here who are lovers of Ghibli...

Again, Welcome....

04.03.2009, 03:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks