QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Sub or Dub???
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Sub or Dub??? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Generally I go for subs. Nine times out of ten the Japanese voice acting is miles better than the English. But if the dub is good then I will watch that; take Bleach for example: I prefer to watch the dub than have subs 'cause the voice acting is good in English. The Buso Renkin and Tsubasa Chronicle dubs were horrible so I went for subs.

I've never been "forced" to watch a Ghibli film with subs though, since the dubs have always been good.

My Anime List

10.23.2008, 01:37 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
danielson
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.24.08
Subs all the wayPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by danielson Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If theres one thing that annoys me the most its looking at some mystical character or someone that is meant to be educated and hearing some redneck voice because its been dumbed down for a wider market subtitles is the only way to watch an anime if your not able to speak it or cannot understand it because the translation is more direct.

10.24.2008, 08:20 PM danielson is offline   Profile for danielson Add danielson to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
The only way to watch for me is in Japanese without subtitles. Usually, of course, I have to watch it with subs a couple times until I know the basic gist of the dialogue, but otherwise I think subtitles distract too much from the images (which, with animation, is pretty much the point).

I haven't tried that yet, but I think that I will the next time I watch one of the Ghibli films, sounds interesting.

I have always prefered the English sub with Japanese dialog.
When I first saw "The Cat Returns", all of the setup instructions were in Japanese, hiragana I believe, and I couldn't at first find the Japanese dialog. I first watched it with Chinese dialog and the English subtitles. It was very jarring to the ear (mine, anyway) and it took me awhile to decipher the characters and finally find the Japanese dialog, a language that I am more familiar with... It was almost soothing to watch it again...

10.26.2008, 02:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Beanz
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.15.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Beanz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Generally when watching an anime i like to watch the sub version but i have found that the dub for Ghibli words well, as well as wathcing sub for live action films works better.

11.16.2008, 12:32 PM Beanz is offline   Profile for Beanz Add Beanz to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like both. Personally, I like watching sub, but I enjoy having the option for dub for lazy non-reading days or introducing friends to Ghibli.

11.17.2008, 12:08 AM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
Anime-Freak22122
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.25.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Anime-Freak22122 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Both are great but sub is better for me!

11.25.2008, 04:10 AM Anime-Freak22122 is offline   Profile for Anime-Freak22122 Add Anime-Freak22122 to your buddy list Homepage of Anime-Freak22122
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As other posters have already said it is much better that the option to watch the film either in English (dub) or (subtitles) exists.

If it is a good film then usually the English dub is best as you can keep your eye on the film that bit better and gain a better first impression of it and its message.

If the film is a goody then go for the subtitle option as it, generally-in my humble opinion, conveys much better the actual essence of the film.

By this I mean that I think that the USA dubs cut too many corners when presenting their version of what is actually being said. Comparing the two and what they both offer leaves me, at any rate, in doubt that the subtitled version is the one to - eventually - opt for.

Heh, But I suppose that the best option of all is to watch it in its native Japanese. If only I could/should live so long.

Peace.

03.09.2009, 01:30 PM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Rowan of Rin
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.18.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rowan of Rin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have never found dubs that I though did the movie justice, so subs always for me.
The American voice just rarely fits the situation, especially in Ghibli films, and I also find that Japanese voice actors put more emotion into their roles.

03.31.2009, 10:34 AM Rowan of Rin is offline   Profile for Rowan of Rin Add Rowan of Rin to your buddy list
Theorgrin
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.23.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theorgrin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I NEVER whatch them dubbed, that just takes all the charm out of them, for me anyway.

05.23.2009, 10:57 AM Theorgrin is offline   Profile for Theorgrin Add Theorgrin to your buddy list Homepage of Theorgrin
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To my ear, as someone before me stated, it is like the Japanese actors put more emotion into their voiceovers than the English speaking dub-ers do.

Which is why I prefer to listen in Japanese and 'read' in English.

But, as Bookworm sated, for 'lazy days', like now, I will listen to the dubbing (currently watching the "Chobits" series this way... Third or fourth time watching this series...

I like Sumomo!!!

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.24.2009, 01:39 AM.

05.24.2009, 01:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm a dub fan all the way. I think the quality of the dubs has gotten much better over the years, and current dubs are mostly as good as the original Japanese.

I probably have the same reasons that other dub people have, I just don't like having to try to keep up with reading subs and miss most of the animation. There is also the fact that things spoken in your own language use the inflections and nuances that you are familiar with, the Japanese language doesn't. I've asked producers about this at anime cons. These people work with the Japanese creators. They told me the Japanese creators don't understand why we would want to read subtitles when we could be listening in our own language.

Well, to each his own, and it's great we have the choice now.

Another interesting thing I found out. They do spend a huge amount of effort to make the translation faithful to the original Japanese script. Any changes have to be ok'd by the Japanese creators. I know you'll point out the dubs done by 4kids, Sailor Moon, One Piece, ect. But those very censored and cleaned up cubs were done at the request of the Japanese companies and creators, they wanted the anime's to be ready for TV broadcast to children in the US. So don't place all the blame on the ones who do the dubs.

So if you like subs... great, go for it, .... and if you prefer dubs, good for you....... AH, just one thing, watch Escaflowne with the subs, it's one of the old dubs that they botched up pretty badly.

Post last edited by oldwrench on 05.24.2009, 06:44 PM.

05.24.2009, 06:43 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I prefer subtitled versions, although I have to agree it distracts you... But I prefer to watch a movie originally most of the time.

Though I also like the dubbed versions of Kiki, Nausicaa (very good!) and Princess Mononoke..

05.25.2009, 06:13 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by oldwrench
AH, just one thing, watch Escaflowne with the subs, it's one of the old dubs that they botched up pretty badly.

Really? I never bothered switching to dub yet, but if it's that bad, I'll have to dig out my copy and see again.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.25.2009, 10:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Arkadian
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.09.09
  The american accent puts me offPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Arkadian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Films like Lupin or even Totoro are for me a no-no in the American version as their accent is far too strong. In any case, as a general rule I don't mind subtitles, so I do not have to put up with the dubbed version.
However this doesn't apply if their are dubbed into Italian (my mother tongue). I used to watch a lot of anime when I was a kid (Lupin, Heidi, Harlock, Candy, Jeeg Robot, Mazinga, etc) as they are very popular over there (but not the feature films), so Italian in my mind is the "wright" language. For example I have watched Kiki in Italian and that was perfectly fine.
One more thing, when I was little a lot of animation wasn't dubbed at all (like Popeye, Mickey Mouse, etc.) and to this day I cannot stand the Italian version. I have never had any problem whatsoever understanding what was going on, even if the dialogue was a bit of a mystery. Once my son is old enough I will introduce him to Totoro in Japanese (he won't be able to read subtitles, nor will he be able to understand English anyway...) and I am sure he won't have any problems.

A.

05.26.2009, 02:03 PM Arkadian is offline   Profile for Arkadian Add Arkadian to your buddy list Send an Email to Arkadian
Kemi
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, to me all of the Dutch-dubbed versions sound AWEFUL! Though I watched Howl in Dutch for my little sister..she's 6 and she loves that movie

05.26.2009, 02:28 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One of the differences in acting quality can be chalked up, at least, to this trend in recording: Watching the Mononoke backstage documentary, you can see that the Japanese voice audio recordings (or a significant portion of them, at least) are done with all actors recording the scene together. Whereas various American documentaries I've seen show actors recording their lines alone, for I'm guessing scheduling or monetary reasons, and then spliced together to form the final scene. Either way, it'd be hard to convince me this doesn't have an effect on the overall quality of the voice acting. Although there are plenty of moments in the Japanese recording sessions with lone actors as well..

Post last edited by Theowne on 05.27.2009, 12:01 AM.

05.26.2009, 10:29 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would definitely go for sub.

The dubs of the older Ghibli films always seem half-arsed, if you ask me. The newer ones not so much, but just because a dub has famous people doesn't mean it's good.

But Cate Blanchett in Ponyo, I can't wait!

05.27.2009, 04:33 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
Kemi
Totoro

To me, it usually doesn't feel 'right' when you see Japanese letters and writings in the movies, and a Japanese landscape or something and then they are talking international languages like English and Spanish. I prefer subs all the way! And well, I have to admit that the Dutch dubs are simple horrible. No one of you would prefer Dutch dubs over subs, I am sure of that!

And by the way, Dreamsequencer...this is VERY off-topic...I am into viking metal as well! Especially Turisas, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum and Tyr.

Post last edited by Kemi on 05.27.2009, 04:51 AM.

05.27.2009, 04:49 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think on other forums I've heard of Dutch dubs as being particularly bad... is that true?

05.27.2009, 12:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kemi
Totoro

SO true! I don't know what it is...but the sound of our language just doesn't fit with those kind of movies I guess..

05.28.2009, 09:37 AM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks